ingrowing toenail

trixipaws

Reaction score
iv been referred to the podiatrist coz i have one. iv doctored it myself a bit to relieve the pressure, by digging underneath it with nail clippers (OUCH it bloody hurt!) i kno thats bad in the long term but i had to it was so digging in and i couldnt walk with the pressure pain. i can now. but when it grows back its gonna dig back in again innit.

just wondering whats likely to happen? do u think theyll remove my toenail?! :shock: :( :puke:
has anyone else had this or knows anyone who has

I've had one and always just fixed it myself so dont know what will happen when you go, but yes ouch - they are bloody sore!!

i had one a few weeks ago all they did was cut the ingrowing piece away to make it grow out again,it was pretty painless and gave me a support piece for my toe for a few days so it didnt rub on the toe next to it,it was painful for a few days but i have never had any problems since

oh no you poor cow that is so painful. I had an ingrowing big toenail all through my pregnancy and for about 6 months after. Mine went nasty so I had to have antibiotic cream for it. I used to clip it myself to relieve the pressure and it would be lovely for a few days but then start hurting again. I went to the doctors and they said that if they refered me to a chiropodist then they would only cut it back like I was doing and he recommended I let it grow out. So thats what I did, instead of cutting it I just filed it straight across so it wasn't too long but I didn't touch the sides atall and after a few weeks it was cool and I've had no problems since.

Sorry for the essay!

when I had my epidural I asked my mum to cut the whole nail off for me but she wouldn't!

My uncle had one about 15 years ago and they removed his full toenail :puke:

I don't think they do that anymore though :think:

My BIL had an ingrowing toenail that got so bad they had to remove it. I have them on both of my big toes but when they get painful I get the scissors or my finger nail down the side of them and pull the ingrowing bits out OUCH. After I have done that they are ok for a while until I have to do it again.

I get loads of them for some reason... i went once and had it done in the hospital... but having the anaesthetic was soo painful I never went back, and now I just do them myself, but soaking them in salt water for 15 mins, then taking a pair of sharp nail scissors and cutting a triangular shaped wedge out of the nail on the bad side.. I then wrap it up with iodine and tape pulling the skin away from the nail.. in a couple of days it's all better.. but I've been doing this since I was 14 :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: I know I shouldn't but apparently if you have it more than a 3 times over a year, they remove the nail and I can't have them doing that... I live in Spain for crying out loud.. !!! how am I going to wear sandals???? :shock: I know you're not "supposed" to do it, but I just can't cope going back to the doctors.

My daughter has them too funnily enough, she went and had one of her nails sorted out over here, and they just sort of attacked her... it was horrible.. I would do hers myself too, but I don't have the courage to inflict pain on her like that... i'm much too much of a coward. :oops:

my son had both his big toe nails removed last christmas because they were ingrown all the time

mary70 said:
my son had both his big toe nails removed last christmas because they were ingrown all the time

:shock: :shock: :shock: omg is ur ticker correct he's only 8 months old!

no hun he is 16 lol god knows what happened to that ticker lol

gosh oh yeah i see it says 16 now was it the ticker or was it me am i going crazy?! :(

i suffered them loads when i was younger and ended up having an operation to remove the toe nail and the nail bed so a nail wouldnt ever grow back!

Its made me paranoid now when i wear open toe shoes/sandles and if i think someone is looking at it i move me foot behind my other one so people cant see

i had them on my big toes for ages! started on just 1 and kept getting infected so went to the doctors and he said just bathe in salt water and thas it. i suffered it for 3 years! because i knew they inject your toe to remove nail so was very scared.

in the end both big toe nails were bad on both sides. i couldnt walk onthem, i had to wear black socks cus they would leak fluid and bleed without fail. it got to the point where i had to switch to wearing toe capped boots for work and OMG it was so much pleasure to walk around without having the pressure of trainers or shoes down on the toe so i just knew i had to go.

they did both at the same time. its just basically injection each side of the toe, thats the worst bit, after is totally painless! they cut right down the sides and then put a gel on the nail bed. this kills the bed but you dont feel it, its so the nail is limited to where it will grow. the 1 toe grew back fine and you would never know i had it done but the other one (the 3 year old one) was scard where the ingrowth was so deep on both sides. its now started ingrowing below the base of the nail so ive gotto have the whole thing removed and burned but im not scared no more :cheer:

it was sore for about 3 days but walkable. i had the fri off work and was back on the mon :D

I had one 10 years ago and they just removed part of the toenail, it was the fooking injection in my big toe that hurt - I cried!!!

The actual op and recovery time was ok and i felt fine and have had no problems since :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lauramayne90
Back