Hubby's sperm sample being done tomorrow - what's next?

MissJuly10

Reaction score
My DH is going to be handing his sample in tomorrow and I was wondering how long we'd normally wait for results and whether we can phone for them?

Also, I know it's an impatient thing to ask but has anyone else gone past the stage we're at and would have any idea what the consultant might want to do next?

DH seems to think there's nothing else they can do to test for PCOS and that the issue must lie with him. :rolleyes:

I'm oddly excited for the follow up appointment, looking forward to getting all our results together and finding out what's what. :)

Pointless post really. :oooo:

Also, if my tests have come back clear for PCOS, then would that possibly mean I could end up with Clomid and not Metformin?

x x

Umm, even if you're clear for PCOS - it doesn't change that you have abnormal cycles and i wouldn't expect them to treat you before diagnosing you with a reason for your abnormal cycles :eh:

PCOS is a physical inability for your ovaries to release eggs consistantly but there are still various causes for no ovulation that should really be considered by your doctor before treating you.

They certainly can't ignore it anyway. I'm not sure what they would attempt to put you on but i'd be concerned that without knowing what is wrong - how can they attempt to fix it?

As for your husband, hopefully his results would be fine. I don't see any reason to think that he has the issue :)

Once I was diagnosed with pcos and hubbys SA came back ok I was put on clomid to see if it helped me ovulate more regularly, next I had lap & OD, now I am back on clomid and metformin .

Last edited:
Hiya hun, we have basically gone through an identical process as you! The last things we had done were hycosy and OH's SA. Then we went for our follow up on monday and we got provera to induce af and clomid to start on CD2 once af is here! so i imagine yours will possibly be the same. Hope that helps a little bit xxx

Good luck for hubby tom - mines doing his sa tomorrow as well x

Lou - I know they'll investigate first lol, what I meant was if the issue isn't PCOS, would the treatment change as the consultant has only mentioned Metformin as he suspects PCOS is the problem. I know it's not the end of the tests - hence why I asked if anyone had gone through a similar journey to mine and would know what the next possibility is.... I suppose I'm trying to figure out what will happen before it happens which is silly I suppose cos who knows what they'll do? :rolleyes:

Just feeling impatient to get the next appointment really, now that we've done the SA today, we've nothing to do now!

:whistle:

x x

Last edited:
I got a letter through this morning dated December, from a member of the consultant's team to my GP basically explaining our first visit and my cervix exam, how my uterus was etc. They explained all the tests we were going to have and that we'd be seen in 3 months. My DH said he's to do his 2nd sample in 4 weeks as well so looks like we'll be seen again roughly in March. :)

x x

Thats good to hear Miss July :-0

Have a nice weekend.

Regards

Joanne

Hiya, I think if you are clear of pcos & get the all clear as & when they decide to do a hystrocoscopy, Hsg, or a laprocoscopy, then you will be put on clomid & possible they could keep you on metiformin too.

Metiformin helps with ovulation & if a person is consided over weight then they treat them with metiformin as a extra to your treatment plan. After your dh's 2nd sample they may consider a 3rd sample as they usually do 3 samples to compare, if that comes back normal then they will do bloods possibly a AMH ovary reverse test to see if you have low fertility & if thats the case then you will continue on fertility meds or opt for ivf/icsi even iui as the next step.

Lots of luck, hope you get some answers at your next appointment x

Last edited:
We were told OH's SA results would take 2 weeks, I did ring to get the results but was told they couldn't give me them over the phone but would send a letter in the post.

Thanks girls. :D x

Do you get the results after the 2nd test is done? As that'd mean it could be a minimum of 5 - 6 weeks before we're sent a letter but we got one yesterday saying they wanted to see us again in March so we might just get them from the consultant. x x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back