im confused about the bbt charting xx

Baileys-Angel

Reaction score
hey all :wave:
i have been bbt charting for a year now and understood that when yr temp rises then that is when you are ovulating? is this right? also arent you meant to bm before yr temp rises as when it drops you have missed the boat so to speak?

Yep thats right. Id still keep BDing after your temp has dropped though as the egg can still be fertilised for up to 36 hours after ovulation. :)

Well your temps actually rise the day after you have ovulated normally. How many days after the rise did your temp then drop? But yes, you need to get the bding in before the temp rise.

the rise in your temp at OV time is caused by progesterone hormone. This hormone is produced by the ovum sack (it has got a proper name but I can't remember what it is) that once held the the egg. therefore once your temps start to rise it's a good sign that you have ovulated. If you have a rough idea from past charts the day on which your temps go up it's best to start Bding the few days before and the day after. Bearing in mind that on average an egg only last 24 - 48 hours before it disintergrates but spermies can last a few days the couple of days before OV is most important.

some people have a temp dip on the day they OV so it's a good indicator that OV is about to happen and if you know your charts well enough you'll see a rise within a couple of days of that dip.

to second what Chrissy and CB23 wrote, the temp rise is ovulation, and after around 14 days you'll see it drop again, roughly when your period starts.

(Think Loola got a little mixed up - insert 'risen' for 'dropped' in her post, and it'll be right :wink: )

What are you using to chart? pen and paper or online software? Most of us use FertilityFriend (it's free!) - follow the link in any of our signatures to see our charts/set up your own. You can also use ovusoft at tcoyf.com, but you have to pay.

Anyway, if you use the online software, you can join our chartstalkers thread and we'll keep an eye on your chart for you and explain what's going on when if you want. :hug:

:wave:
for cb23 my temps are usually around 36.3 before ov, then jump to 36.8/9 around day 14ish then down to around 36.6 for the last two weeks. i was under the impression that i should bm on the day of the rise so i must be a little bit late each month. my ov day can range from day 12 to 17 so its very hard to pin point. my friend was told by her doc to bm from day 9 onwards and she got bfp.
i use a printout bbt chart, pen and paper to chart as i have to take them to the doctors with me but i have just joined the fertility friend as recommended. Thanks for your help ladies :) Babydust to all xx

That makes sense, if your ov date moves around I would try to identify fertile time by observing your cervical fluid, Fertility Friend will send you an email course explaining how. If the day of the rise is the day of ov you should be bding at the right time but should also try a few days before which is difficult when its not a regular day for you, hence observing cervical fuid may help.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back