I need to start buying stuff

xkikix

Reaction score
Hi Girls.. Happy new year!

I havent bought a single baby item yet, i'm nearly 24 weeks! What would you advise getting first? I've started clearing out the spare room so I now have room to put bits. Have you girls bought nappies or anything? How many new baby size did you buy?

just by some basics first hun
baby grows/vests/sleepsuits/socks/hats and booties
ive only brought 1 pack of nappies so far only going to buy a couple more packs in newborn oh and buy quite a few packs of wipes when they are on offer :)
manda xx

I'm with you on this i'm 26 weeks and I haven't bought a single thing.

get to matalan girlies, ive had some right bargains from there including a pack of vests in a lovely design £1.75, pack of 3 lovely soft bibs £1.20, winnie the pooh outfit with matching hat £3.50, loads of stuff in the sale and im really pleased with the quality, weve bought stuff from next and marks & spencers and the matalan stuff is just as good :D

I did have a sneaky peak at the babygros in Asda at the weekend, they had 3 sets for £6 and they looked good quality. I dont know what my problem is, i just cant seem to force myself to buy anything as I'm such a panicer i dont want to temp fate. I really wind myself up.

Now is a great time to start buying theres some great bargains in the sales.

I think the most important things you will need for your baby in its first few months are:-
-Somewhere to sleep, you can use a carry cot that comes with a pram, moses basket, crib or a cot
-Pram/pushchair
-Car seat if you have a car
-5 or 6 baby grows
-Nappies
-Cotton wool (for wiping baby with when changing as skin very sensitive in first few weeks)
-Bottles, steraliser & formula if not breastfeeding
-Bibs

Cant think of any other essentials but im sure there must be more??

We have bought a few packs of size 1 and a few more size 2 nappies and I intend on buying size 3 from now on. From what I've read within the Ask a Mum section size 3 are the ones that Baby will be using most of.

We havent bought many clothes, just some baby grows and bibs. When my Sister had her baby last year most people bought clothers for my niece, some of them she didnt get to wear cause she'd grown out of them. So im hoping I get a few outfits bought as well. If I dont I will be proudly pushing my newborn on its first shopping trip!!

xkikix said:
I did have a sneaky peak at the babygros in Asda at the weekend, they had 3 sets for £6 and they looked good quality. I dont know what my problem is, i just cant seem to force myself to buy anything as I'm such a panicer i dont want to temp fate. I really wind myself up.

i was like that hun but then once id started buying i cudnt stop :lol:

BeckyJ said:
get to matalan girlies, ive had some right bargains from there including a pack of vests in a lovely design £1.75, pack of 3 lovely soft bibs £1.20, winnie the pooh outfit with matching hat £3.50, loads of stuff in the sale and im really pleased with the quality, weve bought stuff from next and marks & spencers and the matalan stuff is just as good :D

Hi girls :wave:

not sure about matalan, but next and tescos use the same manufacturers and then stick their own labels on them. so sometimes the more expensive items aren't "all that"!! havent been to matalan, but must remember to go before the sales end :D

I went to matalan the other day and the only stuff they had in the sale was pink or blue - thats ok if u know what u are having. I wanted neutral stuff :(

Tesco has some nice stuff and I got some bits in baby's r us too.

I've bought one pack of nappies - biodegradable ones from mothercare but I am planning to use resuable ones.

Also been getting wipes when they are on offer in the supermarket

i bought a few bits before my 20 weeks scan but then waited untill after and then went crazy on the spending after i found out its a boy lol... i have mainly bought clothes lil outfits, jumpers, snowsuit and body suits and stuff a few blankets... ive got the bouncer and moses basket aswell and my buggy is on its way :) oh and i got an extra car seat aswell but thats it i think next week im going to buy nappies and all the labour stuff i will need :)

Bee said:
I went to matalan the other day and the only stuff they had in the sale was pink or blue - thats ok if u know what u are having. I wanted neutral stuff :(

I've bought one pack of nappies - biodegradable ones from mothercare but I am planning to use resuable ones.

i had the same trouble with my local tesco, it was all pink or blue :?

like you i dont know what im having so have to stick to neutrals

BeckyJ said:
Bee said:

i had the same trouble with my local tesco, it was all pink or blue :?

like you i dont know what im having so have to stick to neutrals

crap isn't it?

Most places are like that - and the sales are all pink and blue stuff :(

Once you start you wont be able to stop i have got mainly clothes and the bigger stuff like the pram, cot, crib. Im hoping my nursery will be done in the next few weeks so i will strt getting all the smaller bits when i have somewhere to put it.

I bought a changing bag at around 12 weeks, and the travel system at 18 weeks cos they were on offer.
OH has banned me from buying anything else cos he doesn't want it lying around getting dusty, he wants to decorate first. I think the baby will be here before he gets around to decorating! :x

I am 25 weeks and haven't bought anything yet. We have just started to clear out the guest room this week in preparation for decorating.

Some of the pregnancy books I have are really good and give you a check list of everything you should try to have ready by the time baby comes. My only problem is what size vests and sleep suits to buy. Both my sister and my friend bought newborn things, then one of them had a 4llb baby and the other a 9lb 9oz baby, so the things they bought were obselete anyway. What are other people doing? Just buying New Born and crossing fingers?

I'm going to buy 0-3 months and see how they fit when baby arrives. If they are miles too big I will send OH to the supermarket to get some newborn stuff (or even smaller if needed!) then at least it will grow into the 0-3 months so it won't go to waste.

I'm worried if I buy newborn I'll end up having a 10lb'er :lol:
You can't tell how big baby will be until it arrives. Midwife told me to expect 7.5-8lb baby and James was born 5lb 15oz! The newborn stuff was big on him but I just rolled the sleeves up. I've known people whose babies have outgrown newborn in a couple weeks and wished they'd got 0-3 straight away

I have brought neutral newborn things for my hospital bag and i have a little girls outfit in newborn for my hospital bag and a pack of vests in newborn (pink).

Everything else is 0-3 or bigger if i need more newborn i will get oh to go and get some but i didnt want to buy to much incase its too small. Some of the newborn things i have seen are huge anyway.

All of the pink stuff i have was brought in the sales as well so i have only paid a small amount for it as theres still a chance she may be a he. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lauramayne90
Back