How to build supply seriously struggling

Scattyash

Reaction score
Hi I had my twins on the 4th of may snd for the first 4 days I only breastfed, on day 5 they got taken into hospital for jaundice and had both lost loads of weight so I was told to express and use fomula so we could monitor how much they have,
My little boys weight loss kept going down so giving him fomula and noting what he had was really working, while I was at hospital using there pump was great as it was a really good one,
Now I'm at home my supply Is rubbish my pump is crap and I am only pumping about 10 ml from both every 3 hours,
I'm hardly putting the babies on the breast as I don't feel there's enough there so giving them fomula, I'm taking fenugreek and tablets from the dr to try help supply,
But I know it's a supply and demand thing but I really need help and ideas how I can satisfy them both and build up supply at same time,
My midwifes and health visitors don't help at all, they talk about breast feeding like its the easiest thing in the world but its not,
I don't wanna give up but I'm close :(

Last edited:
((Big hugs)) I'm afraid the best way to build your supply is to get those babies to the breast, they are much more efficient at drawing out milk than a pump.

Here's not harm in putting them on then topping up after a boob feed, or if you want to take the edge of their hunger give a small bottle then on the boob.

Spend as much time skin to skin with them as you can. Ideally take to bed with them. Spend a whole day in bed, get someone else to being you food/drink/nappies etc, let then have skin to skin and latch on as often as they want. Xxx

On my iPhone - so cant see tickers :(

I went to a breast feeding support group and the HV who runs it offered me the use of a hospital grade pump. She told me it costs £15 for the pump parts, it's free to hire for 2 weeks then it's £5 a week. When my OH went to collect it from the local surgery she realised we are on benefits and have us the pump for free, said I can keep it as long as needed and not pay a penny. She even gave me an extra bag with pump parts so I can double pump. It has increased my milk loads and is so much faster than the manual pump I was using.

Call your HV and ask her if they hire pumps or Google a local BF support group and ask there hun, good luck xxx

Here's the pump, it's a belter

utabe9ud.jpg

Tapatalking so can't see sigs or click thanks!

((Big hugs)) I'm afraid the best way to build your supply is to get those babies to the breast, they are much more efficient at drawing out milk than a pump.

Here's not harm in putting them on then topping up after a boob feed, or if you want to take the edge of their hunger give a small bottle then on the boob.

Spend as much time skin to skin with them as you can. Ideally take to bed with them. Spend a whole day in bed, get someone else to being you food/drink/nappies etc, let then have skin to skin and latch on as often as they want. Xxx

On my iPhone - so cant see tickers :(

Agree with this completely, they need to be on the boob :) x

I do also completely agree that boob is far better than a pump, there's no doubt about it but I do think in your situation a pump as well would be good to get your supply up. Put them on the boob as much as possible but also pump regularly.

I am having an issue atm because my little man has failed to latch properly since birth so for me the pump has been a lifesaver. I am still persevering though and trying all the time to get him to latch, infact we are currently in bed together as I write this both naked all but my pj bottoms lol. He even managed a few minutes latched about an hour ago without a Nipple shield!

Luckily I am creating enough milk using the pump but I am sure my supply would have gone without it. I currently get 4-5 ounce every 3-4 hours.

I also think that, if you are a worrier like me, watching the milk fill the bottle, calms me down as seeing it with my own eyes is the best proof I can have that I am producing. I know that if I manage to get my little boy to latch regularly I will still carry on pumping a bit for my own piece of mind x

Tapatalking so can't see sigs or click thanks!

H Hun, first if all you're doing amazingly so don't forget that. Because Harry was prem I had to express and use bottles in hospital and then my supply wasn't great. I think the best thing to do as previously said is let bubbas feed from the boob as long as they will and then just give them a top up so you know they're getting something. You may need to cluster pump in the evenings as a baby would. Perhaps ten mins every hour (yes its a complete pain in the arse but if you really want bfing to work then its worth it). Drink lots and lots of water and plenty of skin to skin. Also making sure you pump in the night as that's when supply is best. Tweety and sallybee are good with expressing and supply as well as the ,aides who have already commented xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back