How to tell the father of an Unplanned Pregnancy

Penny24

Reaction score
I'm sorry if this is in the wrong thread, I wasn't sure where to post it.

So yesterday I found out that I'm pregnant. However, I am not in a relationship, nor do I have a friendship with the father. I have only ever met him twice, and although I thought we hit it off quite well, and got along well, last week he deleted and blocked my number, for no apparent reason. At the time I was fine with it, thinking that if he didn't want to know me, then that's fine, however now I'm in a bit of a situation, in that I'm carrying someone's baby who doesn't want to know me, and I have little means in being able to contact!

I'm really confused over this situation, and very emotional about finding out that I'm pregnant. I wouldn't want to rush into telling him anyways, but I feel like he does need to know. Do I try to track him down on social media to tell him? How would I even go about telling someone I hardly know, and someone that obviously wants nothing to do with me such big news? Has anyone ever had to do anything similar? What should I say? How long should I wait?

I know this is a lot of questions but I just really need some advice. I don't want to come across the wrong way to him, but it seems like the right thing for me to track him down somehow to tell him, I'm not really sure.

Advice would be very much appreciated!

Do you know how many weeks you are?

Personally I would call or text from a different number as the only issue with FB etc is that sometimes messages go into that weird folder and people don't always see. Tricky situation but you can only be honest. It takes 2 to tango so I wouldn't worry about how you come across to him, his feelings aren't your responsibility. Hope you can get something sorted, look after yourself.

I would also call of a different number and tell him on the phone or ask to meet. Lors of woman do this on their own so you would be fine but i think its right to give him the opportunity to do the right thing x

The doctor said I was just over 5 weeks, so it's still very early.
Thank you both for the advice. Using someone else's phone does seem like a good idea. I think I was just panicking on how I would tell him, as I know it's only fair that he knows.

Do I tell him as soon as possible, or wait until I'm a bit further along? Or do I really just do what's right for me?
I'm sorry I have so many questions.

I think its best to do it now as he has the right to his opinion and its something you both need to talk about and he needs to get his head around this. Alao if he says he wants nothing to do with you or baby then ypu need to get your head around that. I can only imagine how scared you must be but maybe just coming out with it and saying hi i think its best we go for coffee... im pregnant and we need to discuss this. Also the longer you put it of the harder it may become. Keep us updated

i would tell him sooner rather than later. he might surprise you and be really supportive and may want to be present at scans. it would also be helpful if you could find out a little bit about his families medical history

I still haven't managed to tell him. I've been struggling to tell my friends, and when I have told them they've been against me telling the father.
I'm left so confused. I'm also really scared of his reaction. I know you can never predict someone's reaction, so I shouldn't worry too much about it, but I'm really concerned.
I do really want to tell him as soon as possible though, because it's starting to eat me up and give me anxiety. :(

I think you need to tell him asap as the longer you leave it the more anxious you are going to get and the harder it's going to be. Maybe contact him off a different number or find him on facebook? And just say we really need to talk-I'm pregnant and I think you should know cxx

Sent from my SM-G928F using Tapatalk

I think its completely wrong of your friends to say that. Your child has the right to know its dad and by not telling him your stopping that if he chooses not to have anything to do with you then fine but at least ypu can tell your child you did what you could. Also i wouldnt really tell anyome till your scan but thats just me. I did it once and mc it was then vwry hard as i hhad to tell people. Thats a personal decision though and everyone is different.
It will get harder the longer you leave it and it is hard but you just need to come out with it.

Please tell the father of your child.
I was in a similar situation with my first and I told him and he made the decisions that he didn't want to be involved. Yes it hurt at first but it was the right thing. I even wrote him a letter and sent a picture when she was born and nothing. Your friends have no right in saying don't tell him. You never k ow he may step up and want to be involved somewhat x

What are your friends reasons for not telling him? It's not advice I'd give if my friend was in this situation. Aside from any ethical reasons it would be helpful if he was involved to any degree so you could know his medical history. Hope you are ok x

Sorry for taking so long to update. I've told the father now. I had to message him on Facebook in the end.
He didn't respond but has now blocked me.
I guess it may just be a shock, and he may need some time.
Either which way I will be ok without him.

Gosh that sucks. Sorry! Men can be awful. Hopefully he'll come around and talk soon though like you said. Hope you have lots of other support around you!

We have now had a very brief conversation. He's not onboard, and has said he doesn't feel ready for a child, so will not want anything to do with it.
It's not an ideal situation, but it was hardly an ideal conception.
I just feel a lot happier knowing where I stand, and that I will need to be strong in doing this alone.

