Induction booked (WARNING RANT!!)

Dee83

Reaction score
for xmas eve :(

Throughout my pregnancy i have been under consultant led care and have been told that they won't allow me to go too far over my due date because of my condition.
Well, i had an appt with a terrible consultant yesterday who basically told me that they can't induce me any earlier than 40+10 days as if my cervix is still closed, and my BS score still 4, it could result in a C-section??? What a load of rubbish, my cervix could still be closed at 40+10 couldn't it and they would still go ahead with the induction. The care i got from him was really bad, he didn't even offer to check my cervix (which i was told would happen at this appt), i had to ask him to do it for me. He then wrote in my notes that my cervix was hard and 2cm long when in the last 3 sweeps i've had they've said it is very soft and in the last one it was 1cm long?! He, like most of the consultants i've seen, knew next to nothing about my condition (which i do understand as it's not a very common one) and wouldn't listen to anything i was trying to explain to him about it. As i "seem" well he was acting like there was no need to be induced early, but that's not the issue, the issue is how my body will be after the birth if i am left to go too far overdue.
In his induction diary i could see that he had spaces for Wed 21st, which would make me 40+7 (still further over than i thought they would let me go) but he wouldn't allow me to have that date saying that as i would only be 7days over the induction is less likely to work than if i was 10days over??!!
I cried thoughout the appt as i was so shocked at what he was saying. I know that even girls on here have been induced far earlier than 40wks, i don't believe that what he was saying is correct.
I don't have a named MW as such due to being under the consultants care, i have seen a different consultant at each appointment too. Anyway, i managed to get hold of a MW this morning to discuss things with her. She asked me the name of the consultant and i couldn't tell her as he didn't even write his name or sign my notes (as well as not writing about the babies presentation etc). She asked me what my BS score was and i told her that it is 4, whatever that means, and she said that it could still be at 4 by the time i get to 40+10 anyway so she doesn't understand why he was saying what he was saying. She has told me to call and try and get an appt with a nother cons asap, which i have done and i'm just waiting for them to get back to me.

So sorry for the rant girls but i am just so stressed out about the whole situation, i needed to get it off my chest!

Does anyone know if what he was saying is correct about the BS score and the cervix being closed when inducing would result in c-section?

xxx

Omg babe that's so shitty! How dare they treat you like that! I'm glad you've found a nice midwife who's trying to help. Did the consultant not see how upset you are? Why would a hospital want to create more work for themselves on Xmas eve! I'm fuming for you!!!!

Thats horrible of him hun!! Fx'd you get another app soon and sort it all out xx

Yeah, he even said that he could see how upset i was but it was in my best interest to wait until 40+10 as my cervix isn't favourable for induction at the moment. But what's to say that it's going to be favourable by then anyway?! I just don't understand as lots of people get induced even earlier than 40wks dont they. I could have coped with him letting me have it at 40+7 but making me wait longer is just going to have me very worried about how everythings going to turn out.

Thats stupid Ive got OC and they have discussed the possibility of inducing me at 38 weeks which im pressuming nothing will have happened it that direction so dont get why they cant do it for you?!

I hope someone gets back in contact with you that knows what they are talking about, thats the last thing you want to hear, big hugs honey! XX

Thats stupid Ive got OC and they have discussed the possibility of inducing me at 38 weeks which im pressuming nothing will have happened it that direction so dont get why they cant do it for you?!

I hope someone gets back in contact with you that knows what they are talking about, thats the last thing you want to hear, big hugs honey! XX

That's exactly what i thought, lots of people get induced earlier dont they! I've been told by lots of different consultants that they would induce me early, think i'm just unlucky to have had the most important appt with a crap consultant!! xx

I think also in someplaces they are cutting back on inductions!

Might not be what you want but could you request a csection before that date?

I was induced at 35 weeks with my first as he wasn't growing so my cervix defiantly wasn't favourable and had him naturally was induced at 38wks this time cervix soft . Can't believe they r messing u around so much !! I was lucky and saw same consultant throughout . Maybe mention putting in a complaint bout the care next time u speak to someone that might move things along a bit xxx

Can u request to see another consultant!

