How to manage financially?

northerngirl

Reaction score
So I've just become a single parent and have no idea how I'm going to earn money and take care of my 9 month old.
My mum could probably have him 1, 2 days a week max but what do I do on the other days when I need to work?
I'm only on minimum wage so I couldn't afford for him to go to nursery.
Is there such a thing as government sponsered nursery places?
How do other people cope?

Im pretty certain there is a childcare element to tax credits, so they would pay for a good chunk of the cost x

There are vouchers available to help cover the costs as a form of tax credit. Sorry you're going through this, my Lo is 8 months and if I suddenly found myself single I'd be lost and devastated

Go onto entitled to website because I'm sure you'd get tax credits and help with rent etc.
Can you go part time at work.
I went back when little one was 8 months old and did 2 to 3 days a week so little one only went to nursery on days I worked.
It's hard but possible x

Thank you all for responses, I currently work part time and do also recieve child tax credits so I'm gonna contact CAB and find out of they will be affected and how xo

In the UK you get paid in your maternity leave which is 6 months. Can be up to a year with less pay tho! I don't know about the rest but I know for me, being a nurse at the NHS (national health system) I get free childcare at my hospital's nursery, tho I am a bit concerned about the opening times as I work 12 hours shifts but I am sure I will be able to get an arrangement with my boss to get out on time to pick up my future baby (I finish my shift at 20:30, same time the nursery closes). Also here you get quite a good monetary support from the goverment... You also get prenatal vitamins, dentist care and other stuff!

Hi, I have been a single mum for 4 years, soon to do it again with another!

Nursery was the biggest struggle for me, but it is doable. My mum has her 1 day, she is in nursery 2 days, I work part time, you get top ups with tax credits, I get a bit towards my rent.

I won't lie, it has been a massive struggle in the past but I feel I am kind of on top of it now. Then have another due in Jan and have to do it all again lol x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back