We’ve been talking about having another kid for quite some time now. My husband knew that I wanted and I knew that he didn’t. We had several discussions about it and he told me, although he wouldn’t like another kid because he thinks that it would destroy our relationship, that he wouldn’t stand in my way if I really wanted to. He had said that also to our friends. Until then, our way of protection was coitus interruptus, so not the safest method. Then, in the beginning of the year I had some skin problems and I started to take the pill to get rid of it. My husband also knew about it and we started to have sex with him coming inside me. After e few months, I told him that I am not taking the pill any longer. He said OK, which means of course that we either go back to our old way of protection or continue and try for a baby. The next time we had sex, he came inside me, which I understood as him being ok with us trying for another baby. I didn’t even know if I could get pregnant again, as I’m almost 38 and 8 years have passed since we had our first daughter and I also didn’t take any measures, such as fertility tests, measuring the temperature or try to have sex on specific days. I thought, if it’s supposed to happen, it will. And it did. I was supposed to get my period the last weekend. It didn’t come, but I didn’t worry to much because my cycle has been quite irregular and up to 35 days isn’t anything special for me. But when it didn’t arrive on Monday I started to think, maybe I could be pregnant. I didn’t have any symptoms other than tender breasts, but that also happens before the period. So, on Tuesday morning, the day of my 38th birthday I did a pregnancy test and it came out positive. I didn’t really know how to react, I was happy and frightened at the same time. Because it was my birthday, my husband invited me to meet him and go for lunch. At lunch, I told him that I was pregnant and I was ready for all kind of reactions, but not this one. He asked me “But how? I mean how did that happened”? And I answered a bit in disbelief “What you mean how did that happened? We had sex and as I don’t take the pill any more for a couple of months, I got pregnant. I didn’t even know if I still was able to conceive but that what happened”. And then he started this whole conversation of “You’ve never told me that you were not taking the pill any more…I think it’s a bit convenient that you start talking about another kid and now you’re pregnant..” At this point, I couldn’t take it anymore. I had just found out I was pregnant and he’s accusing me of tricking him into having a baby. It’s not my fault that he didn’t realize what it means to NOT take the pill any more or that he was too distracted to listen. Too distracted to see that the pill package that I had kept on the top of the bathroom counter was not there anymore, too distracted to understand that sometimes my period was not coming on a specific day anymore. I started to cry and had to leave. I had to be alone. I was sad and confused. I was driving around the whole afternoon trying to make sense out of it. As I had to pick up our daughter from school we met back in the house at night and we talked. He told me again that I haven’t’ told him that I wasn’t taking the pill anymore and I told him again that I did. That this is going to destroy our life, our relationship and puts a lot of financial stress on us. The next two days passed on with some distance between us and yesterday night I asked him what he wants to do? We talked again and he is still blaming me that I was conscious (of course I was, I stopped the pill) and that I should have told him when he was coming inside me that I wasn’t on the pill anymore. So, I tell him before, but now he’s blaming me for not telling him during sex?! He’s telling me that he’s feeling empty inside, although he loves me and if the baby is here he will love it as he does our firstborn, but he still doesn’t know where it leaves us. “It’s a matter of trust” he told me. I was crying the whole night and still now. I feel that he puts all the responsibility on top of me. I feel that is what he always does. I have to take care of our daughter’s activities, playdates, paying the bills, from the maid to private school, make sure there is someone to pick her up, make sure we have groceries in the house when we run out, replace the vacuum cleaner when it gets broke and make sure to find the money for it, water the plants, clean the house when the maid is on holidays etc. (I have my own business and earn fairly well and he is employed) Now, he’s telling me that this baby will ruin our relationship and that he has had his opinion of not wanting a baby forever and this is not going to change overnight. I’m telling him that I think he’s creating a self-fulfilling prophecy and that everything is going to be fine, but I’m out of wit. I love him and I know he loves me, but I cannot keep being sad when I actually want to be happy and look forward to have this baby. Also, our daughter would like to have a sister. I really hope he can see the positive of all this and come back to us..

Last edited:
Im glad tou fsel bettwr and at leasr its done now. As you say he may nwed more time and time will tell. You will manage fine hun dont worry xx

Congratulations on your pregnancy :) It's hard work being a single mother! I have been single since the birth, but I do get some help from the father at weekends and also a lot from my parents. Have you got family to support you?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back