Ideas for lunches (7 months)

Lucyboo

Reaction score
Right, my LG is almost 7 months. Need ideas what to put on her bread/ toast for lunch. I'm paranoid about giving her too much salt etc. so worried about trying marmite. My friends daughter used to have peanut butter but I don't know when I should introduce that. Don't really want jam as then worried about too much sugar, tried a thin sprinkling of grated cheese on toast which she enjoyed, just trying to up her intake of food as hv told me to get her down to 3 bigger bottles but that will only work if she eats enough at lunch. This is all so I can give her one huge bottle about 7pm for bed x

Last edited:
Try avocado or banana? I mash them together with a splash of yoghurt and my daughter loves.

Soft cheese and hummus are also good on toast if you are being specific with bread options.

I do find lunch the harder of the meals too so will watch for other idea :)

My little girl is 8 months and loves cheese on toast. Discuss peanut butter with your hv but if there's no history of allergies or eczema she should be okay. Or try banana on toast

For my lg lunch is her big finger food meal, she usually has 2 different types of foods from the list below and then half a fruit pot to

A crumpet with butter
Toast with butter or cheese on toast
Half a banana
Sweet potato wedges
Parsnip or carrot sticks
A couple of Brussel sprouts
Hard boiled egg in slices (she usually only had one or two slices of this)
A couple of strawberries

Last edited:
That's helped a lot thanks. Same here with lunch being finger foods. I might hang fire on the peanut butter for now and ask next time I see hv. Her cousin (10 yrs old) has a cashew nut allergy. She loves her toast/bread but only ever has 1-2 fingers of it, hv said she needs more so need to tempt her in making it more interesting. Breakfast and dinner seem easy in comparison.

To change the subject a wee bit... Can I ask when you introduced bread into your babies diets?? my LO is 5 month so in a month I'll be inteoducing finger foods, can you give a 6month bread? xx

Keeping an eye on this as i'm struggling for variety for lunches. She mainly has soft cheese sandwiches, cucumber, banana, toast, yoghurt - like you i am apprehensive when it comes to jam because of added sugar and I think sandwich meat is a no no at this age?

My daughter has only just transitioned onto 3 x 8oz bottles a day and she's 8 months old.

Coleen, I was told give no dairy gluten meat etc before 6 mo this because of the allergy thing, once they hit 6 months can have anything but the obvious restrictions, honey, shellfish, there were a couple of others too but can't remember.

Last edited:
Problem with her milk is she drinks around 6oz in the morning, sometimes 1-2 oz in her breaky. She was only drinking about 3oz around midday but today dragged it out to 1.30pm, giving lunch a bit earlier today, still only took 3-4 oz, so might delay that bottle tomo until after her nap after lunch. She has never been a huge milk drinker, the most she ever had was 7oz.

To change the subject a wee bit... Can I ask when you introduced bread into your babies diets?? my LO is 5 month so in a month I'll be inteoducing finger foods, can you give a 6month bread? xx

I think toast is preferred to bread but yes give this in finger form at 6 months :)

Eggy cheesy bread- Parmesan sprinkled in an egg, whisked, dip bread and fry in a tspoon of oil.
Omelette- maybe cheese and a little bit of ham mixed in.
Scrambled egg.
I got stuck for sandwich fillings so I started making other bits instead. He also used to have ryvita with cream cheese, or butter and a smudge of marmite which he loves when he's teething. They go nice and soft so they can swallow easier.

At 7mo lunch should be their main meal of the day wiith a smaller meal at dinnertime. I did potatoes, meat and veg all mashed up and mixed with his milk for lunch, then did smaller meals like a sandwich, cheese on toast, fishfingers and beans, etc. for dinners. He switched to wanting a smaller lunch and bigger dinner at around 11 months old.

Last edited:
Hiya I can't give my daughter dairy but she loves tuna, ham, chicken, salmon sandwiches. Once a week I give her jam but only a thin amount. I've also done beans on toasts and smush them into the toast. This is messy but she likes it. She's been fussy since introducing bread at six months so new foods like bolonaise I have to put on bread for her to try it then eat it. Oh and she liked egg sandwiches. I do put fingers of veg down too so she can eat a bit of all sorts. I think hummus is a great idea so I think I'll try that next week too. My problem is getting water down her, I've bought so many different types of cups etc and still not having any luck!

Aimee we are having trouble getting our LG to drink anything too. She just spits it out. We are on her 3rd different cup . Looking at trying one of those 360 cups without a spout.

Omelette, tuna fritters, pancakes, scrambled eggs, cheese & broccoli muffins, pasta & tomato sauce, spaghetti Bol.

Actually anything I ate really,, though we dos bay led weaning.

I used to have a bag in the freezer off fingers of roasted veggies like carrots and parsnips and sweet potato etc and would microwave them for something she could pick up and feed herself.

sorry posted twice

Last edited:
I have the same problem giving Alex milk, he's just not interested. He used to take 7oz first thing in the morning but now doesn't look for it and we have to offer and we're lucky if he'll take 4oz in one sitting.

I've found the afternoon bottle works well 30mins after lunch before his nap and then he gets the rest after he wakes up depending on how long he's been down for if its too close to dinner time.

I don't give sandwiches yet, I tried but most of it ended up anywhere but his mouth and he is too hungry to do this so he gets Anabel Karmel style meals at lunch and dinner. He had a few snacks in the day of finger foods though x

A big hit with my son is pitta pizza. I use either a wholemeal pitta bread or Warburton thin slice (well normally supermarket own brand because the salt content is lower) put some tomato puree, oregano and cheese on it then put under the grill.

Some great ideas. This week we have tried hummus on toast, omelette fingers, fingers of cheese, she loves her finger foods at lunch and I have more time to let her explore her foods at that time of day. It's good as she has a substantial breakfast, recently upped to 3 spoons of porridge with fruit and either half an Ella's pouch or whatever I make myself and fruit or yoghurt for tea.

I'm loving the pizza outta idea as do similar on my slimming world for myself.

Suggestion for thoae struggling to get LO's to drink from a beaker we went straight to a normal cup. He started trying to grab a glass when we were drinking so we let him try it and he much prefers that to a beaker. Means he needs help to do it and it can get a little messy sometimes but he loves it. Also a great way of getting rid of hiccups which he still gets a lot.

A few of the things that go down well in our house for finger foods too-
Omelette or scrambled egg
Crumpets
Bread with soft cheese triangles
Cooked carrot and parsnip sticks
Quavers or skips (approx 1/3 of a bag)
Yorkshire puddings
Cucumber or pepper (great for sore gums)
Broccoli (tenderstem is easier for them to hold?
Very soft asparagus
Melon
Kiwi

Other than that he mainly has mashed up version of our food or the occasional jar. Wheatabix is great for filling them up and we put puree in our too sometiems for more flavour. Tried half a jacket potato with cheese and ham last week and that was a hit. He absolutely loves yoghurts. X

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lauramayne90
Back