how often do you bath your dog?

Kimbo

Reaction score
how often do you bath them?
we bath ours once or twice every 2 week, but she sometimes needs it more when she's been out for a long walk because her fur is so long it gets really muddy, you can imagine by the colour of her aswell how dirty she gets!
is it not heallthy for them to bathe too much??

roxibest-1.jpg

We never bath ours. I've had my collie cross over 10 years and he has had one bath and that was in the first few months I had him. The other, a lurcher has never had a bath or seen any dog shampoo on her. She is now 9 :) I hose them off with water if they are really muddy and then towel dry them is all. The lurcher is a fawn colour and mud shows up on her, but it soon fades once rinsed off and towelled. I don't worry too much about it, its all natural to a dog :)

Bathing them too often strips all the natural oils etc out of their coats. Its not an ideal thing to be doing every other week, even with mild shampoos. Dogs are meant to be hardy and their coats are designed to cope with water and mud, not soaps and smellies :lol:

I'd be inclined to stick to warm water, towelling off and then brushing if need be but I know most people would rather their dog not be muddy or wet and therefore like to have them 'clean' before they let them back in the house.

Sherlock said:
We never bath ours. I've had my collie cross over 10 years and he has had one bath and that was in the first few months I had him. The other, a lurcher has never had a bath or seen any dog shampoo on her. She is now 9 :) I hose them off with water if they are really muddy and then towel dry them is all. The lurcher is a fawn colour and mud shows up on her, but it soon fades once rinsed off and towelled. I don't worry too much about it, its all natural to a dog :)

Bathing them too often strips all the natural oils etc out of their coats. Its not an ideal thing to be doing every other week, even with mild shampoos. Dogs are meant to be hardy and their coats are designed to cope with water and mud, not soaps and smellies :lol:

I'd be inclined to stick to warm water, towelling off and then brushing if need be but I know most people would rather their dog not be muddy or wet and therefore like to have them 'clean' before they let them back in the house.

it's not just that, its just she stinks like a bad fart when she's been rolling in mud and jumping in the canal too lol

we've bathed our staff-collie about 4-5 times and we've had him since feb - with muddy paws and stuff, we just have those pet wipe things which are like wet wipes to get the worst off him.

i like it when he's clean though... he gets the puppy-like smell of warm weetabix!

x

Kimbo said:
it's not just that, its just she stinks like a bad fart when she's been rolling in mud and jumping in the canal too lol

You can get some stuff that neutralises bad odours on dogs. It used to be sold in a purple and white bottle and have a picture of a skunk on the front. Literally just rinse it into their coat and the smell is gone. We used to use it on ours when they rolled in fox/badger muck or dead mice after haymaking. Works like a charm.

I stopped using it ages ago though as I learnt to live with all the doggy smells and stopped worrying. Our house doesn't pong, the dogs smell a bit doggy, but thats ok by me. Plus the worst of the smells fade after 24 hour or so. If they stink they sleep in the kitchen overnight and not anywhere else downstairs. Considering our kitchen has various chickens and chicks in it at any given time also, muddy wellies and horse stuff to boot, a dog whiffing is the least of my worries :lol: :roll:

Our dog is bathed about once a fortnight, she wears a coat beacuse of her breeding (she's a cold hating greyhound) so we dont need to worry about oils being removed as she doesnt get wet often. I try to do it as little as possible but as she is black and white (mostly white) she gets filthy. :rotfl:

Our dog is bathed once a month because he doesnt like lifting his leg to wee so he just leans forward and wees on his front legs :roll: I dont bath him in the house, we get a pooch mobile round and they bath him, clip his nails, clean his eyes and ears and dry him (he's a Cavalier King Charles) :wink:

ive only bathed our dog once since we got her in august last year, shes a border collie cross so she dont need a bath that often, plus i thought if you bath a dog too much it washes their natural oils away, what keeps their coat healthy, maybe im wrong :think:

You bath dogs :shock: :lol:
Our dog is such a princess, HE is always cleaning himself, its his breath that's a problem :puke:

Here he is;
isaacandmilo.jpg

I've had harley (border collie) for 7/8 months and she's had 3 baths and ready for the 4th. I take her to a salon though as it's too much hassle to sort her myself :oops:

as and when really , no time limit if she needs it she needs it . specially if she's rolled in fox poopoo cos that stinks the whole flat out!

I bath my doggie every couple of weeks, then every 6 he goes to the pooch parlour to get cut and his nails done etc. He's a shi tzu :)

Redshoes said:
You bath dogs :shock: :lol:
Our dog is such a princess, HE is always cleaning himself, its his breath that's a problem :puke:

Here he is;
isaacandmilo.jpg

Harley fancies your dog :lol:

ive got a yorkie and she gets bathed once a week and she loves it. her coat is in gorgeous condition, we use baby shampoo

abou 3times a year id reckon lol.

they do say it isnt good to bath them too often.

if sasha gets muddy, i take the baby wipes to her.

she rarely needs doing, unless she is dripping with mud

shes a border collie. and keeps herself quite clean really.

i say only bath your dog if absolutely nescessary. it just isnt too good for them when they are done too often

It depends on the breed and type of coat. Kimbo what breed/breeds is your dog?

We have a Westie, and they are prone to skin problems so we can't bath him too often as it removes all the moisture from the skin and coat which causes dry, itchy skin. But seen as he's WHITE and likes to swim in muddy lakes it's not always easy not to bath him. We try to leave it as long as possible before bathing him so it's usually every 2 months.

If you're worried about drying her skin out you can buy special shampoos that don't remove the moisture. We use Episoothe, Masaleb is also very good. :D They are quite expensive but definitely worth it, I'd never use a different shampoo on him.

Also, give her a good brush once the mud is dry and it normally comes out. You can get sprays that smell nice if you're worried about the smell too :wink:

Heres my chaz when he's clean...(which isn't very often!)
Charlieoverchristmas009.jpg

We have a chocolate Lab the size of a walrus. Couldn't lift him into the bath if I tried so OH gives it a go once a year. Luckily brown doesn't show up the dirt too badly! :D

suzy100 said:
ive got a yorkie and she gets bathed once a week and she loves it. her coat is in gorgeous condition, we use baby shampoo

Johnsons baby shampoo is great :D Do you use any conditioner on her?

we have a king charles spaniel that has major skin problems, and her age (almost 10 years) means she sticks all the time. We cant bath her tho as it irritates the skin more. We probably bath her about 3 times a year.

I have a lab who is 3 and has probably had 2 showers in her entire life, my Dogue de Bordeaux who is 18 months and is as yet unshowered!

They get caked in mud and swim in the river but i towel them off and they soon smell fine again

Dogs coats have there own natural oils which are designed to clean themselves and i know my dogs dont smell even though they are unwashed as visitors dont even know we have dogs until they see them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back