I couldn't hear my babies heartbeat!

nicki

Reaction score
Hi All,

I've just got the doppler I ordered off ebay and even tho. the batteries not fully charged yet couldn't resist but have a go, but I couldn't detect the heartbeat. DH told me not to do it yet (i haven't got any gel yet either!! gettting it tomorrow) coz we may not be able to hear it and i'd only worry, I told him I wouldn't worry but now I am, oops :lol:
Has anyone else used them and have any tips on finding the heartbeat. I heard my heart fine, but I did find out that my hubby and the dog don't have beating hearts (Have I married an alien? :shock: )

Also do most people normally see the midwife around 17weeks, I think thats what mine said but can't remember, and is that just for a check up?

Thanks for you help.

Nicki.x :D

Hi there
Don't worry too much just yet! I don't know what type of doppler you bought, but I do know that most of the dopplers only pick up baby's heartbeat successfully from 24 weeks onwards. It should tell you on the packaging, but that could also depend on how the baby is lying etc. Don't despair!!
I think the dopplers are great, but I've decided not to buy one as we can get so bloom'in worried when we don't hear our baby's heartbeat. Even my midwife has struggled to find my baby's heartbeat at times - but now 31 weeks and growing just great!
Don't worry, hey!!!! :wink:
Emilia xx

My midwife told me not to worry too much about heatbeat. She said sometimes its really difficult to detect because when midwives listen they do it through the baby's shoulder.

she also said that the best sign that your baby is healthy is by movement etc.

So even though it's nice to listen - don't panic if you can't find the heatbeat!!

i got one of them of the net and the thing was crap a total waste ov money i didnt end up picking up my daughters heart beat till 30weeks!!!!

what kind of doppler is it?
I brought one and it was rubbish, said you could hear the heartbeat from 12 weeks, but at 26 i still cant hear it!!

I rented one in the end from mybump.com, it picked up the baby at 13 weeks very clear, so i would recomend them

Thanks girls,

The doppler I bought was a BF-500 MATERNITY DOPPLER FETAL HEART RATE MONITOR.
I know it may be hard sometimes to find a heartbeat and i'm just hoping at the mo. it's coz I haven't used it with the gel or the baby is facing the wrong way or something. My next scan isn't until 19th Dec which seems so far away and I just wanted some reassurance that everything is ok, i'm feeling really down at the mo. I was so looking forward to hearing it.
Fingers crossed that I will tomorrow!

Nicki. :(

Nicki...
If you're feeling a bitty blue just now with the added worry of not hearing your baby's heartbeat, take yourself down to your surgery and ask the nurse on duty to listen through her device. You really musn't worry - remember - we're all very delicate in the early weeks of pregnancy and our hormones can stir quite a storm. You'll be just fine and if you need a moan or a chat - all the girls on here are great with good advice!
Chin up!!!! :wink:
Emilia xx

I hired one from baby beats and heard the heartbeat at 13weeks onwards but even now if the battery is low or you dont use enough gel then you wont pick anything up try again tomorrow with a fully working battery and gel and take your time as its not easy to pick up 1st time round especially if you dont know what your listening for as you often pick up the placenta or umbilical cord noises. And some advice is to place it really low down just above your pubic bone, thats where mine was in the early weeks. Good luck x

Just as everyone else says - really don't worry. My GP tried to find my baby's heartbeat at 18 weeks and she couldn't find it. I was mortified, But she said it was the 'equipment'! Fortunately I'd just moved into the area and had a 'booking in appointment' a few days later with the midwife who was able to reassure me everything was OK.

LBxx

Nikki

Please dont worry because the Midwife couldnt even pick my babys heartbeat up until 17 weeks. Its very dependant on how your baby is lying. If they are lying into your back then a very experienced midwife who has trained for years would not even find it, never mind us mums. Try very low down around the Bikini line, this is where she eventually found mine after another attempt the following week. Even when i was 30 weeks Plus they still struggle to find it sometimes but I know everything is ok, as the midwife gets a hefty kick lol

:0) Take care now x
Ragna x

Thanks alot everyone for the replies,

I feel a bit better now i've had a sob into my pillow (blooming hormones!) We tried again for ages a little while ago with still no luck, so i'm hoping the gel will work tomorrow.
It has reassured me that some of your midwives have had troubles finding the heartbeats, at my 12 weeks appointment with mine she said it's probably because the baby was too low down to detect it, so I thought that nearly 3 weeks on it would've rised up enough for me to hear it. It doesn't help that i'm impatient!!

Think i'll go to bed and hope the disappointment has gone by the morning!

Thanks again.

Nicki.x :(

Thanks alot everyone for the replies,

I feel a bit better now i've had a sob into my pillow (blooming hormones!) We tried again for ages a little while ago with still no luck, so i'm hoping the gel will work tomorrow.
It has reassured me that some of your midwives have had troubles finding the heartbeats, at my 12 weeks appointment with mine she said it's probably because the baby was too low down to detect it, so I thought that nearly 3 weeks on it would've rised up enough for me to hear it. It doesn't help that i'm impatient!!

Think i'll go to bed and hope the disappointment has gone by the morning!

Thanks again.

Nicki.x :(

awww hun sorry your feeling so low try not to worry too much if your not able to hear it like others have said some midwives have trouble too
keep your chin up and remember we are all here if you need to talk im sure weve all had a good cry recently i spend half my time crying lately hormones have a lot to answer for :evil:
take it easy hun xxxxx

Aw thanks Rach,

I do feel better about it this morning. The gel I ordered arrived earlier and have tried it again, my god the difference a bit of gel makes! still didn't hear the heart mind but I heard the whoosing of the placenta (i think) which made me feel better knowing thats still alive!! so when DH gets home from work this afternoon he can have a go and see if we can find our little one.

How you doing at the mo?

Nicki.xx :D

Hi everyone,

Just a quickie to say that after playing hide and seek for quite sometime we finally found mini (by the way that's what we call our little one!! yes we are odd :lol: )
Very happy and pleased we did find it. Mini has 139 heart beats per min.!!

Thanks everyone.

Nicki.x :D :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back