Insect Repellant/Bite Medication

Discussion in 'Second Trimester' started by Skidoo, Jul 28, 2005.

1. Skidoo

Skidoo Well-Known Member

Does anyone know what kind of insect repellant you can use when pregnant. I know I'm supposed to avoid DEET, but I don't really know what I am allowed to use.

I'm going to the States for a holiday in a couple of weeks and always get bitten really badly on holiday and come up in huge lumps. I don't think I'm supposed to use anti-histamines, which really helped last holiday, so have to be extra careful not to get bitten or I'll have a miserable time ;o(

Any advice?

I'll be beyond the first trimester by then...

2. newbump

newbump Well-Known Member

I can suffer with prickly heat sometimes when im on holiday and asked docs about anti histamines, and they are ok to take if you need them! Good luck and enjoy your holiday

Natalie x

3. Skidoo

Skidoo Well-Known Member

Excellent! I've got an appt with the Obstetric team next week and I'll double check with them, but that would be really good.

Thanks

4. littlebump

littlebump Well-Known Member

I was advised by a pharmacist that Jungle Formula was OK to use, so I bought some, however I didn't use it in the end because of the smell - it smelled strongly of chemicals (like oven cleaner or something!!) and I didn't trust the pharmacist who was clearly rushed when I spoke to him.

5. beanie

beanie Well-Known Member

I have heard that lavender can be a good insect repellant, if you have lavender at home boil some shoots in water and allow to cool. However I have also heard that certain aromotherapy oils can be harmful during pregnancy so please check this out with either your midwife or a qualified aromatherapist (I know you would do anyway). I'm the same, always being eaten, guess its just our sweet blood!!! xx have a great time on your hols xxx