How will I know?

SAHF

Reaction score
Other than a breastfeeding workshop, I haven't gone to any antenatal classes. We couldn't afford to pay for any and we were never told about any free ones locally. I tried Googling for free ones, but the information that came up never led anywhere.

I am now 12 days away from my due date and literally have no idea what to do. How will I know when I am in labour? How will I know how to time my contractions? How will I know when to call the midwife (if we go ahead with our planned home birth) or to head to the hospital (which we live a 30 minute drive from, neither of us drive)? How will I know how to breathe through the contractions to make them more bearable, or when to push? I literally have no idea what I am doing!

Hey I didn't want to read and run but you sound a bit stressed and worried... The first thing to do is take a big deep breath and relax! Then I would ring your midwife and ask to have a chat about all these things so you can get correct information about your local area. Everything you have asked we have all asked at some stage, for me I need to talk to someone and be able to ask the daft questions so I would recommend d you do that. There will be loads of people along with helpful suggestions I'm sure but the main thing I can stress is not to worry and that a lot of things come all very naturally , I explained it to my friends like knowing I was hungry or knowing I needed the lol or knowing I got or cold or tired or whatever, you will be fine

Ah SAHF I never went to any antenatal with my first , I was 22 . I told myself what was going to happen was natural and my body was made to do it .

I knew when I went onto labour because I felt a weird popping sensation and had a show ( mucus plug) then I started pains like period pains ...mine happened really fast and I remember someone telling me to time the length I between contractions but I couldn't get my head around it ... They were close together immediately so I went to hospital . I could feel each contraction pushing baby further and further down the birth canal . So I took big breaths in and blew out through my mouth .

Each labour is different , you will have no doubt when its happening your instincts will tell you ! Perhaps you could find antenatal classes on youtube? They might reassure you ?

Good luck xxx

I got achy hips but then tightenings happened.

You'll know though when it's proper contractions.

Once they are every two minutes apart and you can no longer talk through them (but have to adopt a certain position, sway, or make 'mooing' noises etc) that's when you know birth is imminent lol.

I would phone a midwife or go into hospital when the contractions are 4 or 5 minutes apart and regular.

Do phone your community midwife though and talk it all through with her :)

Last edited:
hi SAHF
what we were taught in antenatal classes is that prior to labour you might feel a bit sick and might have some loose stool
you might also get some period like back pain
you could have a show or maybe not - and waters may or may not break.
initially contractions will probably be irregular and spaced far apart. Im like you so don't really know what a contraction feels like but i imagine itll be obvious.
basically when contractions start to become more regular you time them- we were advised to wait until they are 5 minutes apart and lasting 40 sec to 1 minute - but thats not to say you cant call the hospital for advice earlier- if your not sure at any point just give the midwifes a call and discuss symptoms over phone - they are happy to help and will tell you what to do
i imagine ifn you are having a home birth it might be slightly different but i dont know but you should discuss that with your midwife at next appt.
main thing they emphasised to us in the classes was relaxation- if you youtube breathing techniques in labour and labour positions there is a lot of info on youtube which is helpful. also that first stage of labour can be several hours for first baby and you just need to rest and relax as much as possible, maybe watch a funny dvd, have a warm bath etc.
this video might be helpful its basically what i was taught in the class https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6lEeXQE8q_0
also if you look up hypnobirthing on youtube they give good tips on breathing techniques i found tracey rose videos helpful
this is all theory for me however as havent experienced it yet but feel i am more relaxed since watching these
if you are having a lot of anxiety it might be worthwhile looking into hypnobirthing classes i never had any as heard about it too late but it looks pretty good

with regards to when to push your midwife should be with you by that stage and will guide you step by step so i wouldnt worry too much plus your body will tell you

Thanks for starting this thread- I haven't been to any classes either as NCT was so expensive and the local hospital classes filled up ridiculously quickly- I didn't realise how early I needed to get in there. As I'm hoping for a home birth I have the same midwife every time and she spends ages chatting about it all every time I see her. She said it didn't really matter if i didn't get to a class and not to feel bad about it. Just make sure your midwife spends enough time talking you through everything- don't feel you're taking up too much time as its really important you feel relaxed and that you can trust your body and instincts. You'll do brilliantly. Best of luck when your time comes!

hi SAHF
what we were taught in antenatal classes is that prior to labour you might feel a bit sick and might have some loose stool
you might also get some period like back pain
you could have a show or maybe not - and waters may or may not break.
initially contractions will probably be irregular and spaced far apart. Im like you so don't really know what a contraction feels like but i imagine itll be obvious.
basically when contractions start to become more regular you time them- we were advised to wait until they are 5 minutes apart and lasting 40 sec to 1 minute - but thats not to say you cant call the hospital for advice earlier- if your not sure at any point just give the midwifes a call and discuss symptoms over phone - they are happy to help and will tell you what to do
i imagine ifn you are having a home birth it might be slightly different but i dont know but you should discuss that with your midwife at next appt.
main thing they emphasised to us in the classes was relaxation- if you youtube breathing techniques in labour and labour positions there is a lot of info on youtube which is helpful. also that first stage of labour can be several hours for first baby and you just need to rest and relax as much as possible, maybe watch a funny dvd, have a warm bath etc.
this video might be helpful its basically what i was taught in the class https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6lEeXQE8q_0
also if you look up hypnobirthing on youtube they give good tips on breathing techniques i found tracey rose videos helpful
this is all theory for me however as havent experienced it yet but feel i am more relaxed since watching these
if you are having a lot of anxiety it might be worthwhile looking into hypnobirthing classes i never had any as heard about it too late but it looks pretty good

Thank you!! Going to spend an evening on YouTube I think :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lauramayne90
Back