How sick are you feeling?

Little_Pip

Reaction score
We TTCed for the first time last month (not pregnant)but we have decided to stop temporarily due to work.

I am worried I'm going to be feeling sick/exhausted etc. and basically not being able to do a decent job at work. I love and need my job. I work 48 hours a week and commute 15 hours a week so it's pretty challenging. All these years, I have not called in sick even once.

How bad has it been for those of you who are pregnant? Are you able to function as well as usual? Have you called in sick?

Thanks

Last edited:
I wd off sick for 5 weeks (1 week hol) as I was sick all evening and night but I couldn't function during the day and slept for hour's. I used to work 55 hours including travelling and found it ready hard xx

Not every one gets sickness, but sickness aside, early pregnancy is bloody exhausting! It's a struggle to get through the day sometimes!

I won't lie, I have found tri 1 very difficult this time. I am now 12 weeks and thankfully have picked up this last week. The tiredness has been unbelievable, like nothing I can liken it to. I also was very very sick, reaching a peak in week 10 and having to get medication from the doctor.

I also love my job but I wouldn't have been able to cope if hadn't taken early finishes and used days owing etc to have extra rest. I was on the verge of going off sick several times, particular when sickness reached a peak and my blood pressure was low.

After having such problems conceiving though, I would always say to people that if a family is what you want, don't delay it because of work, if you are ready.

However, I coped fine when I had my son 12 years ago. Perhaps the different is I'm now 35 and not 23??

Weeks 6 - 18 were horrific. I had to stop work, but I do think I had it worse than "the norm". Not everyone gets it mind xx

Ive been sick once so far...

I hope it stays away.

xxxx

Nausea up until week 5 then barely any symptoms, very tired and feeling cold a lot apart from that...nothing.

I had no sickness or nausea with my first and a little bit of nausea for 3 weeks ish this time but the nausea stopped around 10 weeks x

Not every one gets sickness, but sickness aside, early pregnancy is bloody exhausting! It's a struggle to get through the day sometimes!

I agree. Apart from feeling a bit queasy when hungry I have been really lucky and haven't had any sickness yet (there's still plenty of time though!!)

But I have felt so exhausted and some nights haven't been able to sleep. Like you I normally love my job but being pregnant does still make it very hard work.

Like someone else said though if you're feeling ready don't put it off as you don't know how easily you'll conceive xx

I'd projectile vomited and was struck with migraines several times a week. I ended up working part time really soon as full time 36 h were too much with the sickness. Me and works toilet had a fab relationship!

I was really bad ended up off work for 6 weeks and lost a stone and a half. Had terrible nausea all day every day and it went on for about 9 weeks. I'm 17 weeks now and still getting bouts of bad nausea on and off. Saying that I think I'm an extreme case I know people who sailed through it. I did with my first 2 pregnancies so each pregnancy is definitely different. Good luck with whatever you decide xx

I worked a 60 hour week plus weekends and nights and managed ok up to 16 weeks and then had to take two weeks sick leave due to fatigue. my work were very understanding and doctors signed me off immediately without any problems. I was back at work 3 weeks later, feeling better and rested and changed by hours so I wasn't so stressed. Nearing the end of the pregnancy I was put into roles which meant I didn't have to walk far and could sit down.

Try not to worry about how you will cope with pregnancy as everyone is different and you may have an easy pregnancy. If you don't you shouldn't feel worried about taking sick leave - you need to do what is best for the baby and not worry about what your work colleagues might think.

You can never know really some get it awful and some have nothing. I had hg first pregnancy and was off work for 20 weeks this time I managed with just morning sickness and being able to go in to work x

I've only been sick a handful of times but like the other ladies have said the exhaustion is out of this world! I commute 120 miles a day to work and it's basically awful so I've stopped, hopefully getting a job closer to home xxx

I had nausea from 4 until about 6 weeks, it's stopped for now ( hopefully it won't return!) Just getting mild cramps down below, thats it x

Not very sick at all!

Very tired, though, and have had one migraine so far.

I love my job, too, and haven't had a sick day for years. However, if it comes to it and I need it then my health now comes first. Take each day as it comes and don't worry about symptoms you haven't had yet!

I've only been sick once - have felt quite sicky at various points but it hasn't really impacted my work :) the tiredness is what I'm finding the worst! Xxx

I've only been actually sick a few times but I'm exhausted and my sleep is all over the show! X

Thanks for your replies. I'm more scared than ever haha. It sounds like no one here managed to function really well- everyone had symptoms!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back