Ibuprofen

Sleepy sue

Reaction score
Hi ladies

So I went to the docs today for the backache and hip pain. I reinforced the fact that I was 26 weeks pregnant but she still prescribed me ibuprofen gel, she said I couldn't have the tablets but the gel SHOULDN'T go into my blood stream she didn't say it didn't!!

I wasn't 100% convinced so came home to check the nhs direct site and it clearly states it shouldn't be taken during pregnancy!!!! As it can prolonged labour, actually delay labour and cause complications for the baby!!!

I'm going to phone my midwife tomorrow and put a complaint in.

Have you heard of anyone being able to use it? Xxx

---
- Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

my gynecologists colleagues give ibuprofen gel all time to pregnant ladies, to use a couple of times per day for max one week and after 20 weeks gestation.
i would use it.

my physio, GP, consultant and mw have all said iboprufen gel is safe for use during pregnancy in the second and early stages of third tri. I have been using it for months and months and I have had my scans etc and baby is fine. It soaks into your muscle not your blood system so does not pass to the baby in anyway. I have to say I haven't used it by my stomach though!!! lol. I use it for my arthritis on my back, hips, shoulders and knees. xxxxxxx

After I had Phoebe last week the midwife told me if I'm in any pain I can only take the kind of thing I would take during pregnancy so just paracetamol, this was because I was breast feeding, and I said "so no ibuprofen?" and she said no, I'm not allowed to take it, but I don't know if the gel is any different x

Last edited:
Doc told me I could have ibuprofen gel for my back too.

GEL is different to tablet form. Im allergic to aspirin which means im never allowed ibuprofen in table form, but the gel is different - because of the way its absorbed.

xxx

Yeah I heard the gel is fine to use after your so far along. I've used deep heat once when my back seized up!

Maybe double check with your midwife to be on the safe side and put your mind at rest!

Its the same with co-codemol though as well, I've been in agony with toothache/abscess and my back and my doc has told me if I am in that much pain I can use it but as a one off not all the time.

xx

Yeah I heard the gel is fine to use after your so far along. I've used deep heat once when my back seized up!

Maybe double check with your midwife to be on the safe side and put your mind at rest!

Its the same with co-codemol though as well, I've been in agony with toothache/abscess and my back and my doc has told me if I am in that much pain I can use it but as a one off not all the time.

xx
I've been on co-codamol for my back and yeah it kills the pain but it also kills your bowels and makes you constipated big time :(

[/QUOTE]
I've been on co-codamol for my back and yeah it kills the pain but it also kills your bowels and makes you constipated big time :([/QUOTE]

Yeah and that also lol! Forgot about that horrible part lol! :oooo: lol xxx

my mum was prescribed a natural gel for pain relief for arthritis in her back because she is highly allergic to anything but paracetomol.u could always ask for the natural gel if u are concerned about taking ibuprofen gel.i refused to use it when i was prescribed it for back pain cause im allergic to the tablet form so i dont see how it wouldnt react on my skin and in my tissues.

Thanks ladies :) I don't think I'm going to take it. I've bought a pregnancy support belt and that seems to be working while I wait for physio appointment xxxx

---
- Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

im allergic to the tablet form so i dont see how it wouldnt react on my skin and in my tissues.

The problem that most people have with ibuprofen in tablet form is due to the point in the digestive system that it is absorbed - the same thing that causes most "allergic" reactions to aspirin - which is why those allergic to asprin are recommended not to use ibuprofen. However a topical gel obviously isnt absorbed in the same way so the problem dosent exist with it. For the same reason that if you are in hospital and tell them you are allergic to ibuprofen or asprin they ask what ur symptoms as - cos if its an absorption problem - they will still recommend it in other forms such is intravenously.

zzz

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back