insomnia

Blueclass

Reaction score
So I managed to sleep all of say 30mins before waking up on my back. I have tried laying on my sides but my hips hurt and I tried my normal, sleeping sat up but nothing is working. OH has to be up at 3.30 so decided it's unfair to keep tossing and turning when his trying to sleep. I'm now sat on the sofa with a hot choc and cream on top very yummy.

Does anyone else have problems sleeping and what do you do? I have work on the morning and am going to be shattered but I know I will not sleep now. I have had this a few times and it's really annoying.
Any tips on a better nights sleep would be much appreciated x

Hey, sorry have no tips but insomnia here too. I just lay and play on phone :-(

I've no tips either. Happened to me. I'm usually ok once I am asleep - took me an hour and a half last night. Then I woke up 30 mins before my alarm to pee, and couldn't sleep. I had no more than 6 hours and now I've got to work the next 4 days. I could cry I'm so tired!!!!

with you all on the insomnia..literally all day feeling the heavy eyes and yawning, just hurrying up bedtime and then...nothing. staring at the ceiling while everyone else drifts off. I get really upset sometimes, it's just so frustrating not being able to get comfortable in any position.
Hips hurt too, then bump pull on my ribs and back and just feels too heavy. I am a runny sleeper though so I'm not used to anything else.
I've tried hot milk before sleep, sleep spray and oils, massage..hmm.
Before our babies arrival we need all the sleep we can get..ggrrrrrrrrr Xx

No tips sorry hun! Ive had it in both pregnancies and its a killer!
Spesh when ur getting ppl saying 'make sure u rest before the baby arrives'

Well thats rather hard when i have a toddler in the day time and im not sleeping in the night lol!!

Insomnia here too, but possibly luckier than some as I've had it chronic since teenage years, so I'm well used to it! Obviously can't take sleeping pills in pregnancy, but I have tips, if it helps. Pregnancy insomnia is different I guess, being about being uncomfortable rather than a problem with melatonin. Although maybe the hormones disrupt things? I don't know!
I keep a strict routine for bed, and I recommend staying away from screens, tv, computer, phone and tablet, for an hour or so before bed, as the light disturbs the workings of melatonin. Do something that winds your brain down, like have a bath, and eat melatonin rich foods (the best by far is a variety of cherry called montmorency). Then when trying to sleep, I do meditation techniques, such as breathing slowly and counting on every breath... then if you get distracted or think about anything else, go back to start from one. Or count in seconds to 15 every time you inhale and exhale deeply, which slows your breathing to 4 breaths per minute, more conducive to sleep.
With spd, as I know most of us have, it's doubly difficult! I tend to get up and wander a bit when it's too uncomfortable, and often bed down on the sofa instead so I'm propped up better. I'm averaging about 4 or 5 hours sleep doing all this crap, which is all I need to get by, I think! It's tempting to think that when our babes come we'll sleep better lol
Hope this might be of any use to somebody! ;-)

Last edited:
If you can squeeze a 20-30 minute nap in before tea time it really helps! As I finished work at 29 weeks I often have a nap or TWO! Especially now at 39+4 the tiredness is unreal! I often wake between 2am and 6am and am wide awake. If you're still working, you do have the right to go and have 15 minutes if you're really tired, your manager should respect this and organise something for you.
The tiredness is the reason I finished work so early, as I was fed up of the constant battles between my manager and HR. (we didn't get breaks at all, we just ate and drank whoever we wished. I am a support worker for deafblind and people with behaviour problems) it can be exhausting at times! Xxx

Yes I work in a special needs school and work for a company that works with adults with learning disabilities. Luckily today is last day doing that job but j don't finish school till 38 weeks, if I can last that long. I'm sat on the train now and my eyes are burning.

Thank you for all your comments x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back