how much to feed baby...

Miss_impatient

Reaction score
Just looking to see how much is normal for a one week old baby to be eating!

LO fell into a nice pattern of taking four ounces every four hours. At the moment, when I feed him I wind him regularly. When I get towards the end of the four ounces I'll wind him. He normally seems quite content food wise at this point.

However, I'm struggling to get him to settle and go to sleep. Last night he was waking after three hours and despite trying to sooth him to sleep he wouldn't go. So I fed him after three hours twice.

However, this morning he woke after three hours again. He wasn't crying out for milk so I decided to settle him outside the Moses basket. He fell asleep on my lap after a bit of fussing and slept through to the full four hours. After mat time, he wouldn't settle again. Had to get him to sleep in OH's lap again.

I don't know whether its just a case that LO loves to sleep on us (we had a couple of nights where we had to tag team throughout the night to get some sleep as he would not go down in Moses basket) or if maybe he needs a little more food to be fully content.

Its just that five ounces every four hours seems like a lot for a new born. I'm worried about over feeding as I sense that he would keep going forever if I let him!

How much and often were your babies feeding?

How old is your baby?

When Alfie was a new born, he never settle properly and when we saw the HV she advised us to up his formula per feed until he seemed satisfied and content. He was having 4oz every 3 hours when he was about 2/3 weeks old. I said to the HV I was concerned about over feeding him and she said it's hard for babies to be over fed, he will either stop wanting it or sick it up and after that we started listening to his cues and he settled and started sleeping through the night.

Do you use a dummy? He may be looking for comfort too.

He's 8 days old.

I did discuss with the mw and she did sort of say the same thing. I think I have gotten better at reading his cues, I'm just finding it hard to distinguish between wanting his dummy and some comfort and wanting feeding!

We have used a dummy pretty much since day one. He does seem to like it but its not enough to get him to drift of on his own. Sometimes sticking my arm in the basket helps but mostly he wants to sleep in my arms!

Aww so he's still very teeny tiny! I remember Alfie would also fuss after I'd put him down. In the end I started sitting on the side of the end and tucking him into his Moses basket, the I'd just gently rub his tummy so he know I was there and could feel my touch, as soon as he looked like he was about to drop of I'd quietly get back into bed. I used to rock him to sleep, but as soon as I was putting him down he'd wake back up but this seemed to work for us.

Sorry I've not been more useful!

Keep an eye on intake and timings, purely because Jackson went from 4oz every 4h very quickly to 5oz every 3 or so hours which I was told was he had a good appetite.

It then ended up throughout the day he was eating far too much (side box guidelines) I dont normally go by the box but he was eating almost double the amount. Ended up he had silent reflux and was eating to sooth his pain but then it would only get worse afterwards.

I ended up just reducing him to an oz an hour and having to like reprograme his feeding. So if you feel comfortable going at his time for food atm, perhaps if he goes 3 hours give 3oz, and so on. I did this and within a week or so Jacksons eating was back to normal.

Also Id say, if they sleep during the day I would wake them on the 4th Hour for a feed.

Helps establish sleeping and feeding patterns.

Good luck xxx

He is still so teeny Toni - he's so cute I almost don't want him to get bigger! I've done the hand on the chest thing, sometimes its worked others as soon as I've taken my hand off he has woken up! Have slept with the basket right up against the bed with my arm in it just to get some kip! That was painful.

Thanks for the heads up russellmuscle - how did you find out it was silent reflux? Was it purely that he was eating far too much?

No no, basically at first he was eating the right amount then he would just take all of the 4 oz and cry for more so id give him the 5oz then hed be fine... For an hour and all hell would break loose. He would be in agony. MW says oh hes a good eater keep it up so every 3 hr hed scream as if he was starving and the same another 5oz and I ended up going to GP - they gave me gaviscon but it was out of stock so i learned myself to hold off as long as i could as i knew it ends up in a loop. Basically what happens is they eat and because its sore they drink to sooth the pain and mixed with constipation aint good. (Gaviscon causes constipation aswell so didnt really want that)

I dont mean to scare you alot of babies do have a good appetite but if you notice he is in pain (arching of the back whikst feeding etc can be w good thing to look for) and hes taking more try and cut back and see if it helps. We changed milk too. The sma wasnt good on his tum we found the C&G more creamier and easier to settle.

I found the oz an hour helped break the circle of hunger then pain. And at the same time he fell into the correct 4oz for 4h for a good while.

Some people like the hungry baby but i read thats all starch and bulk. But have no real experience on it.

Xxxx

Last edited:
I don't think 5oz for a newborn is a lot, some babies do just eat more than most. I think if baby isn't in obvious pain or discomfort, its not reflux but as always it's better to get checked than not.

In terms of sleeping on you - he was in your tummy for 9 months, feeling your warmth and hearig your heartbeat every second of his life. Suddenly he's out in this cold, empty, loud yet silent world. It's only normal he's going to need love and comfort from you. My ds1 still liked to snooze on me right up until 6 months and, whilst I wouldn't do it all the time, we did still have our cuddles. Don't let people make you think you're makig a rod for your own back, they grow out of it and you'll probably miss it when they do so enjoy it while you can! If you need to get things done, get a sling that puts baby on your chest and give you both hands free.

I would up the oz until he is satisfied (at this age he should fall asleep on the bottle). Try not to stress over cues - if he's hungry he will spit out the dummy and cry or moan for food.

Last edited:
Not sure if you seen what I posted but 5oz every 3h for a newborn is way to much.

I also did say keep an eye, not your child has reflux lol.

Posting from experience :)

I read the original OP as 5oz in 4 hours? I didn't mean to imply you had said he does have reflux, I meant my post in general terms and not as a direct disagreement with you. I never knew constant feeding was a sign of silent reflux, you learn something new every day!

Ahh I see, I thought you were responding to what I was saying my bad.

Silent reflux is quite hard to get a diagnosis because of the non sickness. I fought for mine, I knew something wasnt right.

xxxx

You didn't scare me! Its good to know this kind of stuff as its something to be aware of. Austin has settled down now. I started putting an extra half an ounce to an ounce in his bottles. He's taking just over 4 oz and I think having the extra in the bottle just helps to make sure he doesn't end up gulping loads of air at the end.

I do love Austin cuddles but it was the fact he would not sleep at night unless he was in mine or OH's arms. OK at the moment but when OH goes back to work next week I will be taking over all night time feeds and looking after him during the day. I was scared I'd be getting no sleep!!!! A bit of persistence last night and managed to get him to fall asleep in his basket! You really have to keep trying things again and again - but as my name suggests I have no patients!

Yeah a 1 week old baby does and eats what it wants, we just have to keep up lol xxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back