Induced Labour due to Gestational Diabetes

cers123

Reaction score
So at 30 weeks I discovered i had GD, they wanted one of my results on the test to be 10 and mine was 10.2. Since then ive had to check my bloods making sure they were fine and adjust my diet. Ive been able to work fine with the GD on a diet controlled basis which has been great and they are really happy about.

I am now 36+5 weeks and been for my usual visit to the diabetes clinic at the hospital to which i was told by the consultant, " you will not be going over 40 weeks " as well as " your baby is measuring a bit bigger than we would like"... at 35 weeks the baby was 5.6lbs which i thought was quite normal...

She told me that i will need to get a plan in place (which i should be doing tomorrow with my normal consultant at the hospital) and that she wants to see me back for an appointment in 2 weeks time and she will (if i dont have one already) give me a date to be induced.

She has advised she wants the baby born on this side of 40 weeks as opposed to the other side. im excited because im glad that im not going over 40 weeks and my LO will be here sooner than i thought lol....

My question is has anyone ever been through this, experienced this or have any insight into this atal. I assumed you see if diet controlled i would be fine but now im not so sure.

xx:shock:

No exp but my baby measured 6lb4 estimated at 36 weeks and they told me that was in fact average and noy to worry so I don't think your baby is massive that said they go by the abdomen measurement and leg and head mostly to determine size so it could be these measurements were high ? Particularly the abdomen (personally I worry more about head lol!)

Hi Hun I had gestational diabetes and diet controlled all the way through from 28 weeks consultant kept saying that I could go 10 days over due date however cause he measured big all the way through when I went for my final growth scan at 37 +5 he was already nearly 9lbs so the consultant did a sweep there and then and booked me in for a induction 3 days later! I went in to be induced last Friday and didn't need to have the gel or anything as was already 4 cms and only needed waters broke, just lots of waiting around because labour ward was full and I didn't get in there till 6.30pm I had my waters broke and jack arrived at 1.05 am Saturday morning.......it does all seem daunting but they will always err on the side if caution due to the risks assosicated with gestational diabetes. Hope everything goes well for you Hun xx

I was diagnosed with GD at 28 week GTT and after 2 weeks on diet had to go on metformin. My scan on 29/40 was normal and they don't just go by weight but the centiles of head and particularly abdominal circumference which will give an indication if baby likely to be bigger. I have been offered a sweep at 38 weeks as they offer this to all GD women. I have a scan booked for 36 weeek to see growth and check position as breech at the moment. So quite normal procedure.

I'm the same diagnosed with GD at 28 weeks, growth scan booked in in 1st Aug x

I didn't realise this was like a normal procedure for us to go through I'm excited but so nervous .... I've my app tomorrow to find out more !!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back