Infection outbreak at my maternity unit!

Jayjay027

Reaction score
I've just read on the news, the hospital that I'm using, that I'm going to next week for my scan, has an outbreak of some infection, and that 2 babies have died in the last week because of it!
Apparently the 2 babies that died were critically ill so their immune systems couldn't fight the infection.
The hospital are saying that any1 who goes in to labour in the next few days should use another hospital!

I know I'm not going in to labour anytime soon, but I'm going for my scan on Weds and I'm afraid of picking up this infection!

Should I ring them and voice my concerns?? I think the infection is confined to the neonatal unit but its still so worrying!! X

Sent from my BlackBerry 9800 using Tapatalk

I've just read on the news, the hospital that I'm using, that I'm going to next week for my scan, has an outbreak of some infection, and that 2 babies have died in the last week because of it!
Apparently the 2 babies that died were critically ill so their immune systems couldn't fight the infection.
The hospital are saying that any1 who goes in to labour in the next few days should use another hospital!

I know I'm not going in to labour anytime soon, but I'm going for my scan on Weds and I'm afraid of picking up this infection!

Should I ring them and voice my concerns?? I think the infection is confined to the neonatal unit but its still so worrying!! X

I would call n check best 2 b safe hun ..soo sad about the babies who passed away

Maybe call them a day or two before your scan then if its still an issue they can let you know what to do?

Yeah good idea.
Thanks girls.

Yeah so sad about the babies that died, their families must be in bits!

Ring them to be safe, but all hospitals carry infections so as long as you take precautions of washing your hands when u arrive and before you leave. X

I would call in advance, but I would also call midwife to see if I could change hospital by that time.

My mum is a matron in a hospital and she says that hospitals don't release this sort of information unless it is a serious epidemic and that it may take a while to get under control.

Of course, the hospital will be putting measures in place to control it but I just wouldn't want to take the risk. I don't want to frighten you Jayjay but all it takes is you touching something that a carrier has touched - unless of course the infection is airborn (which I doubt as they would close the hospital down while they got rid of it)....I just wouldn't feel comfortable taking the risk.

Those poor babies...and their families! :(

3 babies dead now :( god bless them and their poor families. That hospital was one of my choices but ill be going elsewhere now. They said they are doing a deep cleanse of the ward and til then, anyone booked in to have their babies was to go elsewhere. I don't think you would be effected hun but better to phone and see xx

I would definitely ring and enquire about going elsewhere hun. Its not worth the risk hun.

Those poor babies and their families :( x x

As the Ladies have said, I would definately phone and enquire hun.

Bless those little babies and the families involved.... so sad xx

Yeah I'm going to ring them on Monday or Tuesday and see what the situation.

I don't really wana go to another hospital tbh, the only other one close enough is a bit of a dreary, drab place, and the others are too far away.

I think the infection is confined to the neonatal unit but I'll call next week and see what they suggest.

FX they say everything is ok in the dept you need to go to. xx

I wouldnt worry too much about it. The poor babies who were affected by the infection were extremely vulnerable and their immune systems wouldnt be able to fight off the infection. Your Lo is safe inside you and providing you are fit and well and follow basic hand hygiene practice you are most likely at very little risk. Remember we come across bacteria and viruses all the time in every day life and usually have no ill effect from them. Even the common cold could have been a potential danger to such vulnerable, ill babies. Thoughts with the families at what must be a terrible time for them.

Just saw it on the news. What an awful thing to happen, those poor families.
It seems they have asked patients not to panic, but have set up a helpline for those who have concerns or queries. It's 02890 635389.
If it were me, I would be tempted to leave it till closer to the appointment before calling. The staff may be better informed and procedures put in place by then. At the moment the response seems to be a bit of a knee jerk reaction due to all the media attention.

I think that if anyone going for a scan was at risk, they would close the unit until it was safe and rearrange appointments as it is more of an outpatients thing. They would probably ring and tell you if they felt you shouldn't go. As long as you make sure you wash your hands and that you should be fine :)

If you are worried though, always check :)

Last edited:
Thanks everyone!

Fordee, I just saw that number advertised on the news lol, thanks very much.

I'll phone them on Tuesday and see what the situation is then. They are doing a deep cleanse over the weekend so hopefully everything will have settled by then.

If hospitals were cleaned properly things like this wouldn't be happening! Its disgusting!
I remember as a child visiting my grandmother in hospital and the smell of disinfectant was overpowering - but hospitals just don't smell like that anymore!!
I'm on a rant rampage now lol.

Fx for you that your hospital will be okay, it's such a pain that it was your hospital of choice.

So sad to hear :( Hope it gets resolved soon jayjay, worst comes to worst ask to be put off for a week to give them a decent chance to eradicate the bacteria xx

Yeah good idea Leesey. I'll call on Tuesday and see what they say. If I'm not satisfied, I'll put it off.

I really hope no more babies die. Its so sad :( x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back