Implant vs coil

Pudds86

Reaction score
Looking for some opinions on these! I haven't been on any contraception since i was 17 and I was crap at taking the pill. I am also a bit funny about messing with mother nature however I need something a bit more permanent. I've narrowed it down to these and have read quite a bit about them but want to hear some personal experiences....

Do you still have a period?
Has your coil come out?
Have these failed for you?
Any weight gain / loss?
Hormones?

Xxxx

Tapatalking :-D Can't see tickers...

I had implant in for a year. Bled almost constantly. Hated it. Once this baby here Im going for the coil!!

mummy to ds 11/7/11
pregnant *team pink* due 12/9/13

I had the implant for just over 2 years before we started TTC and took it out and I loved it. Didn't have a single period during that time and no side effects. I will be having it again after this baby.

I've had the coil put in about 3 weeks ago and I'm still bleeding! I think that's normal though and it will ease off soon, I'm hoping so anyway x

I had the coil for 5 months and only had 3 bleed free days! Hated it made me feel ill. Was told if the coil didn't suit that neither would the implant as its the same hormones xx

The first 3 years I had the implant were fine, minimal periods etc. However, once I had it replaced it was a nightmare; constant bleeding and I was a hormonal mess. I'm not going anywhere near hormonal contraception now so it will be a copper coil for me xx

I've had the implant since Oct
Periods much heavier (but could be post baby?!)
Weight loss but only because important trying,
i bled constantly for 2 mths but it calmed down and is now every 6-8weeks?!
xx

Using tapatalk can't see tickers

Hi hun

I had the implant about 4 years ago. Was ok to start but then bleed constantly. Kept it in for about a year and half total hoping it would settle. Since having lo. I've tried the copper. I suffer from dysmenorrhoea so I didnt get told it could make me a lot worse. I lasted 6 weeks on it and now have a merina. I've had it about 3 weeks now. No spotting and I'm on my first period with it. Still super painful but not as bad as the copper. All seems to be going well. it seems f4om what I read about implant v merins. If one doesn't work well for you then the other might work better.

Sent from my GT-N7105 using Tapatalk 2

I've had 2 implants.

The first i still got my regular period, bang on time every month only my horrendous period pains were gone i was pain free, and loved it.

The second implant i had put in stopped my periods all together and didn't return until the last year of the implant and even then it was just spot bleeding around the time my period was due.

However i wouldn't have it again, not because of the implant itself but because i don't trust my doctor. When i had the second implant put in he failed to remove the first implant and so i had 2 in my body for near 3 years. He was adamant it wouldn't have caused damage but when i spoke to a doctor at my local sex health clinic, had to go there to get it removed as it had burrowed in and the doctor at my surgery couldn't remove it, the other doc said it would have been giving me a double dose for sometime as there not like taps they don't just turn off after 3 years but slowly run out, and 3 years is the safety mark to get them removed.

Anyhow had it removed and then struggled to conceive for nearly 3 years. I'm not saying that was solely down to the implant, more the doctors neglect, so just make sure if you have one put it that you have a competent doctor :D

x x x

Also i've never had a coil myself but my friend has, and she bleed the hole time she had it in. It made her fairly poorly, needed iron tablets and eventually had it taken out after a year.

x x x

Hi Hun.

I had two implants, my first went th whole 3 years. I had irregular bleeding for the first 6 months, horrible skin, moody then settled and then when I got a new one put in I went from a size 10-14 and couldn't shift it! I went to gym, done diets and nothing would shift it. Was also moody as hell all the way through the second one. I got my second implant out after 2 year and it took a year for the weight to come off.

Apart from the awful skin, weight gain, moodiness, low sex drive and abundant cm - when I got it removed the first time they made such a mess of my arm I couldn't even move my hand for a week, was all bruised and tendons so sore. The second removal was a breeze so it just depends who u get for removal.

