Hyper-mobility syndrome in pregnancy?

fcroxy

Reaction score
I have suffered with hyper-mobility syndrome since I was about 12 (I am now 24) but only really got diagnosed with it about 5 years ago after a dislocation of my knee which led to surgery. Both my knees have dislocated in the past, at least twice to each knee. I have suffered with knee, hip and ankle pains since about 12 years old and the doctors have never really done much about it, other than refer me to physiotherapy which I have done over the years with no real help to the matter.
Now I am 19 weeks pregnant with my first child and for the last few weeks I have been suffering terribly with hip and knee pain, especially knee pain due to past problems with my knees. I have been to the doctors a few times and they are continuing to brush me off with putting it down to my body changing due to pregnancy. I have managed to refer myself to a physiotherapist and they didn't have much to say either, just to do some stretches and exercises at home. But I have researched online that they can offer support belts and crutches but no one seems to be taking me seriously. I also work in care which doesn't help as it can be very strenuous.
I have tried cool packs and hot baths/hot water bottles, but its still unbearable and some days I am really struggling to get out of bed, let alone carry on as normal.

Has anyone else had this sort of problem and have any solutions to manage the pain better? And is it just me or have others been fobbed off by doctors time and time again?

Any help would be great, Thanks x

Oh no sorry to hear your in so much pain! I have hypermobility but not as bad as you.. Never had dislocations etc.. Just constant joint pains and crunching and cracking everytime I move and stand up etc. really hurts.
Some doctors tell me there's nothing wrong with me and another said I do have it, but cause on said I
Didn't they refuse to put it on my notes.

I deffo have it I bend more than I should, and in pain all the time, plus it runs in my family, it gets worse in winter as I also have raynauds syndrome! So stiffens me up even more. Doctors generally fobb you off if they can't give you pills for something, don't want a normal way of helping. I haven't yet found any pain reliefs but my OH massages my joints often and that relieves them for a certain amount of time. :) medication doesn't touch it for me at all! I'm 16 going on 17 weeks pregnant and back is already Uncomfy and aching and crunching more.

Sorry I'm not much help, and sorry your in pain.
I hope it starts to behave for you.
Hope someone can help you with pain relief, jut keep being persistent with doctors, after all you know your body better than anyone!

Xx

Last edited:
Im glad im not the only one out that that feels like im being brushed off! Sometimes I wonder if it is normal to have so much joint pain because doctors never seem to listen. Im just concerned that the joint pain could lead to another dislocation as I have read that during pregnancy a hormone called relaxin (I think thats spelt right) relaxes joints more and I dont need any of that, if anything my joints are too relaxed as it is lol. I will have to get back onto the doctor as work is also becoming an issue as I am really struggling with moving and handling clients and it is causing severe pain. I guess I just feel a tad disappointed and let down with medical people at the moment as since early teens I have been expressing my concerns and now when I need help the most they seem to not want to know.
Thank you for the reply xx

I have this too it doesnt really cause me pain as such but i have to be careful.

I only sleep with my worse knee facing the outside ( outside of leg down) as this stops night dislocations or making it more prone to them as it allows the ligaments to drop.

I have issues with my wrists and ankles more than other things because ofit.
I have had an op on my ankle as ligament was detached and have damaged both wrists in same way , one still faulty damaged when preg with my son who is now 2.5 years old , i am waiting till after this pregnancy to do something about it. and my other wrist was broken at same time so after being in a cast for 6 weeks it had healed itself in some way! but one ankle is still perfect!! Ha

I hope you get some relief soon, watch your knees when preg mine seem to allow themselves to over bend and cause more soreness.

Watch out with breastfeeding, well worth trying , i did it for a year but it does delay the hormones changing back so your being more careful for longer

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back