I’m back (4 years later!) with baby number 3 due and I have a question....

Tiggy30

Reaction score
When I conceived with my first child I became a member of pregnancy forum 4 years ago and my goodness the amount of valuable information that helped me through my pregnancy and after was unbelievable! When my son turned 6 months or so I guess Pregnancy forum faded out of my life a little as I fell pregnant with my 2nd child and from then on it’s been a crazy rollercoaster with little time to myself.
I am now back again after 4 years due with baby number 3 and thought I would join the ladies once again in our journey through pregnancy and hope to make some lovely friends as I did last time.
I do have a little question though if you don’t mind about midwifes.....
With my first 2 children, the moment I told the doctor I was pregnant I would go for a dating scan or if I knew how far I was then the 12 week scan would be booked and the midwife would come round and introduce herself around the 8 week pregnant mark.
Well....my family and I have just moved to near Guildford in a little village and I registered with our doctors and told the receptionist I believe I’m around 8 weeks pregnant however as my periods were so irregular I wasn’t 100% sure (I miscarried a few months ago and my periods were all over the place) instead of the receptionist asking for me to make an appointment with the doctor or midwife she just said come back when you 11 weeks pregnant as a midwife won’t see you before then due to not being able to take blood tests before this time and a doctor won’t see me as its the midwifes responsibility.
Not sure what to make of this as firstly, I only “think” I’m around 8 weeks pregnant as my periods went funny since I miscarried and I am having some light brown bleeding which I am not alarmed about as such but my 2 children were premature and my pregnancies have not been the easiest. I told the receptionist that I felt that for the well being of myself and baby I needed to speak to a midwife perhaps a little earlier than 11 weeks but the receptionist wouldn’t budge.
Have things changed over 4 years??? When is everyone else booked in with their midwife??
T xx

Instead of calling my doctor I went into my local surestart centre and they have the midwifey number at your local hospital hun. I called that and it all went from there really. I never bothered with doctors only drags the whole thing out.

As for the blood call hospital or EPU or go to A + E at the hospital and spread your concerns they should offer you an scan hunny x

Instead of calling my doctor I went into my local surestart centre and they have the midwifey number at your local hospital hun. I called that and it all went from there really. I never bothered with doctors only drags the whole thing out.

As for the blood call hospital or EPU or go to A + E at the hospital and spread your concerns they should offer you an scan hunny x

Thank you - I think I may join you on the same route, its the first time ive had to do it this way but feel that im not going to get "heard" at my new doctors :roll: x

Hi Tiggy, welcome back to pf and tri1 and congrats too.

I've learnt on here that all areas are different.

I'm in Suffolk, and in my town the doctors aren't interested in your pregnancy, you have to make an appointment with a midwife for when you are approximately 8 weeks, she will then send off a request for your 12 week scan and you have to wait for the date in the post. At the 8 week booking in she will also take your bloods and you will then either get results in the post or she will confirm all ok at your next appointment with her, which is at 16 weeks.

Alot of ladies on here though haven't seen a midwife until quite late I believe.

Every area in UK is different, not sure why, but they defo are.

Alot of ladies on here have paid for private scans before their 12 week scan too.

Congrats again xxxx

Hi Tiggy, welcome back to pf and tri1 and congrats too.

I've learnt on here that all areas are different.

I'm in Suffolk, and in my town the doctors aren't interested in your pregnancy, you have to make an appointment with a midwife for when you are approximately 8 weeks, she will then send off a request for your 12 week scan and you have to wait for the date in the post. At the 8 week booking in she will also take your bloods and you will then either get results in the post or she will confirm all ok at your next appointment with her, which is at 16 weeks.

Alot of ladies on here though haven't seen a midwife until quite late I believe.

Every area in UK is different, not sure why, but they defo are.

Alot of ladies on here have paid for private scans before their 12 week scan too.

Congrats again xxxx

Thanks hunny, It does seem very different up here and to be honest I was a little shocked that the receptionist still wouldnt budge after telling her of my complications! So....Im defo going to speak with the hospital, perhaps call epac and speak to someone there and take it from there. Im going to have to make the call initially rather than go in as ive got my 2 little ones with me pretty much all the time and they can be a handful lol my hubby works part time so the other option is to pop to the hospital and speak with someone when he gets home from work today.

I would love to have a private scan, I had one with my first pregnancy and it cost £120 ive just looked at my nearset early scan package 4d and its £175!!!! money is a little tight at the mo due to moving but hopefully I can get some pennies together after christmas :)

Thanks again xxx

I didn't see a midwife until my 12 week scan but when I found out i was pregnant I made an appointment with the doc and she notified the hospital so that I got an appointment at 12 weeks. It's different everywhere but I imagine not seeing a midwife until 11 weeks is strange if they haven't even notified hospital for your 12 week scan x

Hello and congratulations on your bfp! :yay:

This all sounds really unreasonable, especially as you're having some spotting. Could you perhaps speak to a gp and explain your concerns? They may be able to refer you to the epau to investigate the spotting.

I wish you lots of luck with this and a very happy and healthy pregnancy!

xx

Oh sorry tiggy, I totally missed you saying you are having brown spotting. In that case defo get touch with epu, can't believe your doctors are so blase about it. Best wishes to you hun xxxx

I didn't see a midwife until my 12 week scan but when I found out i was pregnant I made an appointment with the doc and she notified the hospital so that I got an appointment at 12 weeks. It's different everywhere but I imagine not seeing a midwife until 11 weeks is strange if they haven't even notified hospital for your 12 week scan x

Thats what I thought. From memory an NHS 12 week scan appoitment comes through the post confirming a date approx 4 weeks after the midwife/doctor asks for it so if she sees me at 11 weeks I would get a scan at appox 15 weeks! :shock:

Plus, due to the miss carriage I had a few months ago I cant be sure I am 8 weeks! I could be 4 weeks or I could be 12 weeks already. My periods after the mc have either not happened at all or have been very random and I havnt kept track. So I think a dating scan would be a good place to start?

xx

Oh sorry tiggy, I totally missed you saying you are having brown spotting. In that case defo get touch with epu, can't believe your doctors are so blase about it. Best wishes to you hun xxxx

Im not yet that alarmed hunny as its only a small amount when I wipe and its brown in colour. When I was pregnant with my first child I bled from 9 weeks until 23 weeks :shock: sometimes bright red, sometimes brown, I was once told Id miss carried due to the emount id lost but they still gave me a scan to confirm it and there was his tiny heart beat :) my son was a prem baby 4 weeks early.

I was told not to worry so much about the brown light bleeding in my 1st pregnancy so I guess I am just using my past experience to monitor it at the moment. As soon as I see any change though its off to hospital I go.

xxx

I know they don't ever seem to be alarmed about brown blood, but I think with your recent miscarriage and random peroids they should be taking more of an interest. I know there isn't much they can do to help in early pregnancy anyway, but still the lack of concern is just disgraceful really.

Let us know how you get on hun. xxxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lauramayne90
Back