I have a few worries....

x.Lilly.x

Reaction score
right I have a few questions.
I will have a 20 month old and a newborn, and my 20 month old cant walk yet either.

1. what do you do with your toddler/newborn while your giving the other one a bath and do u bath them one after the other or at the same time?

2. while making dinner how do u keep an eye on them both, do u keep them in kitchen with you or what?

3. While feeding newborn (i will breastfeed) how do u amuse the older one?

4. this is the major issue i have, how do u put toddler to bed if your newborn is crying etc?
do u put the bigger one to bed first or the newborn?

just a few things that are scaring me lol

Sorry hun, i about to have my first, but i hope everything works out for you.
XxX

It's all about routine...make sure ur toddler is in a fairly good daytime/bathtime/bedtime routine. Then try and ensure ur newborn fits in with u (not the baby controlling).
Wen breastfeeding put a DVD on 4 ur toddler or sit and read a book with him,male sure he feels included and not pushed out.
I used to always bath my baby in the morning but either way let ur toddler help as much as he can,give him a sponge and let him help put water on her etc. Hopefully baby will sleep whilst it's toder bathtime,if not put her in a bouncer chair and sit her in the bathroom wiv u. Xxxx

Like the tip about bathing newbie in the morning - never even thought of that but will soooo be doing that when bubs no 2 arrives x x x

Thanks Emmab, deffo will be doing that, never though about bathing lil one in morning or letting my son help out either, but thats really good way to get him involved! thanks :)

1. what do you do with your toddler/newborn while your giving the other one a bath and do u bath them one after the other or at the same time?

^^ I AGREE MY OLDEST USE TO HELP OUT WHILE BATHING THEN THE YOUNGEST WOULD SIT WITH ME WHILE THE BIG ONE BATHED

2. while making dinner how do u keep an eye on them both, do u keep them in kitchen with you or what?

I USE TO PUT THEM BOTH IN THE ROOM WITH TOYS OR THE TV ON AN MAKE NEW BORN COMFORTABLE CHECKIN THEM EVERY 5MINS

HAHA THIS IS FUNNY MY OLDEST USE TO SIT WITH AN LOOK AMAZED SIT THEM BOTH WITH YOU! :)
WHEN I EXPRESSED MILK MY OLDEST USE TO TRY HELP WAIT TILL I TELL HIS GFS WHEN HE'S OLDER! LOL

4. this is the major issue i have, how do u put toddler to bed if your newborn is crying etc?

ITS ALL ABOUT ROUTINE AN IT INSTANTLY COMES TO YOU WITHOUT EVEN GIVING IT A THOUGHT!

Dont let anything scare you no1's born a mum it comes to you naturally! an this is why this gift is given to women NOT MEN cos they bloody useless at multi tasking etc.... you'll do it hunni an at times you'll surprise yourself! :) x good luck x

Heya its what ever suits you and it will come in time. My two girls are 3 years apart so a little different but I tried to involve my eldest as much as poss, She was at the birth and cut the cord etc, bit extreme some might say but I thought it was lovely, I used to put tv/dvd on and make sure the eldest had a snack and drink whilst I fed baby oh and would leave a potty downstairs. Hope that helps a bit and I havent ranted too long!!!
Tasha x

Just seen this! you know my situation's similar with the walking! i had a smaller age gap tho (1yr 17 days!) so there wasnt much K could do to help out!

at first i bathed K as normal, and as harsh as it sounds, if E work up, I'd just leave her in her bed/seat wherever even if she was crying. it does sound awful, but you've got to give the older one attention aswell, and baby will need to learn from an early age aswell that mummy needs to see to them both! i used to bath E when K was asleep!

when she could sit up for herself, i started to bath them together, but the she started crawling and pulling herself up and it got a bit dangerous, so i did start putting one in the playpen whilst i bathed the other! now i just chuck them in and let them do what they want :lol:

i lived with my parents til E was about 5/6 months and wasnt allowed to cook, but now i leave them in the living room, if needed the playpen gets put to use, if not they can roam free and i just pop my head round every few minutes - luckily my living room and kitchen are right next to eachother! for a while tho there was no way i could, cos they were just too clingy and it was fish fingers/nuggets and chips most nights :blush: my slow cooker is a godsend tho, i can just chuck everything in in the morning and then its ready for me when tey need feeding!

i only breastfed E for 2 days, but everyone said books etc, but K wouldnt have sat still long enough :lol: i used to put her in the travel cot i was using as a playpen and sit next to it and talk to her and sing her songs etc!

like before with the bathing, i left E if K needed putting to bed! the first few days or so, the older one will wakeup when they cry in the night, cos its a new noise, but within a week, K wasnt waking anymore! i did have some hairy nights to with 2 crying babies in the middle of the night tho and living with my parents and my sister who was in the middle of A level exams, it was a nightmare!!

i think the main thing is routine and preparing your older one! i made sure there were times i left katie for a little while when she was crying if i knew she was ok and just wanted attention! she needed to learn before E arrived that mummy couldnt drop everything for her, so she didnt think that it was all the baby's "fault"! i made good use of my playpen/travel cot so she got used to that too!

another thing i always did was put her in her cot every morning whilst i showered, even when there were people around to help, i needed her to know thats how it was going to be! that said, i did it with E right from when she was born and she's still not used to it :roll: i've given up and they go into the playpen now cos i'm sick of the crying!

i made sure i stuck to Ks routine as much as possible and E fitted in around it, i've always been a big fan of routine anyway and it really made things easier for me! before you know it, baby will establish their own little routine, and you should find that if you're working them round the older one, they'll naturally fall into a very similar routine!!

jesus i went on a tad :blush:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back