All in all i didn't get pregnant on it, and it was good to not have that worry, but now I won't ever go back. It was awful for me. Xxxxx

The first 3 years I had the implant were fine, minimal periods etc. However, once I had it replaced it was a nightmare; constant bleeding and I was a hormonal mess. I'm not going anywhere near hormonal contraception now so it will be a copper coil for me xx

Lmao this is exactly like me.

The second one was awful. I'm gettin copper coil when I can remember to sort a bloody appointment lolol xxxx

Wow ladies, thank you so much for your replies. Everyones experiences are so different!!

Im so confused at which to go for. Im leaning towards to implant purely for practicality and not worrying about it coming out.

Im worried about weight gain but it doesn't seem to have affected many people.

Xx

I had the implant for 9 months, and within the 1st month I put on weight, and I kept gaining weight for the full 9 months. I felt very hormonal on the implant, and it was awful... I knew I was being hormonal but I couldn't help it. I actually felt possessed and like my head was not in control of my body... I can honestly say I had the worst 6 months of my life while on the implant and after speaking to a doctor I was told they wanted to remove it.
I've had the injection and the pill, and I've been fine... So I don't know why I was so bad with the implant. I had quite heavy bleeding on the implant and was given a pill to regulate the bleeding. I took that for 3 months.
I was a bit wary of getting the Mirena coil due to it having hormones but after a chat with the doctor I decided to go for it. I've had it for 8 and a half months and I've been great :) no hormoal side affects so far! And my bleeding was quite light on and off, for a few weeks. I've had slight bleeding a couple of times. But only needing a panty liner not a full pad.

I've had the coil for 3 months now. I've got pretty mixed opinions about it to be honest!

Pros -
No weight gain. I have the copper coil and therefore less or no hormones involved.
My skin is generally better again because of it not being a hormonal contraceptive.

Cons -
I dread the day i have to have it taken out!
It makes my periods a lot more painful and i get really bad cramping through the month on one particular side of my body.
My periods are heavier and more painful.

I haven't decided yet whether the pros outweigh the cons but for now I'm just going to stick with it and make do :)

I'm on my 3rd implant, first and second implants, a period maybe 2-3 times a year a little weight gain, but can't be sure it was the implant as I wasn't the most active person then.

Implant removed as we were ttc.

Had my 3rd implant put in, was fine for the first month then my bleeding started to increase, I was on for a week off for 2 weeks, then on for 2 weeks off for a week, until I pretty much bled constantly. I rang the docs and she prescribed me a 3 month course of the pill to help settle down the bleeding, it worked and no bleeding for a year. No weight gain with this implant.

I had the implant years ago. I HATED it. the first 2 months I bled constantly. Then I stopped bleeding completely, but my body took this to mean I was pregnant and I started getting pregnancy symptoms =/ My gp said I was having a 'phantom pregnancy'. I ended up getting it taken out early. My body really doesn't react too well to hormonal contraception overall x

Ive had the implant in for 2.5 years. Have only had 1 period no significant weight gain & have been able to diet and loose weight! No moodiness eithier yet I was a hormonal wreck on the pill. xx

Sent from my GT-I8190 using Tapatalk 2

I have the implant Hun its nearly coming up a year now. At first I was a hormonal mess lol but now it's settled down now.
my periods aren't as regular as they once were but I don't mark them on the Callander anymore so I'm not totally sure, but they are much lighter, and at least I'm safe,well as safe as any contraception is. And As far as weight gain I'm not very active and I like chocolate so I couldn't say it's due to the implant:roll:

Just remember like any you can always have it removed! If its not suitable

Yeah true about removal but such a faff! Im really considering steering clear now of either lol

If you aren't great with hormonal contraception then I would say the copper coil is the best bet.

I had 4 months back on the pill and my God it was horrendous. Same pill I was on pre-TTC but it affected me so differently.

That is me done with hormonal contraception.

Am debating the copper coil but currently using condoms [for the most part anyway] and avoiding fertile time

xxxxxxxxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kiara.y2
Back