Sent from my gorgeous iphone4

That is shocking! My MW friend has explained to me that the Bishop's score tells you how favourable your cervix is, taking into account all the various bits of information, like whether it's hard or soft, long or short, to the front or to the back, etc. The lower the score, the less likely an induction is to be successful and the higher the chance of a C section - I think the highest possible score was something like 10 or 12, I can't really remember which, but also I think she said they won't induce you if the score is too high, either (I suppose you'd be in labour by that point, anyway?). So in a way he may be right that by waiting longer the Bishop's score has a chance of increasing and your induction might have a better chance of being successful, and I think this is why in most hospitals they don't induce early willy-nilly; BUT sometimes there are very good reasons to induce early, and it sounds like yours is one of those cases, otherwise all those other consultants wouldn't have said so! Would definitely try to get an appointment with somebody else - pester them if they don't phone you back soon!

Just heard back about seeing another consultant for a second opinion and they couldn't fit me in until the 22nd which is 2 days before they want to induce me anyway so i didn't take it. The MW i spoke to is going to go to the hospital this evening when shes finished her rounds to see if there's anything she can do although she said she will be unable to over-ride the cons' decision herself.

I was induced at 35 weeks with my first as he wasn't growing so my cervix defiantly wasn't favourable and had him naturally was induced at 38wks this time cervix soft . Can't believe they r messing u around so much !! I was lucky and saw same consultant throughout . Maybe mention putting in a complaint bout the care next time u speak to someone that might move things along a bit xxx

Did they need to give you the gel stuff to make your cervix more favourable before inducing you?

have you tried all the usual stuff to try and bring labour on urself!! as induction is not a very nice process anyway, but if needs be like it seems then they need to sort you out!! i was scared of being induced 2nd time as i didnt wanna end up with a section, so i took matter into my own hands and it worked :)

i went out and bought the durex tingle lube as MW said its similar to the stuff they induce you with at hosp and even better when mixed with the sperm (TMI) when u do the deed, an hour later labour started for me!! not sure if it was a coincidence but i will defo be trying it agian with this one nearer the time!!

Good luck and hope it all happens before the induction date planned for you :) xx

Hun I completely hear your pain. Your consultant is an arse especially not taking into account your medical history!!! I'm so sorry u r stressed about it, it really doesn't help things I know but let's hope the babies make an appearance before then of their own accord? I hope your midwife can help sort things out tonight, keep us posted xxxx

Yeah, the last thing i want is to be induced. I have tried the usual things sex (twice yesterday :shock:), curry, walks. Note to self - buy Tingle Lube!! Thanks Lyndsey!

Forest, it's such a nytmare isn't it. Makes you feel more under pressure to get him out before the induction date, which isn't good as we need to be as relaxed as possible at this time dont we :roll: xxx

Forest, it's such a nytmare isn't it. Makes you feel more under pressure to get him out before the induction date, which isn't good as we need to be as relaxed as possible at this time dont we :roll: xxx
It is a nightmare! I know at the end of the day as long as baby is fit and well it shouldn't matter how and when the baby is delivered but it's so hard to be so cheerful and positive esp when my worst nightmare is to have an Xmas day baby! Fingers crossed xx

You're usually only under 1 consultant for the whole of your care, the fact that you see different people means that they're junior doctors, usually anything from SHO to registrar. Some of these know more about what they're talking about than others in my experience, it might be worth just asking to see YOUR consultant instead of another, because the chances are you haven't met him/her yet as some people never do.

Just had a call from the MW. She has been up to the hospital and spoken with my consultant (who i've only ever met once - like jojo says!) and they have brought my induction forward by 2days so that i will only be 40+8. I feel a bit better about it being a little earlier however it's still later than i was initially told it would be. The chances are i will still be in hospital over xmas but i'm trying to not let that bother me, as long as baby and i are ok that's the main thing.

Glad that u have an earlier induction date honey....that's really good. Let's hope u dot need it xxxxx

It is a nightmare! I know at the end of the day as long as baby is fit and well it shouldn't matter how and when the baby is delivered but it's so hard to be so cheerful and positive esp when my worst nightmare is to have an Xmas day baby! Fingers crossed xx

The MW said that they recommend us to have sex 3x a day to help to start things off or even to make the cervix more favourable for induction!! I thought she was joking at first and laughed but she was completely serious! How are we supposed to fit that in! :shock: xxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back