I gave her a dummy....

Rosieroo

Reaction score
Something I swore I wouldn't do due to my bad experience with them as a child (my stepdad burnt the teats off and I can still remember it!).

But today I relented and gave her one as she was screeching when I was trying to change her. It totally calmed her down. She had it after her feed today aswell as I knew she wasn't hungry still (She'd fed 4 times between 7.20am and 11.30am), she napped with it for a bit, then it fell out of her mouth and wedged under her face and woke her up. I took it off of her and she's gone back to sleep.

I was worried that she wouldn't feed aswell with it, but I will still feed on demand and will only give it to her when its time for a sleep and she's crying. I don't want her to have it when she's happy.

Felt really guilty!

I sucumbed to the dummy as well Rosie, really didn't want to but she was just on the boob constantly and it was getting me down. However she doesn't take it that much, especially fro me but I guess that's because she knows I will let her use me as a dummy. However it can be a godsend, and believe me if Ella is hungrey the dummy won't do at all so don't worry about that. Its just good to have there if they are grizzly and everything else is ok with them x

Same here, something I didnt want to do, but I gave in as ella is a sucky baby. I felt really bad when the midwife visited, I said I wasn't really sure about giving her a dummy and she said oooh I dont see any problem with them atall, which was reassuring. Plus if it comforts them then I dont see why not.

i think its fine to give them a dummy. its nice as a comfort for them when there lil babies, Dior is one now and iv stopped letting her have it in the day, she just has it for bed x x

they encouraged me to give hannah a dummy in scbu because it gets them to suck so they can't be that bad

Both my two had dummys and now at aged 4 and 6 they don't have anything which is great and there is nothing wrong with their teeth or speech - when they were 3/4 we left them out for santa as you get an extra present for leaving out dummies!!!

I think its much better than thumb sucking - you can't take a thumb / finger away.......I was about 13 when I was still sucking my thumb when I went to bed - yuk!!

I have got dummies ready for the next one too. Again I will only use them if I need them but would rather they had a dummy than thumb.

Rosieroo...
Don't feel guilty!!! I bought dummies (avent) before he was even born..... but this little begger won't take it!!! Spits it out with an expression of disgust!! So, feel pleased with yourself - you're giving yourself a well deserved break!!!!!
No bad feelings!!!!!
|Emilia xx

I have given Rubie one too when she is unsettled and at first I felt guilty but I don't now. If she is miserable and crying without it and happy and contented with it, what's the harm?

She only has it as a last resort though and definately wont be sucking on it this time next year.

Isaac has a dummy at night. (I swore he wouldnt when I was pregnant)

There was a thing on the news remember a while back saying that a dummy reduces the risk of sudden infant syndrome by 90%!

I asked a midwife about it at the hospital and she said she wasnt sure about the research that had gone into it but said it does help keep a babies airway open when they sleep which is a good thing.

Isaac only has his for bed bless him. I think he looks forward to it!

Lou :)

I used to hate dummies but have to admit that we have used one on Samuel sometimes when he just won't settle and I am convinced he has had enough milk.

Don't feel guilty babe. If it stops you going insane then its absolutely fine to do whatever works for you.

I personally think that breastfed babies need a dummy now and then as they just don't seem to settle as well as formula babies and we need our sanity!

I've definately come round to the idea of using it now, she settles with it really well. I don't give it to her very often as its still good for her to have a cry, but if she's overtired and I know she's just using me as a dummy and for comfort then I will use it.

Glad that some of us are in the same boat :D It really helps!

Sorry - replying a little late for the post. I resorted to a dummy as well for the simple reason that she was feeding every 1-2 hours and eventually I gave in. After I gave her a dummy, I realised she didn't need to feed, just needed to suck. But I beat myself up over it for 3 months and vowed to wean her off it before she reached 4 months. But then I realised the only reason I feel bad about giving her a dummy is because I feel so judged by other people, like I'm a bad mum, and I know I'm not - she's everything to me and always my number one priority. I know how much a dummy soothes her, and taking it away now would be for me and not her - it seems a bit cruel, so I've decided to let her keep one until she's a little older. I hate to see babies always with a dummy, but I think there are circumstances when it's good to use one and you know when that time is right.

I think part of the reason we object to them is because we call them 'dummies'. If we called them 'soothers' which is what they are now called in shops, and is really what they are designed to do, then people wouldn't associate them with negatives all the time.

LBxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back