Humph. Cardiologist update.

Tigger87

Reaction score
I went for my follow up today. My palpitations have pretty much stopped but any level of exertion (for example, the 2 flights of stairs I walk up to get to my desk) are shooting my heart rate up to 145+, combined with dizziness and a need to sit down.

They want to do a 48 hr monitoring to check that the fast heart rate isn't the "bad" kind (sinus tachycardia vs SVT), and a follow up in 3 weeks.

My heart rate was 120 at the appt, despite having sat down for 20 mins before. He suggested I consider taking maternity earlier than 37 weeks - which id really like to avoid just because of money issues and spending less time with the baby.

Feel a bit deflated because I thought they'd just tell me it's all fine and off I go, but they basically told me to give up my office job early for my health :-(

Spoke to my boss when I got back and asked if I could move desks to the bottom floor next week and explained why, which he said was fine, so hopefully that will help! Hoping to get my heart monitoring appt through tomorrow as it has to be soon, I had a horrible reaction to the pads on a 24 hr monitoring last time, so I'm dreading this, but we'll see how it goes.

Oh, and I have borderline high blood pressure according to the midwives - 140/80-85 is my average as of late :-(

Nothing's easy is it? Poor you, it's awful having that to worry about. Your health does come first though and although you'd obviously rather spend more time with the baby after he/she's born, they're going to need a healthy, well rested mummy to look after them so you need to think about yourself too x

Sorry to hear this Tigger :( I could have written your post - I had tachycardia with my first two and I have it this time too, I had an echo, 24 hour tape and they still couldnt find out what was wrong but it makes you feel like poo :(, Also rubbish when you are avised to give up work early. My blood pressure s slightly raised though the midwife is using a large cuff in the hope it will give a better reading.
Giving up caffeine has helped me, my resting pulse is about 110 now. I dont know what the answer is but just wanted to say you're not alone xx

Thanks girls. I know my health means baby's health, and ill do what I need to do, it's just hard to know what's best - giving up work could potentially up my activity levels if I find more to do at home!!

EllieG, I totally gave up caffeine with my BFP, only have it in chocolate and the occasional diet coke when I forget!!!

They say as long as its the good kind of tachycardia, it won't impact my labour, so that's good news at least!

Fx the results are good for you hun. It sounds really annoying, but you have to look after yourself. You can always manage with a little less money if you have to. I know you know that. My sil was signed off from 16 weeks because of medical problems, not ideal but there's nothing you can do.
Try not to worry hun. Xxxx

Sorry hun tri hopping here
I also have SVT and innocent heart murmur so I know how you feel however I haven't had an attack in two years now.
Had an echo and ECG 18 months ago and all normal.
I see a consultant after my 20 weeks scan an just very worried and having quite bad anxiety over it as just really don't want another echo they scare me! Do they only do echo's etc when like yourself your having symptoms? X

Oh no, gutted they've not just said all is ok and sent you on your merry way :-( hopefully it won't get any worse or more of a worry. Big decision tho about leaving work early, suppose Drs know best but it will be a shame to lose the time at the other end. Hope it's not upset you too much and you get your next lot of monitoring out of the way quickly and hopefully they'll be some better news at the end of this one xx

Sorry not what u hoped for but big hugs xxx

Hi Tigger!

This is me too! I have been signed off since 15 weeks due to 2 MMC's my blood pressure and high resting pulse - though I already have a heart problem before my BFP. My average blood pressure is 130/90 and my resting pulse is 130 and the docs arent to worried about it (just so long as I keep an eye on it). I am even allowed to try for a natural birth but c-section is there if things turn hairy.

Have you thought about trying yoga or meditating - I am finding this helps me tonnes!!! FX your ok hun XXXX

Do they only do echo's etc when like yourself your having symptoms? X

They did a 24 hr heart monitoring just to be sure when I was referred by the midwives at 12 weeks, just as a precaution. They detected a fast heart rate so did a scan (this is what they call an echo right?) which showed I have a structurally normal heart, so they aren't too concerned. His only real problem is that if my fast heart rate is actually lots of SVTs (they don't feel like it, I find them usually to be a sudden start and stop-very obvious) then they might need to give me beta blockers.

As long as the baby's ok is what matters, and all this stress on my body, so far, isn't doing him/her any harm. I just hope it stays that way. Think I'm gonna have to learn to ask people to do a bit more for me in work too, to save walking around so much. It's a catch 22 though because my hip starts to hurt if I sit all day... Why can't things be easy!

I'm not decided whether I will give up early. I have a week off in 3 and a half weeks, then every Wednesday for another 3 weeks till I finish. So if I finished early I think I'd only be off those 3 "short" weeks extra, which if I'm downstairs anyway, might not be too bad...!!

Oh bless u honey! When mine starts it literally goes bang and thats it for a good 20 mins if not more. Then it goes just as fast as it started then I feel like ooooo can relax now. I do my breathing exercises, bearing down etc etc.
I had an echo and showed the same hun nothing to worry about just like u said its investigating the types of SVT
Betablockers arnt bad though Hun I've had them before and found them so much better!!!

My heart now has funny blips and I feel it's coming then it never does! Just hope if it Happens in labour they can sort it out quick! X

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back