Hunger strike - a phase?

tweetyfoo

Reaction score
Aaron is nearly nine months

He's on hunger strike - has been for a few days now :wall2: He refuses to open his mouth for food - I have to make him laugh, or spend ages going "aaaaaaa" to get but a few spoonfuls in. He's still not capable of BLW so I don't really know what to do. He's still having milk - about 20oz a day which was fine when he was eating yoghurt and meals laden with cheese but now I don't know what to do.

He doesn't cry or anything - he just looks at me like I'm stupid!

I've tried milk first, and after etc etc

At my wits end, and dreading every meal time now :cry:

Any advice? Any words of wisdom? Any free alcohol?

We've had plenty of hunger strikes...they eventually start eating again :)

tapatalking

Proud mummy of Seren 15 Nov 2010 & Bethan 12 Oct 2012

Hope he becomes a hungry hippo soon Hun :) I'm starting my lo on food soon, my neighbour gave me a cow & gate fruits pot what when I read the ingredients said 100% fruit, no added sugar and added bit c so thought I'd give it a go....she nearly ate the spoon and cried every time I took it away to put more on it! :)

I'm sure he will making it up soon so get those cupboards full! Lol

Do you pretend to eat it? Chloe grabs her milk from me if I pretend to drink it and as for her dummy if she could I think she would stab me..... :-/ x

Cam is on milk.strike atm but happily eating solids.

I used to worry myself silly over it, but I'm just following his lead now. If he wants it he'll take it, if he doesn't he won't.

Just keep offering his food and milk as normal. I'm sure he'll start eating more soon.

XX

Awe wee monkey. Tell him im coming up next week and if hes not careful I will swap him for Daisy Grace who pinches everything off my plate. I swore id never complain when she done that but why cant she take her dads?! She inly had 8oz of milk yesterday and I blamed the heat. Could it be that? Xxxx

tapatalking

Ethan's permanently on milk strike & it drives me nuts! But I just let him get on with it now & give him as much as he'll take.. Luckily, he still eats for england when it comes to solids and drinks water!
I'm sure he'll go back to eating soon hun, at least he's getting a fair amount of milk in the meantime xx

I think they'll go through a few hunger strikes as they get used to all this food malarkey!

James isn't on strike so much as he is on total meltdown every time I try to feed him. He starts OK but within about 10 minutes he is screaming and there are proper tears.... it's been like this for 2 days now but he had a great few days before so I am hoping its a phase? *please God let it end soon*

xxxxxxx

Last edited:
I am currently doing the "let Bethan drink from her tommee tippee cup and in between sips shove food into her mouth" feeding method...and have on/off tears throughout.

I reckon it's their version of what older children do. Just testing the boundaries...

tapatalking

I am currently doing the "let Bethan drink from her tommee tippee cup and in between sips shove food into her mouth" feeding method...and have on/off tears throughout.

I reckon it's their version of what older children do. Just testing the boundaries...

tapatalking

When I wipe Aaron's mouth with a wipe he tried to eat it, so I resorted to teasing him with it today to shovel some food it. He caught on pretty quick though :rotfl:

Www.justgiving.com/AaronFarquharson

Text aaro89 and £1, £2, £3, £4, £5 or £10 to 70070

B did this for a whole week, then a new tooth appeared and back came her appetite! X

tapatalking

When I wipe Aaron's mouth with a wipe he tried to eat it, so I resorted to teasing him with it today to shovel some food it. He caught on pretty quick though :rotfl:

Www.justgiving.com/AaronFarquharson

Text aaro89 and £1, £2, £3, £4, £5 or £10 to 70070

He's a smart cookie. T has been through these, I too give him a sip of water then he'll let me shove another mouthful in.

I think the fact that you're still getting 20oz in is fine. I usually only get 14-17oz in and he can't have dairy, but isn't loosing weight.

Will he open his mouth for fruit purées?

I'm sure hell be back to eating again. Might be because of a tooth coming through?
Xx

You should follow his lead. There are reasons to get worried, and if it goes on for a long time or he loses weight or is not as energetic as normal then it is an issue, otherwise it is his bodies natural control. We have a big issue in the west with forcing our bodies to consume food when we don;t actualy want or need it. Babies have not yet been conditioned out of it. If you try and force food down your baby or make a massive issue out of it you will start conditioning him to ignore signs of hunger or fullness and this can then lead to weight problems in later life.

As I said, if it is going on for a long time, as in no calorific value for more than 4 days (as long as he is still having solids) then you need to be concerned and get him checked out, but what you described is perfectly normal and very very healthy!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lauramayne90
Back