Induction day tomorrow!!! Share your stories

jenni16

Reaction score
After a weekend of persistent reduced movements, the hospital have agreed to induce me TOMORROW!!! I'll be 39 weeks exactly so hoping my body and baby are ready for it.

It feels so strange knowing that today is my last day at home just Oscar and me. I've no idea how he's going to react to having a baby sister once she's here, he still seems so small at 20 months. This will be the longest he's ever spent away from me, and the first time overnight which I'm dreading. I'm hoping it's all over and done with nice and quickly so I can get back home to him.

I've got lots to do today, I want to get the house tidy and clean so it's nice to come back home to. Lots of last minute shopping to do today, then hopefully we can have one last chilled evening before the newborn mayhem starts again!

For those of you who have had induction, how was it? I'm convincing myself it's going to take days then end in emcs....I'm pretty sure it won't be as terrible as I'm thinking!

Xxx

Obviously I wrote a short version of mine in May Mummies but here goes...

Cervix was checked at 12 noon to see if I was favourable for induction and I was 1cm and she said it would be possible to break my waters so could skip the gel/pessary (which I can't have because of my previous emcs) or need the balloon catheter. I got onto the ward and was placed on the ctg at 1:30pm to check baby was happy and my waters were broken at 2pm, stayed on the ctg for a bit after too. Very mild tightenings/ BH started almost straight away and went for a wander around, by 5pm they still hadn't progressed into anything so a drip was started at 1.5ml, then increased to 3ml at 5:30 ml and 6ml at 6pm. I was getting the tightenings during this time but was laughing and chatting through them as they were only mild. About 6:10pm I was uncomfortable on my back on the trace so moved but they couldn't keep trace of baby's heartrate so they put a clip on his head at about 6:25pm. I was still only 1cm at this point. Pains started to really ramp up after this and needed to breathe through them, by 6:56pm I was getting pushy feelings at the height of the contraction, this lasted 2 contractions by the 3rd I was involuntary pushing and freaked out and begged for the gas and air. Started puffing away and he head was born the next contraction and his body the next at 7:08pm, it was less than 20 contractions of active labour and took the midwives by complete surprise and myself. Placenta was delivered quite quickly after too and intact with next to no blood loss!

I went into shock and was shaking uncontrollably about an hour after he was born, plus the after pains were quite painful too, just to warn you. But after some tea and toast I did start to feel better. We were offered to go home but I decided to stay just because he could have issues and because of how I reacted afterwards.

Really hope it works well for you hun and you're not away from Oscars too long xx

Hello and congratulations on meeting baby soon.

I am probably one of the few to say I loved my induction and actually wouldn't mind another!!

8th Jan (13 days over) I got settled in my own room and first pessary at 4pm, nothing happened. Second went in at 8pm. First contractions (cramps) started about half 8-9pm. I managed with heat packs and pacing then about 11 I went for a shower which brought on the contractions. After that I needed diamorphine. Had that and went for a sleep until 2.30 then I was moaning in my sleep and woke to find MW she came to check me. I rolled over and waters went themselves. Classed at 5cm and whisked round to delivery. Got there and settled and OH came for 3.30 and I wasn't quite 10cm but feeling ready to push. Asked to be checked and after I was told 10cm I just pushed and he was out in 9mins. Born at 0426 (9th January).

I did have a 2nd degree tear as he came out like a cannon but never felt any of it or the stitches.

And we were off, we got home the next day (10th January) and I healed within 4w.

So all in all from first cramps it was 9hr in total which is good for a first and induction. Ofcourse they don't all go like that but it helps to know it can happen like that. I did my labour on G&A no epidurals or drips needed.

I wish you all the best of luck with your induction!! Take it as it comes, don't have any expectations and before you know it baby will be here safe and sound. Looking back my labour felt like a couple hours :lol:

xxxxx

Last edited:
These are both fab stories, thanks for sharing :)

I still can't believe how quick yours was Kanga! Hope you're both doing well today. Xxx

My first was kind of an induction....my waters started leaking early hours Thursday morning but nothing happened so I was booked in for induction Friday afternoon. I had the pessary around 6pm which started a few crampy pains that soon eased off. I was eventually sent round to delivery midday Saturday to be put on the drip. MW examined me before starting the drip and said there was still some waters intact, so she broke those - contractions started within half an hour, baby was born 9.32pm less than 8 hours after first contraction, with no need for the drip in the end.
Hoping for something similar this time, without the waiting around at the start for a space on the delivery ward.
The scariest bit is the not knowing what's going to happen or how long it's going to take.
Oscar was born 39+1, I'll be 39wks tomorrow so hoping I'm just as ready as last time and it all happens without too much intervention or waiting around.
Xxx

Good luck!!!
i was induced at 38 weeks, only needed the one pessary, Was induced around 6PM, was 4CM by 4AM so taken to delivery suite. Waters broke at 5AM and baby was born at 8:22AM. All on gas & air :) xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back