Improving egg quality for the over 40's

lillith112

Reaction score
I'm just wondering what else I can do to improve egg quality, I've just bough maca, and bee pollen, I'm taking Royal jelly and vitamins. 15 months ttc is getting a bit tedious �� . Should I book in at Drs and ask for bloods ?, I was at Drs a couple of months ago and mentioned it, all she asked was whether my periods were regular !. x

Last edited:
Lillith, it's defo worth doing the blood tests. I asked my GP. So he said I could have 1-5 day one and then on day 21.

It's worth doing that. There is so much info online. But I'd say plenty of organic veg and quit completely red meat or non organic meat as to start with. Red meat contains so much bad stuff. I don't eat it. X

Summer is approaching so is fresh fruit and veg season. x

Last edited:
Lillith, it's defo worth doing the blood tests. I asked my GP. So he said I could have 1-5 day one and then on day 21.

It's worth doing that. There is so much info online. But I'd say plenty of organic veg and quit completely red meat or non organic meat as to start with. Red meat contains so much bad stuff. I don't eat it. X

Summer is approaching so is fresh fruit and veg season. x

Hi hun, to be honest I'm not keen on eating meat anyway especially red meat, I never eat beef, can't remember the last time I had lamb. I have occasional chicken, fish and bacon but not that often. I will make an appointment to see my Dr see if she'll do bloods then. Thanks Charlotte x

Hope it goes well.

There was a good article online I found the other day. How to improve your eggs in 90 days. I will dig around and will try to find it this evening.

Reflexology is very good for your ovaries x

I don't think there are any blood tests that show the quality of your eggs unfortunately. There is one that shows your egg reserves, ie how many you have left (not exact number). I had that done a year ago, I was 43 and was told that my levels were "poor" in the general scale but actually very good for my age - equivalent to a woman of 35 rather than 43. However, they also said that's no guarantee as to quality. The 21 day blood test (which I've also had) just shows whether or not you've ovulated, not the quality of that egg. I've heard of the earlier blood tests but I don't know what they're for.

I spend a lot of time (far too much) googling about fertility, there are the supplements that Charlotte has mentioned. Also, many articles I've read say you should take ubiquinol rather than COQ10, you need less as it's much more easily absorbed, this is for egg quality. There are even articles that say if you are over 40, COQ10 is pretty much a waste of time, only ubiquinol will help. Ubiquinol is, of course, more expensive. I know someone else on this forum said she has seen articles saying ubiquinol is no better - I've never actually come across those, only ones that say it is better but of course you can never be 100% sure what the accurate information is. It certainly doesn't do any harm taking ubiquinol instead of coq10, other than to the purse strings, and frankly I'm willing to try anything!

Sorry for the rambling post...

I'm 42 and this is what I took for 2-4 months prior to this pregnancy, I've also been having reflexology fortnightly
Royal jelly
Bee propolis
Spirulina
Serrapeptase
Maca
Wheatgrass shots

Last edited:
I don't think there are any blood tests that show the quality of your eggs unfortunately. There is one that shows your egg reserves, ie how many you have left (not exact number). I had that done a year ago, I was 43 and was told that my levels were "poor" in the general scale but actually very good for my age - equivalent to a woman of 35 rather than 43. However, they also said that's no guarantee as to quality. The 21 day blood test (which I've also had) just shows whether or not you've ovulated, not the quality of that egg. I've heard of the earlier blood tests but I don't know what they're for.

I spend a lot of time (far too much) googling about fertility, there are the supplements that Charlotte has mentioned. Also, many articles I've read say you should take ubiquinol rather than COQ10, you need less as it's much more easily absorbed, this is for egg quality. There are even articles that say if you are over 40, COQ10 is pretty much a waste of time, only ubiquinol will help. Ubiquinol is, of course, more expensive. I know someone else on this forum said she has seen articles saying ubiquinol is no better - I've never actually come across those, only ones that say it is better but of course you can never be 100% sure what the accurate information is. It certainly doesn't do any harm taking ubiquinol instead of coq10, other than to the purse strings, and frankly I'm willing to try anything!

Sorry for the rambling post...

Bless you thanks so much Syd, I did read about the Q10 ubiquinol and ordered some yesterday, I will be like a chemical cocktail soon lol xx

I'm 42 and this is what I took for 2-4 months prior to this pregnancy, I've also been having reflexology fortnightly
Royal jelly
Bee propolis
Spirulina
Serrapeptase
Maca
Wheatgerm shots

Thankyou so much Karen, you give me hope, I am already taking royal jelly, bee pollen, is that different to propolis ?. I've just started on Maca powder, Q10 and my usual pregnancy vitamins. I can't Sa I've ever heard of serrapeptase. xx

I was 31 when diagnosed with poor egg quality and high fsh. I'm now 34 with a beautiful 10 month old. I was basically told to consider donor eggs. Well I was on maca, royal jelly, wheatgrass smoothies, acupuncture, he used something on me called a moxa box which I think hugely helped. Also took baby aspirin off my own back as thought what I haven't tried can't make things worse, well I conceived that month weeks after a cancelled ivf cycle. Good luck and don't give up hope but defo get those tests x

Last edited:
That's a great story Lucyboo. I've just been reading about how great wheatgrass shots are.

Lucybo, Did you take wheatgrass as a powder and put it into the smoothie?

xx

Yes I did Charlotte. Tasted pretty rank on its own, I think I had to go for berry based smoothies rather than orange coloured if I remember rightly, well it was one or the other that worked better. x

Wowee some great tips here ladies I'm glad I had a nosey! I'm not over 40 yet but mid 30s so any health benefits are closely listened to.

I am either in or nearly in my 2ww after NTNP but looking at all this makes me a bit anxious....I've been mega stressed out past couple of months buying a new home and have a 6 month old baby& 3 yr old so not been eating or drinking healthily at all! If I don't get a positive this month then I'm going to crack on with the healthy stuff as we are obvs considering another baby so would be better to be on the safe side - will also help to get my bmi down too.

Can I ask where do you ladies get all these bits and bobs from is it expensive? Any savers tips? :)

It can be expensive but look for the three for two deals in holland and Barrett for your capsules. The wheatgrass shots are expensive and I found mine on amazon x

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    169.7 KB · Views: 13
Cheers I've just been taking folic acid since last week when I realised ...but will be more conscientious from now on, It's got to be good for you anyway even if NTNP X

That's never 15 quid per shot! How often are you meant to take it? :shock: jeez

Gosh, thankyou so much ladies, can I ask what dose of each you were taking please ?. You have all given me a little glimmer of hope xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gzmndrea
Back