I am seriously considering reusable Nappies

You don't have to do any poo-scraping. Breast milk poo is water soluble, so you just toss them in the washer, poo and all. Other poos are usually firm enough to shake off into the potty.

I cloth diapered for two combined years and never once had to spray or scrape a poo.

Also, you don't have to change cloth right away. Quite the opposite. If you're using fleece, the skin stays dry so they are prerfect for overnight or several hours. Cotton is another story, but fleece is amazing.

Disposable on the other hand should be changed quicker because they are wet to the touch.

Last edited:
I don't know much about bamboo - is it generally ok for sensitive skin/eczema? It seems to come out top for absorbency... but do they take a long time to dry out after washing?

No, I love bamboo nappies.

I wrote a long reply yesterday and then the site came back with a database error message when I hit submit! So of course the whole thing was lost.

I have 5 little lamb bamboo nappies, bamboo is grown more or less organically and are lovely and soft - very silky feeling.
http://www.fill-your-pants.com/fitted-nappies/little-lamb-bamboo-nappy-bundle-deal.html this is a good deal for them, this is where I got mine.
Also bamboo is supposed to be naturally antibacterial.

I also have 6 Bummis prefolds in organic cotton for the meconium poo as I'm doing cloth from day 1. And 3 Newborn Grovia nappies as well. Then I do have some left over from my daughter, but they are in the loft.
I had loads but when I moved last year I donated most of them to charity and only kept a small selection of the best/most useful items (a few outer wraps and a few of the nicer cloth nappies). At some point I need to get them down though as I can't really remember what I kept.

There's also a local nappy library I will use for extras, and the local council do a 'free trial kit' which I think consists of a nappy bucket (with lid), pack of paper liners, and three nappies. So I'll send off for that too soon.

Last edited:
Thanks! Yes - I spotted the leeds council offer, will be making use of it!

I'm under Bradford Council and their trial kit was done by BEAT so I'm not sure if Leeds offer the same or a slightly different thing? But most councils these days do have a cloth nappy incentive scheme. Some areas offer free nappies and accessories, others give you a voucher to spend on buying your own or offer a free or reduced price laundry or nappy loan service. It varies from place to place. But it's worth everyone checking with their local council to see what's on offer :)

For leeds, it's a trial pack of 3 brands, or a £30 cash back on proof of purchase. Definitely worth checking whatever area you're in!

I wonder if my area has anything like this to offer council wise? How do I find out? I am seeing midwife tomorrow so might mention it to her xx

If you do a google search with the words "cloth nappy incentive scheme" and your nearest town or city, you should find something. Otherwise check your council website or ask your midwife :)

Our local authority doesn't have one :-( xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back