Induction or Elective cesarean?

strongminded

Reaction score
Hi all. I am 34 weeks pregnant and my midwife Said I will be induced at 38 weeks as I have gestational diabetes and I am on metformin for it. I did a lot of research and to be honest I would rather have an Elective cesarean than go through hours of induction and there could be a possibility of having a cesarean anyway if natural birth does not happen

What do you all think?

Last edited:
I'm not allowed to go to my due date and was given the option of induction at 38 weeks or elective section at 39 weeks. I've opted for the section and having it on Monday. Like you I didn't want a potentially lengthy induction process only to end in an emergency section anyway. I also have gestational diabetes but my birth plan was already decided before diagnosis for other reasons.
Did you ask about an elective section?

Last edited:
Hi :) I've got GD too and am being induced at just over 39 weeks as I've stayed diet controlled. With my DD I had an emergency c section after a very long labour so this time I've said to my consultant that I'd like to try induction but that if nothing has happened within 24 hours I'd like a csection. I'm hoping I can do it naturally without the csection as could do without the long recovery time this time around as will want to be home with my DD but I feel happier this time knowing that there is a time limit on things so if things aren't progressing I won't be left for as long as I was last time with it all resulting in an emergency section. Xxx

Having had an induction that ended in an emergency section under general anaesthetic I can honestly say neither procedure was as bad as I had imagined. Induction went quick for me, 9 hrs from breaking my waters to pushing. Unfortunately baby didn't like pushing and the epidural for the c section only worked down one side so they had to put me under. Recovery from section went without a hitch, one week of paracetamol and ibuprofen and I was feeling much better. Don't however underestimate what major surgery it is, i had to sleep propped on pillows for 10days because the scar was so tight it hurt to lye down. Your mobility is seriously reduced fur the first week or two. They do say an induction is no more likely To end in a section than a natural Labour so they will try To pursued you To take the induction. To be honest I already know that should we have another baby I'll have an elective section as I am a control freak! Keep an open mind and discuss your concerns with the midwife, but at the end of the day is your choice, do what you feel is right xx

I was induced 3 weeks ago at 38 weeks exactly. I was slightly concerned it would take ages with being early. It all went really smoothly, 1 pessary, waters broken and drip and 4 hours of active labour followed by half hour of pushing. I had an epidural as the drip does make contractions very intense.

Personally I would hate to have had a c-section due to the restrictions and recovery afterwards. Can't imagine not being able to drive etc.

Hope all goes well for you

I'm not allowed to go to my due date and was given the option of induction at 38 weeks or elective section at 39 weeks. I've opted for the section and having it on Monday. Like you I didn't want a potentially lengthy induction process only to end in an emergency section anyway. I also have gestational diabetes but my birth plan was already decided before diagnosis for other reasons.
Did you ask about an elective section?

I am seeing the consultant on 9th September that's 4 weeks before my due date. I will ask for a c section then. I hope it won't be too late

I was induced 3 weeks ago at 38 weeks exactly. I was slightly concerned it would take ages with being early. It all went really smoothly, 1 pessary, waters broken and drip and 4 hours of active labour followed by half hour of pushing. I had an epidural as the drip does make contractions very intense.

Personally I would hate to have had a c-section due to the restrictions and recovery afterwards. Can't imagine not being able to drive etc.

Hi clare. Glad it all went well for you. Is this your first baby? And did you have an epidural

Hi clare. Glad it all went well for you. Is this your first baby? And did you have an epidural

This was my second baby but my first was 12 years ago. Yes I had epidural, didn't need a catheter though.

However, I was also induced with my first baby. That time it was at 39 weeks and a very similar story in relation to procedure and timings - just pushed for a bit longer. With first baby I didn't have an epidural.

Ok
I am so confused as to what decision to make. It's my first baby after trying for 4yrs. I want what's best for him. I just don't know what the right decision would be

Talk it over with your midwife and consultant.
You may want to ask them
What percentage of women at their hospital end with emergency section following failed induction?
What percentage of women at their hospital need assisted delivery during induction ie forceps, suction?
What is the average length of time between starting induction process and delivery at their hospital?
How long are they prepared to leave you from induction to emergency section?
What is their induction policy/procedure ie pessary, gel, hormone drip, breaking waters and what in their experience is the most effective

I would get checked and see how favorable your cervix is at 38 weeks. If things are happening and it seems induction would be successful I'd go that route. If you are firmly closed up still with zero signs of your body shifting I'd book the section. Then if you start to show signs of labor a week later and things are looking more favorable then you could discuss induction again if that feels right!

My induction at 37 weeks was fast and normal. I wasn't dilated at all baby wasn't wanting to come out. I was induced because of low movements and low birth weight

Talk it over with your midwife and consultant.
You may want to ask them
What percentage of women at their hospital end with emergency section following failed induction?
What percentage of women at their hospital need assisted delivery during induction ie forceps, suction?
What is the average length of time between starting induction process and delivery at their hospital?
How long are they prepared to leave you from induction to emergency section?
What is their induction policy/procedure ie pessary, gel, hormone drip, breaking waters and what in their experience is the most effective

Thanks scn good questions to ask! I will ask the doctor at my next appointment.

I would get checked and see how favorable your cervix is at 38 weeks. If things are happening and it seems induction would be successful I'd go that route. If you are firmly closed up still with zero signs of your body shifting I'd book the section. Then if you start to show signs of labor a week later and things are looking more favorable then you could discuss induction again if that feels right!

Hi knoll. I have my appointment at 36weeks where I think I need to make a decision if I want an induction or c section. If I choose to have a c section then 38 weeks and at the time my cervix is dialiating or I go into labour I wonder if I will have the option of having a normal labour over the booked c section

I was induced by pessary and waters breaking at 38 weeks and although it was intense my labour was pretty quick waters broke finally at 5:30am and baby born at 8:22am.
The recovery afterwards was next to no time at all. I'll be induced again at either 37 or 38 weeks.

Even if you had a natural labour there's a risk of needing emergency c section. I'd much rather have a normal vaginal birth and recover quicker. But I do have a 2 year old as well x

I personally couldn't electively have a section, the not driving for 6 weeks and extended recovery time and mobility issues after isn't worth it in my opinion. I know loads of people who have been induced, none of them had trouble though, they went smoothly and were relatively quick labours. I have heard that some people have a tough time but I don't actually know anyone personally who had a bad time. Either way it is what you are comfortable with xx

Sent from my D6603 using Tapatalk

No idea what's best for you.

But for me an elective section is def the right thing! I induced at 10 days overdue with my daughter. 42 hours of horrific contractions (eventually had epidural at 36 hours) and then ended up in emergency c-section due to her being in distress and my body having a reaction.

My recovery was super quick, eventually out of hospital 5 days laters (they had us on antibiotics due to my reaction they were unsure whether an infection had caused it). I was back walking the dogs 2 miles a day by 10 days. Back driving by 3 weeks - tbh would have driven sooner but felt awkward going to ask my doctor as convinced he wasn't going to agree, turns out he would have anyway, he signed me off for my insurance at 3 weeks.

There is no way in hell I'd be induced ever again. Out of my baby friends I actually don't think any of the people induced ended up having a natural delivery, we all ended up with a section.

I've elected for a section for these twins, getting my date next week.

This is tricky, as just with 'normal' labour, everyone will have had different experiences. I've never been induced, but I had an emergency csec with my daughter and recovery for me was horrendous. I've been offered an elective csec this time, but have declined it and am trying for a natural birth. It may take longer, but recovery should be a lot quicker and the thought of not being able to pick up my two year old breaks my heart. Good luck with whatever you decide x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back