I'm now anaemic

Reaction score
I had bloods taken at my 28 week MW appointment on Monday and just received a letter from my MW saying my haemoglobin level is now 9.3 :(

When I had my bloods tested last time ( think it was at my booking appointment) it was a healthy 12.5

This seems such a drastic change in such a sort time.

I have an appointment booked with my Dr next week for iron tablets ........has anyone else suffered with this ? How much can this affect my pregnancy ?

I certainly explains why I have been feel extremely tired now.

Try not to worry hun. I was prescribed iron tablets at around 30 weeks for anaemia. I was taking 2 a day but they may ask you to take 3. Take with vitamin C to encourage absorbtion and be prepared for really black, yucky number twos!

Also try and eat plenty of foods high in iron - you should be able to find a list on Google.
They didnt test my iron levels again but I had a normal vaginal birth.

Write down any questions you have to ask midwife/doctor xx

I had this with my pregnancy.

My Hb level was 8.7 and the tablets weren't doing anything (had severe sickness all the way through - joys!!). They just monitor it really. Only effect it will have on you apart from the tiredness will be after labour, when you lose blood. My Hb went down to 7.3 after my emergency c-section so I ended up having a transfusion.

Of course, if you can take the tablets, you'll be fine! Agree with above, vit c and black plop lol!

Don't panic. Get necking those iron tablets ASAP. Take after food and with vit c (minimum side effects and maximum absorption) and you will up your iron. Mines gone from 103 to 109 in just a few short weeks.

You need to be over 100 (or 10, depending on the units your hospital use) to be able to give birth in a MW led unit, and like the others have said it will likely affect u after birth.

If u can't tolerate iron tabs, spa tone is supposed to be very good. U can buy it in pharmacys. Although it isn't cheap its cheaper then living off of steak and high iron foods lol. Good luck!

Xx

You can get Spatone on prescription from your GP (since that makes it free with your NHS mat card!) if you don't wish to pay too!!

Spinach spinach and cornflakes. I swear by them both. And my iron levels have stayed good. With steaks thrown.in for good measure :)
Don't worry, plenty of time to get your levels back up. Obv take the tablets but body absorbs iron from food much easier. Esp with vit C as was said above. Xx

I saw my MW today and have also been diagnosed with anaemia today... She didn't say much just to take two of the iron tablets a day (got to wait two days for prescription to be ready) and avoid drinking tea/coffe around same time as taking tablets as that will affect them working properly.

Don't really know what it all means otherwise but seems quite common xx

I had my bloods done at 28 weeks and they came back with a hb of 10.3 but my Dr didn't want to put me on iron unless it went under 10. I'm now almost 33 weeks and really feeling the effects. I am exhausted every day and as you can see by my post time I'm also struggling to sleep. I get really bad restless legs to the point where they twitch or jerk on their own so I end up getting up so that my partner can get some sleep. I try everything to prevent it but nothing seems to work, getting really fed up now :-\ I feel bad on baby too as baby is really good and goes to sleep when I lie down but with the twitches it wakes baby up and its not fair. I have tried eating lots of iron rich food, taking feroglobin iron supplement, having exercise, taking baths or showers, having a nap in the day but nothing really helps. I have also neen getting itchy with it the last few nights too. I have tried loratadine antihistamine tablets to stop itches and paracetamol incase its from being too hot etc, I even wash my legs with a cold flannel but to no avail. I really love being pregnant but at the moment when its getting to a point when nothing helps all I want is for baby to come out!! I would much rather have a sleepless night because baby needs me than to have stupid twitchy legs :'(

Im low iron too found out at 28 bloods x

mummy to ds 11/7/11
pregnant *team pink* due 12/9/13

Thanks ladies for the reply's :)

It seems this can be very common in pregnancy and the only risk is after giving birth and if my levels are below 10

I have an appointment with my GP on Tuesday to get some tablets so fingers crossed :) xx

Have picked p my tablets today and just started them. Does our bloods get re tested during pregnancy to check iron levels progress? X

Yes!!! Can't see tickers so don't know how far along you are into the third tri, but every other midwife appointment they take bloods routinely to keep an eye on levels. Because mine were so low, I had blood taken every appointment, but that was standard procedure for low Hb. If you can keep tablets down, take them lol!'

Okay thanks. I've only been taking them one day and am already deciding against taking them... Side effects are unpleasant and my MW did not warn me at all!! I think I'm going to see how I go but if tablets don't work out I will change my diet to try compensate for my lack or iron. Plus I also got some pregnancy vitamins the other day that also have100 percent of my recommended daily iron intake so that should help surely, and they have no horrid side effects!

Xx

Yeah, the side effects can be horrid, but the tablets are absorbed faster than the vits, hence why they're prescribed. If you're not too bad then the vits will help, results are just a bit slower!

Have picked p my tablets today and just started them. Does our bloods get re tested during pregnancy to check iron levels progress? X

I got told they wouldn't be re checked routinely, but that was prob cos they wernt quite low enough to make me high risk! I did actually have them checked at a GP appt though due to palpitations.

Xx

I've been taking Spatone, its an iron supplement really easily absorbed and I have had no nasty side effects, they do a special pregnancy one too and I have found itreally helpful. My restless legs were driving me to distraction but I feel this has helped.
Only negative is it is a bit expensive - but I decided to get some as I couldnt cope anymore!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lauramayne90
Back