Hyperemesis

Jayjay027

Reaction score
Hello ladies :wave:

I'm currently 4wks pregnant with number 2, and I'm starting to get a bit worried.
With my DD, I had hyperemesis, I was admitted to hospital and put on a drip, I was dehydrated and malnourished. I spent weeks constantly vomiting, up to 10 times a day and lost so much weight. It really was the most horrific thing I've ever experienced in my life! I don't think I would have the strength to go through it again with a 1yr old to look after. :sick:

I was reading that taking vit b6 can help with morning sickness, and also milk thistle. But I bought milk thistle and it says on the label that its not suitable for preggo's! So I've been taking vit b6 since Friday in the hopes that it will at least ease the sickness.

I'm trying to eat little and often, and keeping myself well hydrated, but I did all this before tbh and it didn't make a blind bit of difference. :wall2:
So I was wondering if any of you lovely girlies had any ideas of what else I could do as a preventative measure. I'd rather try to prevent it from coming, or getting as bad, than try to tackle it after it's arrived. I just really want to try to avoid getting hyperemesis at all! :pray:

I feel your pain! I had HG right up to 14 weeks. I lost around 3 stone and was throwing up around 6-8 times a day. Don't leave it too long to get help! The earlier you take anti-sickness meds the better chance you have of it working!

All the 'traditional' remedies don't do anything :-(. Oddly enough I found coca cola and chewits manageable, although not that nutritious ;-). The doctors/hospitals didn't seem to care as I was holding down water, although the amount I was keeping down really wasn't worth it :-/

Please please try and get some help though. At my 12 week scan I found out that my hospital had a dedicated HG ward - ffs! - no one had mentioned it to me! However to get onto this ward you had to be referred by A&E - a 4 hour wait. I was laying on the waiting room floor before my scan as sitting up made me dizzy. No way was I laying on the floor for 4 hours in A&E.

Badger your GP to get a referral to the early pregnancy unit. They will scan you to make sure there are no other causes (twins, molar pregnancy), and they were the people that gave me the meds. However by that point I was too sick to take them so never really got to see if they would work. However if I had those a few weeks earlier, I would have been able to take them and who knows, maybe would have been better!

Get the support of friends and family around you, and make sure you have people 'on standby' to take in your other little one. I pretty much ended up bed bound, and no way would have been able to look after another child. Minimise anything that could cause you stress now and just try to look after yourself xx

Also this site is fantastic http://www.pregnancysicknesssupport.org.uk/. I'm hoping to volunteer with them in the future so that I can provide support to other women. I went through a really rough time getting doctors/friends/family to actually believe how ill I was! Particularly the doctors who kept telling me to eat ginger biscuits. Oh f off!!! I also tried those travel bands. They didn't do much, but I kept them on anyway just in case.

Thank u so so much for ur replies!! I'm seeing the GP on Thurs so will ask him to refer me to EPU. I would never have thought of that!
I tried all the traditional stuff too, travel bands, ginger, dry crackers etc, everything came straight back up, including water. Over a period of 2 weeks I managed to keep down a cheese and tomato sandwich and a red slush puppy. It was the most miserable thing I've ever gone through!
I'll have a click on to that website too. Thank u again!! Massive help xox

Tapatalking from my blackberry!

I was not as bad as some of you ladies but I think I was boarder line HG. I really feel for you. The only time I could drink water was at night so I took a big bottle to bed with me and tried to finish it before morning, I think thats what kept me out of hospital. I agree with the others, get help if you can. If you are still feeling well enough maybe consider filling up the freezer with ready made food for you and your family to take the pressure off a bit if you end up not being able to do anything.

The only good thing about bad MS for me was that labour was a doddle in comparison! I kept saying to the midwife, well this is way better than the MS, I think she was kind of surprized.

Def worth asking your gp...
No other advice im afraid but i wanted to say welcome back!! Haven't seen you on here for ages, Hows your LO getting on?
x

Using tapatalk can't see tickers

Glad I caught your post, I had hyperemesis with both my previous pregnancies (lost 40lbs during first, almost 30lbs with second. i was a size 12/14 to start with) although feeling ok in the very early weeks this time, the last week has been awful. I'm so weak from not being able to keep food down, still vomiting though- no idea where that's coming from! Managed to keep an ice lolly down yesterday, and it made me feel ok for about 20 mins. My poor kids haven't had a cooked meal in a week and really panicking about school holidays that start tomorrow.

Nikki, what is the medication you were prescribed?

I also found I could tolerate water a bit more during the night, and I used to wake up feeling so thirsty, but could only manage a few sips at a time. I also somethings had cordial in my water - mainly lemon or blackcurrant, just to give me the tiniest sugar boost! I would get terrible headaches due to dehydration and found those stick on cool patches for the forehead were a life saver.

Ice lollies and ice cream were one of the first things I started eating again. I would stay away from ice cream or any dairy like yoghurt until you are being sick less as that is horrible coming back up. Avoid milk as that can make things worse. I also found I started to keep down Heinz spaghetti hoops, and if they did come up they were easy on the throat which by then was extremely sore! I used covonia throat spray to help keep it numbed and calm, as after doing research on the ingredients they can only cause 'problems' in the later stages of pregnancy.

Wow the memories are all coming back! I was prescribed Metoclopramide.

The only food I ate for a while was porridge. It stayed down better than most foods and wasnt so bad coming up lol. But I like porridge, a lo of people don't.

FX it's not as bad for you this time, hun. I don't have any advice, just hugs. I remember you having a horrific time last time. I didn't have much nausea with T but it is worse this time round. xxx

Thanks so much for all the replies everyone! :)

Em, sophia is doin brilliantly ty :) she's walkin and sayin a few things.

Karen, sorry to hear ur havin a rough time this time around. I hope the sickness isn't too bad and eases off for u soon xox

Aww jayjay lovely to see you back on the forum and expecting number 2! Congrats x

Thank u mrs v, its nice to be back :) x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lauramayne90
Back