HSG- alternative? :/

sunnyland27

Reaction score
Hi girls,

I was all excited on Monday when AF arrived (weird, I know!) because I got to ring up and make an appointment for a HSG and it's scheduled for Monday 10th.

The excitement turned to sadness when I did a bit of research and realised i probably have an allergy to iodine. The doctor did mention I might want to get an allergy test before the procedure but I think I was very emotional at the appt and itdidn't really sink in. I'm allergic to almost everything! including some anaphylactic symptoms and a reaction to seafood. The seafood/iodine connection is disputed but I just KNOW if some people get bad reactions to the dye they use, I'll be one of them. Any of you had a reaction (swelling, bleeding, pain etc) after having this done? I just don't think I can risk it doing more harm than good :(

I BET they wont do it but I found they can do a similar procedure using a device that creates bubbles in saline solution (inserted exatly like the HSG dye), which can be easily seen using a normal ultrasound. I can't understand why they wouldn't use this test as standard, instead of risking allergies/reactions to the dye and exposing women to unnecessary radiation!? Here's the link:
http://www.femvue.com/home.php

I had a Hycosy instead, not for any other reason than that's what my clinic do rather than HSG.
The test you mentioned sounds just like a Hycosy, saline is used rather than dye and instead of using a X-ray a regular ultrasound is done

I'm pretty sure it was a saline solution that was used for my HSG. I would go to your appt anyway and explain - or if you are able to ring up before, explain the situation and find out what they use.

Ooh thanks, I went for blood tests today and asked the nurse if they do hycosy in sunderland. She said only 1 doctor does it so I'll just have to see a different doctor :) I asked about the catheter and balloon they use and she said they can get non-latex ones so at least I can stay positive about the hycosy being an option. She's going to make me another appt with my gyno to talk about cancelling the hsg.

How did your hycosy go tinkerbell? Was it particularly uncomfortable or just like a smear? x

... and ecairef? How was yours? Did they use an ultrasound? The one I'm Booked in for is done in the X-ray dept. I think I might have to go to the appt on Monday as u said because the nurse said it might take a few days for the doc to ring me anyway! At least I'll be talking to the person who actually does the procedure. Thanks x

Last edited:
Yes it's a hycosy as the other girls have said they use saline. I paid privately for mine but because of your situation you may be able to get it on the nhs. Good luck

Gizzy x

I didn't find it that uncomfortable at all, had some slight cramping during the procedure but no more than light period cramps and there was no bleeding or spotting after.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back