Irregular yolk sac, bleeding

Kona84

Reaction score
This is my first post here I’m sorry it’s a long one.
I found out I was pregnant on New Years Eve. My last period was 25th November. I only had sex once in December, 10th CD16 and from previous months ovulate on CD20 so I’m putting my conception date at around the 14th December.
Everything was going okay nausea, sore boobs, tiredness and peeing loads.
Then on Monday 20th I had some brownish discharge, same again Tuesday which turned into heavy bleeding and clots. I had my first midwife appointment on the 22nd so I told her about the bleeding and she got me a scan with the EPU for Thursday. I bled all day and at about 10:30pm I went to the loo and passed a palm size clump of material.
I cried and told my partner, I went to the EPU scab on Thursday and had prepared myself for the news that I have miscarried.

I had an abdominal scan and no baby, the sonographer said she needed to do an internal scan. I didn’t really see the point but went through the motions. The internal scan picked up a 6mm fetal pole (sorry don’t know if I’m saying that right) but an irregular sac. No heartbeat. Because of the measurements they have to rescan in a week. I go back Thursday.
Of course I’ve googled since getting the news. I could not believe that after everything that I had passed that anything would still be in there.
The reason I gave my dates at the top is because the sonographer said I measured just at 6 weeks.
Now my last period date puts me at 8 weeks but I know when we conceived and that puts me at 5 +5 yesterday.
Is 5wks 5 days too early for a heartbeat on an internal scan?
Has anyone else had an irregular sac and gone on to have a successful pregnancy?
I am preparing myself to go back next Thursday and be told that I have miscarried.
But I get this glimmer of hope that my dates are out and the bleeding is like so many women experience and just one of those things.

I came across an some posts where the miscarriage was one twin and the surviving twin went on to full term, would a miscarry of a twin be picked up by the sonographer this early?

I’m spending the week off work sick and resting up.

I'm so sorry ur going through this..
I dont know anything about irregular shape sacs at all but I do know how awful the wait is to finding out if things are ok.
The girls on here are great and I'm sure they know something or they've been through same and I hope ull get some answers soon X

Sorry you are having such an awful time hun, from the dates you’ve given you should be almost 8 weeks pregnant, they date the pregnancy from first day of last period not the date of conception unless you have pcos or anything else which causes unusually long cycles, even though it’s been 5.5 weeks since conception that is still considered to be 7.5 weeks pregnant, so to be honest usually they would expect to see embryo and heartbeat at between 7 to 8 weeks, I seen a heartbeat on my scan at 6weeks 2 day (6.2 from date of last period/4.2 days from when I know I conceived if you get me) equally I’ve had a scan when I should have been 10 weeks and seen just a sac and that pregnancy unfortunately ended in a miscarriage, I do think you should potentially prepare yourself for bad news as you know your dates and there’s a couple of signs there that it’s not progressing - the bleeding and the scan putting you at 6 weeks with an empty sac, but you do hear of occasions where the scan has shown good news too, especially when it’s still early days and the baby is still so tiny, good luck hopefully it will turn out that eveything is fine x

Sorry night owl, hope you don’t take this the wrong way but I totally disagree.

if you know when you ovulated then that is a much better date to go from. Eg with my 3rd child I had only had one cycle since my 2nd child so I conceived on CD42 of that cycle not around CD14 as you would normally expect. When I had an early scan they didn’t expect me to be 9 weeks pregnant they expected me to be 6 weeks pregnant because they were just checking the dates I knew to be the case. So if this lady knows when she ovulated then I don’t think she should be expecting to see much at this stage.

however with that amount of bleeding and being told the yolk sac is irregular I’m afraid the outlook doesn’t look good. I’ve had two early miscarriages and what you have described is exactly what I experienced but I never had a scan after the bleeding so don’t know what they would have seen. On the other hand I have also known of a lady on here who bled for 18 weeks straight and still had a healthy pregnancy so you do get the odd unusual case x

@Rose83 Night Owl is 100% correct with dates. Medically speaking, you are considered 2 weeks pregnant on the day you ovulate. If @Kona84 knew her conception date was 6 weeks ago, that means she is 8 weeks pregnant. If you know your conception date you still need to add 2 weeks to that.

Sorry @Kona84 but I think you need to prepare for bad news. Your embryo should be measuring 8 weeks by now and to not have a heartbeat at that point is very unusual. Miracles do happen so I hope I'm wrong as no one should have to go through this xx

Thank you for the responses, I know I’m clutching at straws. It’s such a long wait until I get a definite answer that I’m driving myself crazy.

I am prepared for the worse and we are going to try again.

Thank you for the responses, I know I’m clutching at straws. It’s such a long wait until I get a definite answer that I’m driving myself crazy.

I am prepared for the worse and we are going to try again.

I’ve been in this position myself so I know how awful it is, it would be made 100% worse for you if you go in expecting nothing but good news, I’m not saying the outcome is definitely going to be bad but I think it would be immoral if we all wrote back to you saying oh don’t worry it’ll be ok, your dates are just wrong etc etc, I’ll be thinking of you and hopefully you will get good news x

Sorry night owl, hope you don’t take this the wrong way but I totally disagree.

if you know when you ovulated then that is a much better date to go from. Eg with my 3rd child I had only had one cycle since my 2nd child so I conceived on CD42 of that cycle not around CD14 as you would normally expect. When I had an early scan they didn’t expect me to be 9 weeks pregnant they expected me to be 6 weeks pregnant because they were just checking the dates I knew to be the case. So if this lady knows when she ovulated then I don’t think she should be expecting to see much at this stage.

however with that amount of bleeding and being told the yolk sac is irregular I’m afraid the outlook doesn’t look good. I’ve had two early miscarriages and what you have described is exactly what I experienced but I never had a scan after the bleeding so don’t know what they would have seen. On the other hand I have also known of a lady on here who bled for 18 weeks straight and still had a healthy pregnancy so you do get the odd unusual case x

yes even going from her ovulation date she is 8 weeks pregnant - you are two weeks pregnant at ovulation - this is the system sonographers use to date the pregnancy too x

Sorry I totally misread the original post! I know you are two weeks at conception. So yes would be 8 weeks now x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lauramayne90
Back