How much formula?

Claire123

Reaction score
How much formula does your 6month old have in a day?

Im breastfeeding with the odd bottle of formula but soon want to wean her off the breast. Just wondering how much and how often she should be having bottles? Atm we are feeding on demand but since she has started with the fruit and veg purees isnt too interested in milk (except for 3/4 times a night!!!)....at least with bottles I will know how much she is having.

Thanks ladies xx

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

My little man had 4x 8oz bottles at 6 months, then dropped to 3x 8oz bottles at 7 months as weaning progressed xx

Thanks lolly. What times did you give the bottles? This is all new to me as so used to feeding on demand! Also was your bubba sleeping through then? Xx

My lo is 6 months and was having between 37-42 oz of milk a day until recently when we started weaning. He is eating fairly well and is still managing about 30oz.

James was having 37oz a day (sometimes a little more, very rarely less)

He's dropped a little since we've started weaning but not much.

His bottles are 7am, 11am, 3pm, 6.30pm and 9pm (or within an hour of these times, last bottle is never later than 9pm though)

xxxxxx

Last edited:
It does depend a bit on their size. The formula tins have a rough guide as to what should be fed at what age, but this was way more than we were feeding our LO. At 6 months, I think she was on around 4oz every 2-3 hours. She slept through the night, so last bottle was at around 7pm with first of the morning around 6.30am.

There is also no reason why you can't feed on demand like you do with breastfeeding. We did this and our LO settled into her own routine.

Jules was on 5 bottles a day totalling 32oz but since weaning and moving to 3 meals a day she's rapidly dropped bottles. She now has about 20oz aday, with two bottles a day, the first one about 7.30am and her bedtime bottle about 6.30pm.

The rest of her milk makes her porridge on a morning and she has a fromage Frais a day. She has slept through since about 14 weeks.

Jill xx

He started sleeping through the night at about 6.5 months so he had a bottle at 7am, 11am, 3pm and 7.30pm
The 11am one fell away at just over 7 months and the 3pm at 9 months xx

Well...I breastfed her this morning (6amish) then breakfast at 7. Offered her 7oz at 9.30ish (she was hungry and crying) and she took 5oz then had a good sleep. Lunch at 1pm, 5oz at 3.30pm. Going to give her supper about 5pm then offer her 7oz before bed (7pm).

Does this sound like enough? She used to sleep right through but since we have been giving her bigger portions of food she hasnt been having so much boob through the day and has been up 3 or 4 times through the night for boob! So im hoping and praying when shes onto bottles she will sleep through again.

Thanks for all the replies xx

Cay's six months on Thursday (OMG!) and is established on three meals and a snack.

He has two bottles, and milk in his porridge that adds up to 510ml.
He always has a yogurt with lunch, also.

If weaning is established, as long as they're having around 500ml a day, it's fine.
If they drop below this, your GP may recommend vitamin supplements.

Cay has -

6am - bottle (240ml)
9am - porridge (made with 30ml milk)
11am - snack (small yogurt pot or half banana or similar)
12pm - lunch (half a veggie stage 1 jar, and a yogurt
2:30pm - bottle (240ml)
4:30pm - dinner (whole meaty stage 1 jar, and whole stage 1 dessert jar)

He doesn't eat between about 5pm and 6am now, since he dropped his last night feed a week ago (which coincided with him moving from half-jars to whole jars for dinner). Xx

Oh, and happy half-birthday to Eilidh for tomorrow!! :D

Where'd the time go, huh... Xx

At 6 months, Ethan was having 3 x 7oz bottles (7am, 3pm and 7pm) xx

Can we give babies any type of yoghurt? My lo is 5m1w and I would like to introduce yoghurts but not sure where to start? She currently has porridge and 1/2 a veg purée.

You can buy all sorts of different baby yogurts in the baby food section.
They're pretty damn good too.

Not that I eat them myself, at all... Xx

Ah thanks....I forgot cay and eilidh were the same day! 6 months....crazy eh!

Cays routine is sounding pretty similar to ours then. Iv counted up and she is getting near enough 500ml formula if everyday goes like today did. Plus im hoping to keep on with the morning breastfeed so that ups her milk intake a bit. She is pretty well established with the weaning too and has yoghurt/cheese somtimes. Im not worrying so much now....its pretty clear every babys milk intake is totally varied.

How are u doing his porridge? Just now shes on those pakets of baby porridge/cereal but iv been wondering if I can get her onto proper porridge? Xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back