Ironing service views needed please!

Me, My Girls & I

Reaction score
I'm thinking of setting up an ironing service, so I can do something I enjoy (yes really!) in my own time at home! Do you/would you use an ironing service?

What would you expect?

Would you like to use your own hangers, so your OH thinks you've been a domestic goddess? Or would you prefer them to be provided?

Would you prefer to pay by the kilo or per item? Obvs if paying by item, it would vary between the size of each item!

How much would you be willing to pay, be it by item or kilo?!

Thanks ladies :)

I dont personally use em but a lot of people round my way do. I would say do it by the sack load or weight unless it is big items in which case maybe charge by the item. Also maybe you could do deals such as 5 shirts and a pair of trousers for an amount and you could market it as the work week package!!
I would say that the client would provide the hangers and other thigs should be folded and maybe you could do the pick up and drop off to either their home or place of wrok??
Hope that helps a bit??
xxx

Thanks hun! The working week package is an amazing idea!! I was thinking of doing something like free collection/delivery if you spend over a certain amount, but I don't know what that would be!

cant help with prices as dont use em myself but try ringing up a couple of other companies pretending that you want ironing done and then take a middle price?
Good luck hun, its a really good idea if you like ironing ( I hate it with a passion Hubbie has non iron shirts!!)
xxxx

I can be a bit of a perfectionist with some things, like I love ironing cos I can see everything getting all neat! Dead daft lol! Now I've got the idea, I wana get started right away, but I'm moving house in a couple of weeks so it would be stupid to do it now!

My friend uses ironing service for her husband's shirt, I think its 5 shirts for £6 but that includes pick up and drop off. And its more that 5 shirts at a time.

I have a cleaner now and she does ironing otherwise i would use the service for shirts as well, hate ironing them!

I love doing shirts! In fact, I'm about to do a load now for the car boot tomorrow! I think I may be a bit strange haha!

omg knopk i want a cleaner :brat:

and around here you get a big laundry basket ironed for £10 xxx

I love the idea of a cleaner, but I know what I'm like and id clean before they came :lol:

Well we have her fortnighty so I still clean every day but at least major bathroom/kitchen cleaning and ironing will be done, my lovely husband suggested we do it because we have LO on the way and we will have enough things to worry about.

In terms of your business, I would recommend looking at the area first as it does largely depend on the income of people around, we get lots of leaflets through the door, maybe try that and see how much interest you get? And if its relatively local, you wont have to drive too far,

The area I'm moving to is quite a well off one full of stepford wives :lol: surely they can't all be that perfect that they can manage everything?! I think a lot of people would probably be glad of just shirt ironing and school uniform! Cos let's face it, that's one thing that no matter how much you enjoy it? You still sit there and think ffs not more ironing!! I'll probs start off with postcards in shop windows and fliers in shop windows! If I get some interest I'll try posting thru doors ad well! That would kind of be a last resort tho cos I want to minimise my overheads (how fancy does that sound? :lol:) I'm hoping to get quite a bit thru word of mouth too!

The area I'm moving to is quite a well off one full of stepford wives :lol: surely they can't all be that perfect that they can manage everything?! I think a lot of people would probably be glad of just shirt ironing and school uniform! Cos let's face it, that's one thing that no matter how much you enjoy it? You still sit there and think ffs not more ironing!! I'll probs start off with postcards in shop windows and fliers in shop windows! If I get some interest I'll try posting thru doors ad well! That would kind of be a last resort tho cos I want to minimise my overheads (how fancy does that sound? :lol:) I'm hoping to get quite a bit thru word of mouth too!
You will need then to work out competitive pricing but as for leaflets, what I get through the door is just a bit of paper with words printed in plain Times New Roman, nothing fancy.

Shop windows might work as well but I would try through letter box route as well because it wont cost you that much if you have a printer (or can use someone's) and it feels more personal (if its a local service). Once you get couple of customers, it will be mostly word of mouth I think.
Trust me, good old DM still works

Make a facebook group :) , best advertiser in the world atm :yay:

Might be worth saying free delivery/collection within a certain mile radius with a minimum spend of 10 pound, people will always spend max to get free delivery.

Advertise in Credit unions (do yous have them?), playgroups, shops, tesco's/asda's have card boards so may be worth getting some cheap business cards done up.

Do up a few fliers and hand to customers (if you're allowed?) At carboots xx

I've got a printer, but have lost the leads :wall: M I was thinking of setting up a fb group! Eee I'm all excited by it!

what I get through the door is just a bit of paper with words printed in plain Times New Roman, nothing fancy.

Please make sure you spell check it........ I hate reading poorly spelled adverts, puts me off straight away!!!

I don't use an ironing service, my OH and i don't have anything that needs ironing with the exception of 1 shirt for him and a couple of work shirts for me, which i hardly ever wear as they're for meetings. I normally iron as and when, the only thing i don't is his smart shirt, and that's purely because we have to get his suit dry cleaned so i get them to do the shirt at the same time for about £1 to £1.50 on top.

I asked my bro-in-law as he wears shirts for work, and he said that he would consider 5 shirts for £6 to be a reasonable price

Thanks nik! I'm really excited by it all! Can't wait to get started! Lander don't worry, I'll be spell checking! I am thinking of a board/bored play on words, just hoping people will be intelligent enough to get it! I know my OH wouldn't! I was trying to explain the more than/Morgan freeman advert to him yesterday and he just didn't get it :wall:

Oh dear me why don't you live closer! haha!

Knopk .... I must have. How much does that cost you? :lol:

Oh dear me why don't you live closer! haha!

Knopk .... I must have. How much does that cost you? :lol:

We pay £10 an hour and we get her in fortnightly, it is a blessing atm, I can't even put my knickers on without a struggle.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back