How much should I express?

Discussion in 'Breastfeeding' started by SaraLouise, Aug 1, 2013.

1. SaraLouise

SaraLouise Well-Known Member

I'm getting my hair done on Monday and am leaving Harrison for the first time (anxioussss), how much do I need to express off to leave with him?

He will be 4 weeks 3 days, and I need to leave him with at least two feeds I think.

Sent from my HTC One S using Tapatalk 4 Beta

2. tiggy85

tiggy85 Well-Known Member

http://kellymom.com/bf/pumpingmoms/pumping/milkcalc/

This is a good indicator. You need to know how many times in average they feed.... Luca feeds 6-7 x day (nearly 7 months old) so I give him 4oz in a bottle. Apparently they don't massively eat more when they are older. Enjoy having your hair done :)

3. SaraLouise

Ah lovely thankyou, he is feeding between 11 & 12 times per 24 hours so I guess ill leave him with 2x80ml bottles?

4. HL28

HL28 Well-Known Member

I just took lo with lol. And feed her when she needed it. I'd leave atleast two feeds for two hours x

5. vinandbella

vinandbella Well-Known Member

Try him with a couple of bottles before then, give you an idea of how much he needs and that he will take a bottle xx

Sent from my new shiny iPhone using Tapatalk

6. SaraLouise

He takes a bottle easily as I often top up with expressed milk after a feed as he's a very slow/sleepy feeder.

I'm thinking if I just express off as much as possible between now & then, then it should be okay!

7. l_maclean

l_maclean Well-Known Member

A word of warning, bf isn't just about the amount LO needs, there's a comfort issue as well, and first time baby is left to feed with someone else they may feed a lot more than the calculator says.

The first few times I left DD we expected her to take 3oz per feed using the calculator, but she actually took 6! That last quite a while. The more you can leave the better really. X

8. stargirl

stargirl Well-Known Member

I found my lo takes anything between 40 ml and 90 ml out of a bottle and can take up to a hr to take it. But only has about 8mins on the breast. Also after having a bottle he can be unsettled so I find if I leave him when I come back I have to offer him the breast for comfort to help relax and settle him. He's a lot more contented after a breastfeed then a bottle. I'm doing the same on Monday, having my hair done. I'll be leaving 2 100ml bottles and another 50ml one just incase. But hopefully he won't need all that. X