I duno what to do! *Update on Page 2* HELP! :(

LouiseH

Reaction score
Basically over the past 4 days (Since Friday) my little princess has done nothing but scream the place down, till she's red in the face and teary eyed! And each time I go throughj the usual..

- See if she needs a feed.
- Wind/Burp her.
- Try rocking her to sleep.
- Change her nappy.
- Sing to her.
- Change her vest if its a bit damp from feed (She's a dribbler when feeding so sometimes goes through the bib lol!)
- Completely stripped her to nappy cayse its too hot.
- Walk about with her.
- Push her in her pram.
- Take her out in her pram.
- Put her in her bouncer on vibrate.
- Tried in her cot with mobile on.
- Stroked her hair & cheek.
- Showed her the black & white shapes picture book.
- Read to her.

But nothing helps :( And today I've ended up crying too!!
She's 2 weeks and 5 days old.

I went to my Dads on Saturday, and I was telling them that she'd had an uneasy night on Friday. And my Auntie turned around with 'Aw its cause you haven't got a clue what your doing or how to be a Mam, and she can sense that and she's scared!'
So now I feel like its my doing that she's so upset :( And I feel even worse! (I'm not actually that close to my Dads side of the family any more - See them about once every month or so. And this trip to my Dads was the first time they had all met my daughter. I'm close to my Dad and step mam though and they see us every weekend).

Any ideas? Any advice? Please :( x

Last edited:
Awe lovey don't you worry about what your aunt said. You're a lovely mummy, obviously, due to your concern.

Firstly congratualtions on your lovely little bundle. :dance: There could be a number of reasons she's crying. you are doing lots of lovely things with her, but maybe some of the things could be over stimulating her, especially if you're doing them all in one go. 2 week old babies like to sleep (usually, lol), is she sleeping much? How are you feeding, bf or formula? It could be wind causing her some discomfort, have you tried infacol before each feed?

Of course sometimes babies just like to cry. Have you tried lots of skin to skin, that could help, strip both of you off and snuggle up.x

I was expressing & topping up with formula, but now just formula. She's barely sleeping at all :( Me & my poor OH are so tired! I feel so bad on him as he's gotta go to work after being up all night. Whereas normally I do the night feeds, etc. While he sleeps, cause she normally settles quickly. But at the moment she's barely sleeping through the night and just cries her eyes out :( Its awful!
Can you use infacol with her being so young?
Although normally she burps and pumps like a man with no issues lol. But it deffo seems to be something, so maybe infacol would be worth a try.

Also, I don't feel like she feeds with any sort of regularity? She can sometimes do a feed and sleep 3/4 hours, and other times its 20mins and then she wants another feed. She can take anything from 1.5oz to 5.5oz per feed! And as I was told to feed on demand sometimes it feels like she goes the full day feeding.. 1/2 oz every hour! :(

Louise, don't take this as gospel but it sounds a little like silent reflux? Does she cry when lay her flat on her back? Is she arching her back as if in pain? It's just u saying that she takes little and often regards her food. This is what jack was doing as well as continuously crying and only sleeping for very short amounts of time. It may be worth going to the doctors as they can give u gaviscon to go in her milk. After 2 feeds jack slept for 6 hours solid. I hasten to add that he was fine when he was in Scbu, he was then home for a week before he started showing symptoms and then it was just overnight it happened. I do so sympathise with u as I didn't realise what it was and had a week of sleepless nights. Big hugs Hun xxxx pm me if u want to talk xxx

Last edited:
Is she crying constantly or at particular times of day? Will feeding settle her usually?

Have you tried a dummy at all? I was dead against dummies, but as soon as I gave my son one for naps and sleeps he's a different baby. If she's only having a little feed at a time it could be she's taking the bottle for comfort and something to suck.

I'm guna speak with my HV and see if she thinks it could be reflux, as she does arch her back and throw her head back when you try to wind or comfort her.

We've tried dummies, but she sucks for a few seconds, realises nothing is coming out and spits it lol. I'm guna keep trying with it just for naps & bed to see if it'll help her settle.

xxx

That sounds exactly like my Harry was and he had colic. His started at 2 weeks and ended at 7 weeks so we had it pretty easy but it was hell on earth every day!!!

We tried everything and the only thing that worked was Dr Browns anti colic bottles an putting infacol into every single feed. Actually put it in the bottle withthe milk. I then winded him very vigorously (obviously not hard enough to hurt him). He has also been a tummy sleeper since he was 2 weeks old as that was the onpy way he was comfy to sleep. I am not for a minute telling you to put our LO to sleep on her tummy to beause thats a very personal decision but maybe while she's awake lay her across your lap on her tummy and see if she finds it comfy. I also fed Harry little and often because they drink to relieve the colic.

