I'm never going to a doctor again!!!

_Rosie_

Reaction score
well first off i never get the same doctor twice :x its so annoying explainin myself to each different one!!

anyway i went today to pick up results of a blood test that i had for diabetes. after i got the results i explained i was only gettin a period every 5 to 6 months and i was worried about pcos cos i also hav sum of the other symptoms and she just laughed at me like literally laughed and said well every teenager has irregular periods (im 18 ) and told me to come back in 2 years if i still wasnt regular. she said in a really patronising voice " we cant test every teenager for pcos just coz they are irregular you will just have to go on the pill if your that bothered!"

:evil: surely not every teenager has it??! i will just have to try agnus castus and hope i get them more regular. i just feel so down at the moment i want to be a mummy so much! :cry:

sorry for the rant x x x

hi!

Sorry your doctors have been unhelpful. I am 19 have PCOS and have been TTC for almost 15months now and they were being very unhelpful considering i have only had 3 periods in my life. Its taken me 5months and 4 doctors to finally get a referal to the hospital! Hold in there hope they do try and do something for me. PM me if u want any advise or a rant.

x

I'm not agreeing with your doctor's way of telling you, but...

before I got pregnant with my DS at 18, I had a period roughly 4 times a year if that. I was told you probably have a problem with your hormones come back when you want to concieve. I got pregnant anyway despite trying my hardest not to :oops:

after I'd had him - my periods have been roughly every 28 - 42 days, settling down more and more the older I get until the last few years they've more or less been 28 days.

I had no problems, it really was just that my body was still changing - we tend to think of puberty ending at 16 but it doesn't, your hormones are still adapting to your body and there's nothing anyone can do to help that except give it time. I know its annoying, just keep trying all the time and I'm sure a bfp won't be far away

My cycles only started becoming regular (around 40 days long) when I hit my late 20's. i was always convinced that there was something wrong, that I would be infertile, had pcos or similar. I was even convinced when I had my first early scan with this pregnancy that something awful would be found - it wasn't!

For some of us it just takes a little longer for our cycles to settle, there's women on this forum who have had regular cycles for years and then suddenly encounter lengthened cycles for no apparent reason. Sometimes our bodies just decide to behave in certain way which we can't control.

Perhaps start temping, its really simple and free (once you've bought your thermometer). OPKs are great too. You'll get plenty of advice and support on this forum. Most importantly, try not to stress about it too much, you'll get your BFP soon....xxxx

thanx for replies girls.

yeh i know i suppose its coz by body is still changing but its kinda hard to except coz i feel so much older then my years! lol its not so much what she told me its how she told me that really upset me.
although i do have symptoms of pcos but i spose its like everything your body can play tricks on you!

I know exactly how you feel about seeing a different doctor everytime and having to explain everything all over again I have been having on going hormone problems for about 2 years and having to explain everything over and over again is depressing and frustrating I have one doctor I really like and try to see if possible but she is very popular and only works part time so this generally isnt possible, I do think it is important to see a doctor you are happy with for long term problems if you cant find that at the practice you are with right now then I would recommend looking for a new practice and finding a doctor who understands your concerns and takes you seriously!

I was very concerned about PCOS and pushed for a test it came back negative but it was a relief for me to have this ruled out the piece of mind was worth the pushing to have it done if this is something your really concerned about really push for a test, I have PCOS in my family which put me at a higher risk of having it so they gave in does anyone on your family have it?

What a patronising so and so!!

I hope you get things sorted, or fall pregnant hopefully before! why not see another doctor and see what they say and complain about the doc you saqw becuase she was rude calling you a teenager. At 18 your fully grown and a woman.

A teenager is what id call a 13 yr old.

i have the same with my doctor... or usually they fob you off with 'your not in any rush are you?' or 'youve got plenty of time' :x its like you dont even matter. GRR!

I know how I would react to that, id be furious.

Do doctors think you have to be respectably married and a certain age before they wont patronise you on the subject if TTC.

I will be changing doctors. i been livin with OH for over 2 years and i still havn't changed doctors i been travelling an hour and a half each time to go to the doctors near my mums house but now she's movin and wont be registered at that address anymore i will have to!

luckily for me OH's brother in law will have finished his training to become a gp early next year and he said he would do everything he can to help us conceive!!! so i cant wait for that it should finally get the ball rollin.

i know how you feel i am diabetic and also wanting to be a mum

It's true that these days there's a 'young mums stigma'. Most people think that 25 is still too young. But every woman is different and for some being a mum is exactly what they want to do, would be really good at, and are ready for. Don't let your doctor's patronising attitude get to you. Maybe find a new one.

It's wierd though that you have experienced this attitude to your irregular cycles. I didn't get my period until I was 15 and then it only came once every 6 months or so until I was 20 or so. Now I am 29 and it is more or less regular at 39-45 days. Still long but far from being unheard of.

When I went to doctors at your age they were worried and did different kinds of tests. In the end they concluded it was just my cycle. But I wish someone had been the there to tell me that it was normal for some women. Reading this thread is the first time ever I've encountered women that have experienced the same thing before. So at least you know that it is normal! I wish a doctor had told me that. Not in the horrible way they told you, but with some tact.

I have always thought that I would be infertile. Now that we are ttc I have started charting and have seen that at least I ovulate. So for the first time I have some hope!

Good luck with finding the right doctor for you :hug: :hug:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back