How much to charge for babysitting?

lisey

Reaction score
Hi all,

I am looking for some advice. I have recently left my job. One of the parents has asked me to look after his children occasionally, he asked how much I charge...I have no idea. I haven't done babysitting before, so not sure how much is reasonable? I just worked in settings and schools. I am based in London so rates are usually higher. I am qualified and many years of experience and he said he wants to pay me fairly as there are 2 children.
What do you think is fair? If you have children and wanted a babysitter, what kind of amount would you expect to pay per hour? I am very fair and won't charge over the odds just need some input xx

Last edited:
Hi,

I have 16years of experience in childcare, live in Berkshire and charge £8 ph for evening babysitting and £10-£12ph for daytime care. Obviously you could charge more in London but depends on your experience x

Hiya, thanks for your reply :) I have been working in childcare for 12 years so far, I was thinking £10ph, my OH said £15 but he tends to go over the top. I think that's far too much, even for London xx

Are you doing it officially or "cash in hand". If official you have to consider things like insurance and paying taxes etc. Also even though you have worked in childcare, if you are looking after the kids at your own home you would be considered a childminder and need to register with OFSTED and have your house inspected.

I'd say what you are charging would depend on those kind of things.

A childminder where I live charges £3.50 an hour per child for regular care (full time and before / after school) and charges £5 per hour for one off hours here and there.

Last edited:
Oh its only helping them out every so often at their house so not childminding. I assume they will be paying cash but I will be taking receipts of payments to do it all properly xx

£10/12 is usual for London.

Thanks, I feel like its too much but it does seem the norm for London. I think I will ask for 10 as they literally live around the corner so no travel expenses or extra time to get there x

You never know whats the norm for your area unless you investigate some local ads. I know what my time feels like its worth may not be the same as what others think, but Gumtree should give you a baseline for your area, and no doubt before you mention a price they will probably researched these avenues beforehand.
Personally if I could find a great babysitter I would pay upto £15 but in the past I don't think I've paid more than £12 or so

Yes I think 8-10 per hour is a fair price. good thread.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back