HSG

Londongirl

Reaction score
Hi ladies,

So I'm booked in for a hsg next month. Quick question for those that have had this - will I be ok to go to work afterwards or should I book the day off?

Thanks

Anna x

I took the afternoon off work after my hsg. Physically I would have been fine but mentally I'm glad cos they couldn't give me the results there and then and I'd convinced myself my tubes were blocked so was very upset. Turns out it was ok. Up to yourself if you feel you want to go back to work afterwards, for me it was no worse than a smear x

I took the day off. Was feeling very sorry for myself so glad of it. I found it very emotional, but that could have been timing

I had the day off but to be honest would have been fine working after, I didn't know what to expect so didn't want to risk it it, infact I convinced myself I was going to be in agony when in fact it wasn't painful at all just some period type cramps for all of 5 minutes while they were doing it.

I took afternoon off and ended up having next day off too- they had real trouble getting it through my cervix as its tilted, so it was sore after, and told me results straight away (both tubes blocked). I was in no state to do anything but go home and cry.

Which brings me to another point- it is not a 100% accurate test (as in my case!) so please dont worry too much about it xx

Thanks ladies. I'm tempted to book the day off - even if I don't feel too bad afterwards, it would be nice just to have some time to do something nice for myself

I have to say - I'm not convinced this test is anything more thana delaying tactic on the part of the nhs. I understand that it doesn't make sense to prescribe drugs to make someone ovulate if their tubes are blocked, but equally there's no reason to assume every woman who's having difficulty ttc has blocked tubes. I asked the nurse if pcos is associated with having blocked tubes but she didn't seem to know. And as a couple of you have pointed out, it's not even that accurate anyway!

One more question - what happened after your hsg? Did you have to have any more tests after that or did you move onto treatment?

Thanks
Anna x

I needed the rest of the day off because I felt so emotional. They couldn't get the tube in and weren't able to continue so it was such a let-down still not knowing and also feeling sore from trying to get the tube in. If it goes smoothly (& it does 90% of the time) it will be almost like a smear but I had to lie in a very uncomfortable position for a long time and it wasn't very nice.

I'd told my manager I was having a hospital procedure but not what it was, so she didn't expect me to come in to work, she recorded the morning as a medical appointment and the afternoon as absence for recovery.

If you've had the ultrasound and the blood tests then this should be the last procedure. If your tubes are clear you will probably be told to try for a bit longer, if they are blocked you might get a lap and dye or be recommended IVF.

Good luck. :clover: I'm sure you'll be fine!

I booked the day off and so glad I did as mine was complete agony :( they didn't diagnose me right away and I waited 2 months to find out I have a unicornuate uterus. This is why it hurt so much. I had cramps that evening and the for about 3 days after mine. Like everyone said though its best to Book it off as it can be emotionally draining xx

Thanks all for your comments - it does seem like its different for everyone. I'm more worried about what will happen afterwards. I had been thinking they'd put me on clomid but the nurse muttered something about ivf at my appointment this week. I was really surprised as I wouldn't have thought that would be the first thing they'd try. I hope not as I think I only get one free try where I live. So now I'm a bit worried that ivf will be my only hope because of my amenorrhea...?

Anna x

Thanks all for your comments - it does seem like its different for everyone. I'm more worried about what will happen afterwards. I had been thinking they'd put me on clomid but the nurse muttered something about ivf at my appointment this week. I was really surprised as I wouldn't have thought that would be the first thing they'd try. I hope not as I think I only get one free try where I live. So now I'm a bit worried that ivf will be my only hope because of my amenorrhea...?

Anna x

I know my situation is different but I was spoken to about ivf too. But I was given 3 months of clomid to try before I would be referred, then I would have another 3 months of clomid while I waited for ivf to start. I should be being referred for ivf on Wednesday but I'm on holiday so I've been given an extra 2 months of clomid and I'm being referred in August now. I'm sure u will be given clomid first xx

I had my HSG yesterday and was absolutely fine afterwards. It was uncomfortable during the procedure though. It turns out both of my fallopian tubes are completely blocked. Whilst it's not the best news, at least I now know the reason why we've struggled and can find a way forward.

Good luck :)

I would book the day off, simply so you dont have to worry about work after. I didnt find it painful at all but was a little crampy afterwards. I fell pregnant the month of my hsg (unfortunately resulted in missed miscarriage) but I do think it helps on some occasions. The sonographer said that sometimes it just clears the cobwebs away. I guess its to do with funding why they wont put someone on clomid first, it would be wasteful to put someone on clomid if their tubes were blocked and also it seems to be part of the fertility testing process. I am not sure of the next steps as we have been discharged from out fertility appointments now as we fell pregnant. Wishing you lots of luck x

Anna x

You might get a lap and dye if the blockage is just fluid or something minor, because the dye can clear it, but if its anything harder to shift you'd need an operation to clear your tubes with a tiny needle. My friend was told she couldn't have it on the NHS because it costs about £3,000 so they told her to go straight to IVF which they would pay for. She ended up having the surgery privately because they don't want to have to do IVF every time they want a child. I hope yours is easily sorted. :good:

Hi ladies,

Just thought I'd let you know how it went.

Well, the good news is that the results were totally positive - tubes completely clear, no blockages, uterus is fine :dance:

The bad news is that it hurt like hell! I had read it might be a but painful but was totally unprepared for how bad it would be. Maybe I'm more of a wimp than I thought?! Certainy doesn't make me feel great about the idea of actually having to give birth at some point?!

Definitely glad I took the day off work

Seeing consultant on the 6th -can't wait!!
Anna x

Mine was a Friday afternoon and I took the afternoon off and glad I had the weekend. Mine was really painful she was trying to get dye through my blocked tube and I'm sure that's what caused the pain I had period like cramps for a few days after.it was emotionally taxing too asI didn't get the results there and then either. So I didn't find out my tube wasbloced until next appointment. Glad yours was ok.

M x

I was so glad they told me the results then and there - couldn't have dealt with waiting!!

I have my HSG next week and am nervous about your comments of pain!

Glad it went well though Anna - good luck for the app on the 2 August. I'm intrigued to know what they advise your next step to be. My gynae was talking about straight to IVF after HSG and didn't even mention clomid.
X

Hi flowerpower, I think everyone is different and how painful it is really is just a matter of chance or luck. So yours may not be so bad. I had taken a couple of paracetamol before, but if I had to do it again, I would have taken ibuprofen as well.

I'm also very interested to see what happens next. I really hope it's not straight to ivf as we only get one free go at thy where we live. I am assuming they will try clomid or metformin or sth similar first - who knows?

Good luck, let us know how you get on

Anna x

I am so glad all came back clear :) one step closer to your BFP now x
Flowerpower, please don't worry, mine was pain free, I had a few AF type cramps after but was fine during the HSG x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lauramayne90
Back