Infection at the Royal Maternity Belfast

JensBump

Reaction score
Not sure if this is on the news nationwide but the hospital where I am supposed to give birth has recently had an infection outbreak in the neonatal unit resulting in the deaths of 3 babies - http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ukn...pital-babies-tested-for-deadly-infection.html

I am due up on Thursday for a sweep - they say that the infection is contained and everyone keeps telling me not to worry as it is only neonatal but I cant help but worry about going there after this - is anyone else booked into this hospital?

Can't give any advice as not giving birth there but I did read this story on BBC the other day. I completely understand why you're worried and I know I would be! My DH would point blank refuse to go back there. The only thing constructive I really have to say is that often after these outbreaks the hospital involved gets really strict and sorts itself out to try and avoid any more problems and media coverage. I don't know if that makes you feel any better though honey and I really do understand why this would worry you so much... :hugs:

I've not read this (on my phone) and totally understand why your worried.
Cleanliness is one of the reasons I don't want to use our local hospital and am going to a different MLU instead.

But as verity said they will prob have stepped up all their infection control procedures, so it will be safer than ever just now.

Also, having worked in hospitals and care settings, they are never going to be infection free. Too many people, and too many illnesses, occasionally a bug gets through. It's tragic but true - all it takes is a new strain of something to develop and standard procedure becomes completely ineffective.

Xxx

Thanks ladies - I know that they will have had to step up procedures and everything will most likely be sorted when I go there but it has just really planted the seed of doubt in my mind - think if I just try my best to stay home as long as possible then at least I can limit any exposure - two women who needed neonatal care for their babies had to be transferred to Dublin by ambulance which is 100 miles away.

I was following this story last week all rite, Not giving birth there but just because i was so shocked, They did say they would move people to the republic but then said there was no need as it was contained and the 24 babies tested in there since have all come back clear so I think all should be fine

I can completly understand why your worried but they wouldnt let people continue to give birth if they thougth there was a risk to them xxx

I know it doesn't help much but the babies who died were all very premature and one baby recovered from the infection and died of other complications from prem labour (although the infection probably didn't exactly help). Your are at least full term and with the whole of the nhs and watchdogs looking at this hospital now you can bet your bottom dollar it's the cleanest place on this planet and is probably safer than the other hospitals in it's trust right now.

It will play on your mind though as it would mine xxxxxxxxx

Im supposed to be giving birth at the royal. Haven't really thought much about it as I'm not due for 8 weeks but family have been telling me to stay away and go to the ulster. X

I only had the choice between the Royal and Antrim - but I heard some people went to the Mater - I have an appointment on Thursday so will see what they say then

Id say it will be fine... Im sure they have done everything possible to prevent further spread. Their delivery suite isn't affected so fingers crossed it stays that way. X

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lauramayne90
Back