I'm not saying these things will defo work for your LO but it's what worked for Harry so maybe give it a go xx

P.S We tried every dummy there is and finally discovered he likes the cheapest dummies! The ones with the big ugly brown teats! I hate them but he loves them so that's all that matteres lol x

It sounds like colic to me. It's exactly what Amelie did and I cried with her almost every day...

A warm bath and infacol did wonders for us.
She has infacol from day 7 actually as she had terrible colic and trapped wind.
Good news is that about 40 days after birth colic calms down a little to completely disappear usually after the 3 m mark.
I would book an appointment with the gp to see if he thinks its reflux (though most of newborns have reflux so try usually don't so much about it as they outgrow it eventually unless its really bad)
Hang in there the first weeks are horrendous. At around 4 weeks things steadily start becoming easier.

P.S We tried every dummy there is and finally discovered he likes the cheapest dummies! The ones with the big ugly brown teats! I hate them but he loves them so that's all that matteres lol x

Yup my lad was the same! Bought him posh dummies that massaged the gums when teething, he hated them! But he loves tommee tippee cherry dummies! Even if I buy other similar ones, he knows when they're not tommee tippee and spits them out!

I'm guna google 'colic' and 'reflux' and have a proper read up. Cause if I'm being completely honest. I'm not 100% sure what they are, or do. Which probs makes me sound really bad :(

It doesn't make you sound bad at all, this is all a learning curve for us first timers!

My LO is a crier too so I feel your pain. Read up hun and then take her to your GP. xx

Don't feel bad and as tinks said we r all first time mums. I leant about silent reflux from this forum actually! I'd never heard of it in babies!! And as for learning I think I learn something new about babies and being a mummy every day xxx

Last edited:

Yup my lad was the same! Bought him posh dummies that massaged the gums when teething, he hated them! But he loves tommee tippee cherry dummies! Even if I buy other similar ones, he knows when they're not tommee tippee and spits them out!

The 2 for £1 ones? They're so ugly but he loves them. Jack on the other hand will only have posh Mam ones lol x

When w was a baby he only liked the Tommee Tippee cherry ones too!! Spat the rest straight out.. Dummies should be called sanity savers haha xz

The 2 for £1 ones? They're so ugly but he loves them. Jack on the other hand will only have posh Mam ones lol x

Dunno how much they are to be honest, but they look like something my mum would'e given me! The only problem is they have a handle on them that wee man has learnt to grab hold of and pull dummy out!

Awwww louise I really feel for you ryan had 4 really awful nights in a row he cried so much he even lost his wee voice, it broke my heart. we tried all the things you did even changed the brand of nappies we were using, we were distraught he was only 4 days old when it started, I cried every night and was on the verge of tears every day it really knocked my confidence and even now when he cries im afraid its hoing to start again, we went to the gp who said he had colic, we started using mam and dr brown bottles which are anti colic and cow and gate comfort formula, we had started using colief and have now changed to infacol, hes now 4 weeks so stsrted using gripe water too, at around 3 weeks he started vomiting we took him to gp again and they said he had reflux started on gaviscon, not working so changed to carobel, so far a lot more settled, this us new to all of us and those first few nights I caught myself wondering if I should be a mum since I obviously dont know what im doing but you start to learn, you are a fab mum im sure, I used to feel dread when we got to the evening cos hed normally start aftervhis 8pm feed and cry til 4am, I didnt want any visitors, and I hated people saying to me hand him iver to me and ill stop him crying for you it made me feel even worse, then my mum in law said he was just a winger, well I wanted to punch her in the face at that point lol, were all going through it I know its hard but there will be an end point to it all xx

Ok so.. We got her some new dummies with a different shape teat and she takes them. Been great over the past few days. But still won't sleep flat and cries the place down. Had an app on Friday at the docs cause HV said it sounded like reflus/silent reflus. Docs rang me that morning, app canceled. Cauuse doc I was seeing was the on call and had an emergency. So morning apps moved to afternoon and afternoon canceled and needed rescheduelled for another day (I was 13:05 so canceled - Earliest I can get now is Wed so booked in for then!!) So anyway now LO is still sleeping in her bouncer.. But tilted back to lyng position, but its on an angle so isn't quite flat! (Not the best but all I can do so she at least gets sleep through the night till I know what it is!) But anyway today, trying her in moses basket again through the day for naps.. Falls asleep on me.. Lie her down and then screams the place down! Not just screams.. Screams with actual tears! :( Its heart breaking!
I've tried just leaving her to cry for a few mins to see if she'll settle but no :( She just gets more and more fraught and tearful!! Its worse then last week :(
What can I do? :(

Oh... Also used infacol to help with her wind as sometimes she's very reluctant to part with it! X

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back