Induction - Why, How, How Did It Go?

purplehippy

Reaction score
Apologies if I don't reply to things quickly, we've just the one machine between the lot of us now.

Right - I've had some questions answered in the main pregnancy chat section, and I now know I'm being induced around 8 weeks time.

I'm hoping I will hear from someone or some people who have been induced before 40 weeks - they're looking to do me at 38 weeks.

I'm wanting to know, how did they induce you, do you stay in the entire time from first try with whatever they use, til babbit is born, what's it like, what happens if your cervix is closed, if your babbit isn't engaged fully what happens, how long does it take to induce people, am I more likely to have it happen quick because my first labour was 8 days early and quick, does it hurt more than a usual labour, anything anyone wants to say - please say so.

It's a lot to ask but I know some of you can help! I will write up about my experience afterwards, so people can see how it went for me.

I was induced at 40+11. Baby wasn't fully engaged but low down. I went in for 9am and was given the pessary at about 11. My cervix was high and closed. I started having cramps late afternoon and was given another pessary at 5ish. Things kicked off from there and when I was checked at 10pm I was 8cms dilated. I finally gave birth at 2.33am after just the two pessaries. The midwives were convinced I wasn't in proper labour yet, telling me it was the pessary giving me unusually strong contractions, oh how very wrong they were! I often wonder how I'd have coped if I had gone into labour spontaneously and would like to think that it's a much gentler process, but I have nothing to compare it to.

I would have been kept in at that hospital regardless after they started induction but at the other hospital I could have been at they induce at night time and send you home!!

Last edited:
Hiya. I was induced at 40 weeks due to concerns from 32 weeks about small baby. It started with a membrane sweep at 39 weeks (1cm) this did nothing. Another sweep at 40 weeks then into hosp at 40+2 for induction. Was given prostin tablet (pessary) on the 1st night which after a couple of hours caused really painful contractions which went on all night. Next morning checked internally then given another prostin. Another few hours of contractions which again stopped. Checked again in the evening (2cm) and another prostin given. Another night of painful contractions. Checked again in the morning (still 2cm) then taken to labour suite to have waters broken. After this things were much better. I had gentle contractions and labour progressed well. Unfortunately baby became distressed in late stages and I ended up with a section but don't think that was related to induction. In hindsight being induced was not pleasant for me (seemed like a few days of pointless pain) but that is quickly put into perspective when I was handed my beautiful wee boy at 10pm on 40+4.

Hope this is helpful. Good luck when the time comes. G x

Thank you, it's been very useful reading both.

I'm aware it can be very painful, and I'm also aware that inducing can end up in a section too. But I'm still glad I'm going to be induced.

So, even if babbit isn't fully engaged and my cervix is essentially nowhere like it would be for a natural birth, the pessaries etc sort it all out.

My mum was put on a drip with me. I've heard breaking the waters artificially is painful too?

ı was induced at 42 weeks.. my cervix was closed and baby wasnt engaged at all. I was given the pessary about 10am and had contratcions showing on the monitor from about 2pm onwards. I was due to go down to have my waters broke about 6pm but they broke themselves just before. After that things started getting painful, I was sent down to delivery ward at only 2cm.... and had my lil boy about 4 hours later. I was in etablished labour for 3 hours. I honestly cant remember whether I had a drip I think I may of...I cant compare to other labour obviously but although it was painful I dont think I had a bad labour or delivery at all and wouldnt worry if I had to be induced again. (alhtough im hoping not as dont wnt to wait until 42 weeks again)

My first baby was induced at 42+2 and was pretty awful, but being a 1st baby I think it was bound to be harder so I won't dwell on that....

my 3rd was induced at 37 weeks after my waters broke and honestly, it was fab. Really steady, not too hard to handle, until the last 10 miins when the contractions were so painful, and the baby was also back to back so that was inevitable I suppose....

both times i was in for days, pessary after pessary, drip, waters broken, closed posterior cervix etc. It's not like that for everybody though...

As for the waters breaking...... and you did want me to be honest ...... awful in every way. With a closed brick like cervix it was never going to be nice but I nearly kicked the doctor in the face!! Demand gas and air before they begin!!!!!!!

I will demand the gas and air, thanks for the heads up! My first started coming 8 days early, 8 hours from "hello, labour ward, I think I might be starting labour" to "you have a baby". And she was back to back.

Had a text an hour or so ago, my friend has just given birth this morning. Hers was back to back, so I could sympathise. I've worked out, I think she was 2 weeks early.

I always feel sorry for people who go overdue, though!

For me having waters broken wasn't all that bad but I was on gas and air for that bit. I do remember being very surprised by how much liquid there was though - and it just keeps coming with every contraction! Sorest bit was having 3rd prostin cos after the first 2 I was very raw and dry down there (sorry if tmi). Try not to worry about it all in advance. What ever will be will be and all that. Try to relax an enjoy the last stages of your pregnancy. X

I was induced with my 2nd at 38 weeks never got to inducement day with others had them before. They induce me arly because of very fast labours so i am at the hospital and not out and about when i have my baby. they broke my waters and gave me a drip with my 2nd, yes I had to stay in i think thats the norm. With the others my cervix was not ready so they sent me home for another week and i was going to go back to try again but had them inbetween appointments. so in my case they wont induce me unless my body is ready, so i cant answer that one cause i know its different for different people

wrote a response, deleted, rewrote... Im not sure whether I should post or not cos Im worried Ill scare you. So Im not going to go into my birth cos its not what happens all the time, ive read really positive induction birth stories.

What I will say is that even if youre contracting strong and every minute or so, that doesnt mean youre 'in labour' the midwifes definition is your past 3cm dilated. Normally you wouldnt be having strong contractions anyway at that stage but with induced labour the contractions hit you so suddenly and come thick and fast. And in my expereince dont seem to correlate with fast dilation. After 48 hours I was "nearly 1cm" and the woman opposite me on the ward who hadnt felt one contraction was already 2and a half cm. I wanted to kill her as she'd slept all night snoring and Id spent the last 2 nights rocking on my hands and knees trying not to make noise through the contractions. :roll:

The midwifes told me not to bother timing contractions cos it doesnt mean a thing with induced labour. I would advise anyone and everyone to refuse point blank to be induced on a ward. Insist on your own room, if I knew Id be there that long labouring on my own through the night in front of strangers I wouldnt have gone with it at all.

Cheers, people.

I spoke to my friend who's just given birth, night before last, on the phone.

She was 38 weeks, and her waters went. She didn't go in straight away, stayed home. Wasn't in much pain. She only used a tens throughout the whole thing, but they had to section because she was at 10cm for hours and tried pushing but never got the urge to. Weird.

Just shows how different each birth can be. And labour. I'm not sure what to expect. But I'm only nervous about having to go home, because I want to be in the right place when she comes.

Tiny I feel the same, so never post about labour or birth :(

I will say that I had my waters broken for me and never felt a thing. Cervix was dilated just enough for MW to do it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back