I am starting to worry

ISH

Reaction score
My baby must be eating too much, I spend all day pumping (BF hurts too much) and worrying I won't be able to keep up with his milk intake! I really want to keep feeding him breast milk, but I keep dreading the day he'll be crying for more and I'll have none left :(

He is only a month and a week old and he's started to take as much as 200 ml. Can any of the ladies with babies of similar ages shed any light, how much do your babies take in one go?

I think Jack took about the same at the same age... I gave him some bottles of breast milk back then...I'm afraid I can't tell you what he takes now as I just breastfeed as I found it easier then pumping.
I unfortunately have to return to work full time within the next month so I am going to start pumping again, I'm hoping my milk supply will be the same. I shall keep you up to date with how much I'm able to pump if you like. I don't plan to ween him until 6 months and I really want to give only breast milk if I can

Sorry I can't help any more x

It's the suckling that helps your milk supply keep up. Does he go on at all?

And how much does he weigh? X
He's 10 lb 9 oz x

I think my main concern is, because I express instead of BF, milk production might be lower? Even though I pump every 2 h, including at night (fun, I know)

It's the suckling that helps your milk supply keep up. Does he go on at all?
He does every day, but I can't do much of it, it just hurts too much. And he stays on just nuzzling for ages, which hurts even more!

Gosh! Naughty V!! Can you not stick sponges to his lips??

Have u spoken to your midwife?

I spoke to everyone and got a BF consultant too, she said everything I was doing was right position wise, etc, but you can't force the baby to open his mouth wide if he doesn't want to. Vince likes to do a small mouth when he suckles. And that bloody hurts!

Bless him!

What do you want to do? What will make you both happiest?! There's no point going through all this if your not happy.

Bf hurt for me even with the right latch etc. I had to even take a shower in a bra. It got better but it took a long time for nipples to adjust. hugs

sent from my Galaxy s2

Bless him!

What do you want to do? What will make you both happiest?! There's no point going through all this if your not happy.
I'm very happy expressing, just worrying a bit I might not be able to keep up. It seems all fine now. I put him on the breast too, just can't do it too often or it starts to be really uncomfortable.

Tbh, my OH keeps going on that we're overfeeding him and makes me paranoid - he might be perfectly normal! He seems a bit greedy and makes piggy noises when he feeds, but he takes after both of us, LOL. We like our food!

I was told you cant overfeed a baby.
Wiyh pumping though i think most ladies find it diminishes supply at some point but maybe if you are putting him on as well it helps?
When they get older, they get more efficient as well. Good luck hun.

sent from my Galaxy s2

im pretty sure you cant overfeed him hon.

also keep trying to put him on as much as poss.

Owen had a very small mouth and thats what hurt me. it got better at 6 weeks. maybe vince will hopefully learn to open his mouth more? and ina few weeks time you can do less expressing.

I cant believe your expressing every 2 hours at night, omg! that must be tough, well done you xx

If baby is only going on once a day and briefly your supply will diminish to just cope with this feed eventually.

A pump can't sustain supply as it cannot mimic a babys suck and also because it doesn't have the babys saliva, which is what sends the message to your body about how much is needed and what it baby needs from it. Babys saliva will ask for antibodies if fighting a cold etc, pumps can't do that so you body will only react to baby on teh boob!

xxxxx

Lily was the same no matter what I done she only sucked the nipple part no areola went in her mouth.. They all say baby needs a huge mouthful but she couldn't.. She's tongue tied which doesn't help.. Have you checked for that? Nipple shields really helped me and she's been feeding painlessly for over a month now.. She gets more in as she gets bigger but not the amount u see in the photos ect! She's even worn down the colour around my nipple lol it's almost skin coloured!
I hope things get better for u soon hun x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back