How much formula does newborn need per day?

HannahNeale

Reaction score
I am trying to get prepared in case breastfeeding doesn't go down well for me, or I can't if I need to up the meds I'm on after birth.. it seems to complicated though!

I have read to offer a bottle every 2-3 hours, but how many mls should be in each bottle?

Also is it okay to boil water to put in bottles, leave in the fridge and then add formula as and when required (I know you have to chuck it after 24 hours) or is it best to make them up and then put them in fridge and heat back to room temp when needed ? (I would love to know there's a quicker way than having to wait 30 mins for water to cool every time I make one!)

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
After dd, both me & dd were quite poorly. They wouldn't let us leave until she was taking 30mls per feed, which is approx. 1 oz! I would make up 2oz bottles at a time as she quickly went up to 45 mls, and at 8 weeks was taking 8oz bottles! Lol! She would feed every 2-3 hours for a good few weeks.

As for making up the feeds, for both my children I made up 2/3 bottles at a time. I would let the water cool and serve the bottles at room temperature. I didn't mess about with heating bottles for them. Usually there bed time bottle was a warm one though. The rest were served at whatever temp the bottle was! Ha! Sometimes they were warm, sometimes they were room temp. I just left them on the bench, and used as and when.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back