How much play money do you have each month? Saving up here!!

MamaJay

Reaction score
So im working out mine an my partners finances as we are looking on saving for a mortgage. I work part time due to return to work soon. My partner works full time.

Ive worked out after bills food etc etc AND putting money away we will have 100 pounds a week to clothe ourselves and the baby plus spend on fun days out or whatever. That is our fun money.

Ive never really done this before so sorry if i sound silly but id be interested to know other peoples budgets as im worried incase mine is too low. OR if i could put away more money.. xx

Last edited:
We do something similar. Dh transfers £350 per month to my sole account and this entertains and clothes us each month. This is for a family of 4, eldest is in school so doesn't need much in terms of clothes or entertaining so I manage to save some for school holidays. No 2 is starting school in September, and no 3 is due in June - might need to adjust the budget then. Some months we overspend, others we under spend.

Zero! Not a penny left after paying bills , food shopping, petrol and buying our son why he needs, if I need extra I have to work a few Sunday's but not a lot to put away

We usually have about £250 a week to live off of. That's for weekly food shop (70) & petrol for both cars (50) too, so after that we usually have about £130 a week 'fun money'. Our outgoings are quite high (about 2k a month), after bills and our weekly money we put away about £200-400 a month savings for birthdays/xmas/holiday. Some months we have a lot on and its 200 or a bit less, sometimes we have quiet months and can save more. We're not saving for a deposit but the house we bought last year is needing renovated so right now we have about 10k of work still needing done. Hubby thankfully can get extra work (web designer) so this extra money is what we put into the house. Your money each week is definitely doable, and the better weather is coming so even easier to plan fun things that don't cost. The year before we got married and had to save we done lots of picnic in big parks and trail walks, strawberry picking, visiting farms, days on the beach. Just plan and you'll be fine! The weekends we don't plan anything is when we end up spending more. Good luck saving for your deposit :) xx

Last edited:
We put 65£ a month to high-risk investment fund, and 200£+/- (depending on the month) to our "disaster" fund where we like maintaining 5000£ for unexpected costs, however right now we don't have quite that much. Other then that we save 5000 a year in joint savings. We don't have any kids so right now we are saving up for baby 2019/2020. So veeeery little 'play money'.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back