Hypnobirthing

YorksLass

Reaction score
First off, just lmao as my tablet tried to change the title to 'bullfighting' instead of 'hypnobirthing'...
I know nothing about hypnobirthing and what it entails, but I keep hearing it mentioned. I take it it's a sort of self hypnosis type thing during labour? I was wondering if anybody has any advice or can recommend books or dvds/cds about it? I can't afford any taught courses or anything unfortunately.
I'm just over 28 weeks now, am I too late starting something like that anyway?
Cheers me dears! Any advice appreciated. ;-)

Last week I bought "Effective Birth Preparation by Maggie Howell" by recommendation from the ladies on here. It was £3 on eBay! It says to start at around 32 weeks I think. I don't really know anything about it either, but I'll start listening to it next week probably.

I've booked onto a Daisy Birthing course which was £60 for 6 weeks. They cover hypnobirthing, yoga and relaxation techniques. I thought £60 was an okay price, I couldn't afford a proper hypnobirthing course either xx

I wish I could afford to have proper hypnobirthing "lessons", because it is meant to be an incredible experience! I don't know tonnes about it other than it is about just quiet, natural, painless labour!

There are lots of books and things and of course dvd's - I am planning on self teaching this time round just to see how it goes.

I hope you find enough information to be able to get to grips with it - I would say youtube but I don't know what on earth it would come up with!

I found the audio cd for what kitty mentioned, might get that and give it a try. Any other suggestions welcome though!
A quiet natural painless labour would be lovely, thanks lol

I hypnobirthed my son into the world back in 2013 :D We were lucky enough to be able to have proper lessons, but I honestly don't think you need to do that if you are open minded & even slightly believe that birth is a natural process that the female body is designed to cope with and get hold of some of the guided relaxation/hypnobirth CDs.

I listened to the relaxation sessions & affirmations every night at bedtime & towards the end of my pregnancy as often as possible at any time I could find. It was very empowering and although I never expected birth to be completely pain free (it wasn't!) I felt calm and was able to have an extremely chilled & painless initial labour at home until my waters broke & my son made it clear he was on his way.

We went into hospital, I was already 10cms dilated (thanks completely to the hypnobirthing I swear!) and my son arrived 3 hours later. The delivery wasn't painless or very quiet as my son's arm was up by his head, so getting him out wasn't easy, but it was quick and intervention free - which was my real hope.

I highly recommend hypnobirthing to anyone, even if you think you might have every drug or intervention going - because I feel that it provides the ability to make calm decisions in a very otherwise stressful situation. So many women feel that labour & childbirth happen 'to' them, hypnobirthing can remove that almost completely in my opinion, even if things don't go as you expect.

I will be using hypnobirthing this time around too and hopefully having a home birth too, that's how confident it makes me feel that I can cope with it.

Take a look on YouTube - there are quite a few free resources on there. Investing in a proper cd & book would be even better, but you dont need proper lessons, just an open mind.

I brought effective birth preparation baggie howell mine was from amazon. It says to use from 32 weeks. I can't afford classes unfortunately but hoping just the cd will do. X

That does it - gonna buy that CD. Now, about bullfighting in labour...

I've got the CD too.; arrived today. I used the pregnancy relaxation one during my last pregnancy as I was suffering from serious anxiety/stress throughout and my MW recommended it. I'm hoping that this one will help me to stay calm during labour and give me some breathing techniques. Just need to find the time to listen to it regularly!

Does the cd come with the effective birth preparation book or do you have to get both separately?

Yorkslass... I am with Airedale Hospital near Steeton (Keighley) and they do a free Hypnobirthing course.

I'm booked on the one in May, it's every Wednesday night in May starting the 4th and I think is between 6 & 8pm.

If you like you are welcome to come along as my "plus 1".
I had invited my friend who's due in July but she's not keen even being in the hospital so probably won't join me.

PM me if you're interested x

I also plan to buy some CDs to 'practice' at home :)

Last edited:
Does the cd come with the effective birth preparation book or do you have to get both separately?

Mine does not come with the book but I never have time to read nor can I be arsed most of the time.

Mine does not come with the book but I never have time to read nor can I be arsed most of the time.

Perfect, I'll get the cd. I buy books all eager to learn and then they sit on the bookshelf forever.

Oh thanks Phoenix! That's very kind :) It might be difficult with work - I don't start mat leave until May 14th (and I teach piano on a Wednesday evening, but might be able to move that around!)
Will pm you...

I think the cd I was looking at was just a cd and not the book too D3bbie ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back