I don't actually know what I'm doing

pinkyprincess

Reaction score
Tyler 'seems' to be feeding ok. He hasn't been weighed in a couple of weeks but looks like he's gaining. His feeding is all over the place sometimes he only goes for 5 mins and just falls asleep (and you just can't keep him awake but once he's asleep I don't like to wake him) then others he'll be on for hours seem to be asleep but suckling occasionally and when I move away he wakes up and starts sucking again. He generally goes an hour between feeds and rarely 2 or 3 (apart from night when it it generally 2 or 3) he's had the occasional green poo, which I understand is because of lack of hind milk, but he had one yesterday and today which is more frequent than normal and OHs panicked which has made me cast doubt! All the rest of his poos have been normal!

You sound like you're doing fine hun. BF babies make their own rules and routines.

Oz was exactly the same as your LO. Sometimes wouldn't wake to feed and other times wouldnt' get off me for hours. Alot of the time he used to comfort suck and I just used to let him. We would sit for hours sometimes and I'd watch films etc and just enjoy that closeness with him.

Just make sure that whatever boob you finish on last time, start on that boob next time then when LO seems to be losing interest in that boob put him on the other side and then repeat that process. That way you know that each boob is defo getting drained regularly.

It should only take about 10ish mins for baby to get to hind milk, but if he's not really feeding and just comfort sucking and then sides are swapped that mgiht be why he misses the hind milk sometimes.

You sound like you're doing absolutely fine though, just trust your instincts and don't let anybody make you doubt yourself. In a few more months you will be so confident with BFing it won't be an issue. You and baby are still getting in tune with each other atm. This is all new to him too xxxx

Dylan is the same when feeding I was getting really fixated on how long he fed for. He's now more settled and does feed usually for about 15 minutes, although did feed for about an hour and a half the other day which he hasn't done before! I wasn't really prepared for it! You sound like your doing a great job x

Sounds like your doing great. He will settle down a bit into a more regular pattern and the suckling is good for your milk supply and for him to feel close. I often move Kynon chin of cheek to wake him and remind him to feed, i still do this a lot now on the evening and night feeds. Little boys can be so greedy, I've spent hours sitting feeding either watching tv or on here! As for the poo colour it can change from what you have eaten and i also noticed it changes when they have their jabs!

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

I'm worried now he's had another green poo this morning. Could he be ill?

Does he seem ok otherwise? Kynon also had green poo when he had a cold. If he's ok it's probably just something you have been eating

Does he seem ok otherwise? Kynon also had green poo when he had a cold. If he's ok it's probably just something you have been eating

He's done another and it seemed normal?! Confused now!
Think he's behaving normally, what difference would I see?

We get green poo's if I've had spicy food or if he is quite windy, or if he hasn't slept as much, we get 3or 4 of them a week but he seems fine so I tend not to worry, I worry more if he doesn't poo!

Maybe try giving him an extra wind after his feeds as he might have some trapped?

You'd know if baby wasn't right cos they would maybe feel warmer than usual or cry more or have a different cry to normal, or become lethargic & listless, or won't sleep or settle, basically anything that is out of their normal routine. If I suspect N isnt right I check his temp, maybe give a dose of calpol and a feed and monitor him for a bit and if he's no better I'd call nhs direct, I don't tend to monitor poo colour in these situations, maybe I should?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back