Iron drops warning

LouisecH

Reaction score
The last 10 days have been a nightmare with Zara. She's had constant diarrhea and wind, has screamed during every feed and after every feed and not wanted to sleep longer than 40 minutes at a time.

I took her to the doctors 3 times and they took samples but I was told nothing was wrong with her. The only thing that I could think which I'd done differently was started her on the iron drops the hospital gave me when I left (I was in there 2 weeks because Zara was born at 33+5)

Yesterday morning by chance I saw a thing on the internet saying that breastfed babies don't normally need iron supplements and that if they have too much iron they can get diarrhea and wind.

I called the hospital ward that I was in and the ward sister told me to take Zara off the iron straight away and hey bingo she's now fine. She slept really well last night, her feeding's normal and her poo is almost back to yellow (sorry :lol: ).

Lucky I saw that thing on the internet or I'd never have worked it out. Just thought I'd share that info in case anyone is experiencing the same thing.

You are lucky she was feeding at least 40 minutes at a time!!! Mine never wants more than 15 minutes on a good day and asked to be fed every hour and a half/2 hours!!!!

Glad everything went back to normal :)

This might sound like a stupid question but how do you know if your baby has the runs? It's just that baby poo always looks like diarrhoea doesn't it :oops:

Glad you got Zara sorted hunnie.

Kim, it's a lot more runny I should imagine instead of just very soft. :oops:

It tends to be more green and watery than breasty poos :shock:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lauramayne90
Back