Infacol experience

Rose83

Reaction score
I'm breastfeeding my little boy and he seems to be suffering from really bad wind i can't get up and reflux/sickness. I tried gaviscon for a few days but it made him constipated and was so difficult to get in him, also my partner thinks it made his crying bouts worse. I'd used infacol before the gaviscon and have gone back to that today. Only thing is that I think infacol makes him potentially more sick. It seems to curdle the milk so he throws up a watery substance with little lumps of milk in it. Anyone else had this experience? Anyone got any other advice for breast fed babies suffering these problems? X

Are you giving the infacol first? I found that if I gave my LG the infacol first, waited 5 mins and then fed her she was much better x

Oh man 😔 When my LG was really bad I used to give her colief but if u can get it prescribed as its ooober expensive xx

Thank you, I went to boots and got gripe water and some powders you pour on their tongue and will try that before the colief as I saw that and was too cheap to pay for it if I can get them to prescribe it!
X

Dentinox do one called colic drops. You can add to the bottle or use the syringe if BF..... Also can be used from birth, unlike Gripe Water x

I had more success with gripe water than with infacol. I actually washed and sterilised an infacol bottle / dropper and took it around with me- was really useful. He doesn't have major probs now thank goodness but I've also found that giving him a bath is brilliant for wind- he loves it anyway so becomes really relaxed, then when I get him out he does 3 or 4 big burps- really sorts him out whilst calming him down.

Me too Birdie :) .

I'm not a fan of over the counter medicines for newborns especially breastfed ones. (Have you read about "the virgin gut"?)

Personally I'd recommend trying to feed your baby upright (baby upright), and you semi reclined if possible (google "laid back breastfeeding") and I'd try to see a peer supporter or lactation consultant to make sure the latch and positioning is good and rule out tongue and lip tie which could cause him to swallow air.

We use Infacol before every feed and have done since 5 days old (she's now 14 weeks + 5 days) and we've never had this!

I'd agree with pheonix, my lb was a windy baby, probably caused by tongue tie (I was told at his 48 hour check that it wasn't significant and wouldn't affect feeding but that was a load of crap). Anyway, I found feeding with him as upright as possible and then keeping him upright after feeding for as long as possible really helped. The biggest change was after his tongue tie was sorted, his latch was immediately improved and he took in much less air.
x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back